www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Fit first, training second.

Without the former, it wont point correctly.
    Without the latter, she wont control it effectively.
    (And she'll HATE it)

Women ESPECIALLY need detailed shotgun handling training. Guys are big dumb oafs that just suck it up and deal with the pain and muscle through the recoil. Women generally cant... until they have been taught the tricks. Then they will likely handle it better than an average dumb dude.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Sight picture (yes, you do need to aim a shotgun.)

Weight (is she strong enough to wield it effectively?)

Recoil (is it going to kick her so hard she won't ever practice?)(Yes, she needs to practice.)

Availability of ammo

Complexity of use (wouldn't go semi auto unless she's proficient with operating it)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Relatively good fit and a weight that you can handle quickly as stated by Cameramonkey.
    I would also say a quality recoil pad. It will be worth it's weight when you practice with it.
    You can get a little bit lighter weight gun by going with a 20ga vs a 12ga etc. But the trade off is generally a lighter gun will have more felt recoil with loads of the same payload.
    Most home defense shotguns aren't exactly a great fit for most people. Meaning when they mount the gun with their eyes closed they aren't lined up looking straight down the barrel when they open their eyes.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Fit, I am biased but start with a 1301 it has a super short LOP that will fit a lot of smaller statured people really well. I just broke mine in with 1145FPS 1oz ammo these guns will eat anything

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A gas operated semiauto will be the softest shooting. Also many semiauto's have shims that can be used to make the gun fit better.
    The only real downside is when they are shot a lot, they tend to get dirtier and takes a bit more to clean them.
    I would recommend maybe something like a Remington 1100 or 1187 or a Beretta with their kick off recoil reduction system would be even better but may cost just a bit more.

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    Semi-auto 20ga is probably the best if it has to be a shotgun. Semi-auto because it dampens the recoil. I did get some of my older aunts to shoot a 12ga semi-auto, but I had to help hold it up for them until just before shooting. I highly suggest not using a shotgun for women if it can be avoided.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Semi-auto 20ga is probably the best if it has to be a shotgun. Semi-auto because it dampens the recoil. I did get some of my older aunts to shoot a 12ga semi-auto, but I had to help hold it up for them until just before shooting. I highly suggest not using a shotgun for women if it can be avoided.
    There's really no logical reason for "I highly suggest not using a shotgun for women if it can be avoided". Sorry, but that is absolutely absurd.
    There are plenty of women of all ages who shoot shotguns regularly and who are some of the best shooters in the world. Then take into account that target shotguns are significantly heavier than the average filed gun or shorter barreled home defense gun. My daughter was 8 months pregnant and was still shooting her 12ga target shotgun.

People who are new to shooting a shotgun will often struggle at first with holding the gun up in the mounted position. It's often in part due to who is doing the teaching having them hold it there too long while giving instruction. Also, it's because they don't know how to properly stand with the gun mounted to have balance and movement to help mitigate recoil.
    Additionally, gun fit is paramount in helping reduce felt recoil and that cheek slap feeling as well as making it feel comfortable when mounted. It can be more difficult for a woman to find a gun that's really close to fitting off the gun rack. However most semiauto's with shims make this a good bit better and there are some brands who have started making shotguns specifically designed to fit women.

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    There's really no logical reason for "I highly suggest not using a shotgun for women if it can be avoided". Sorry, but that is absolutely absurd.
    There are plenty of women of all ages who shoot shotguns regularly and who are some of the best shooters in the world. Then take into account that target shotguns are significantly heavier than the average filed gun or shorter barreled home defense gun. My daughter was 8 months pregnant and was still shooting her 12ga target shotgun.

People who are new to shooting a shotgun will often struggle at first with holding the gun up in the mounted position. It's often in part due to who is doing the teaching having them hold it there too long while giving instruction. Also, it's because they don't know how to properly stand with the gun mounted to have balance and movement to help mitigate recoil.
    Additionally, gun fit is paramount in helping reduce felt recoil and that cheek slap feeling as well as making it feel comfortable when mounted. It can be more difficult for a woman to find a gun that's really close to fitting off the gun rack. However most semiauto's with shims make this a good bit better and there are some brands who have started making shotguns specifically designed to fit women.
    Maybe that statement was a little too general or rigid. There are going to be plenty of women who shotguns will work for, for home defense, but as a rule of thumb I would much prefer training them on an AR-15. While my wife can, my mother can't. Most of the women I've trained to use whatever gun they have available can't. Sedentary women past the age of 40 TEND to have an issue. Therefore, because people age, I suggest an AR over a shotgun.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Maybe that statement was a little too general or rigid. There are going to be plenty of women who shotguns will work for, for home defense, but as a rule of thumb I would much prefer training them on an AR-15. While my wife can, my mother can't. Most of the women I've trained to use whatever gun they have available can't. Sedentary women past the age of 40 TEND to have an issue. Therefore, because people age, I suggest an AR over a shotgun.
    Honestly, I think it comes down to personal preference of what works for the individual.
    If a person is really willing to learn, train (as in taking a rifle class) and practice then an AR is a fantastic option. However, I think the shotgun is just as good of an option. Especially for say a new or very casual gun owner that might shott the gun once or twice a year. I'm talking about people who are going to shoot it with a friend or loved one and never seen out formal training. For those folks, it makes a good option because they maybe easier to remember how to operate and are often significantly less expensive upfront.

I haven't taught very many women over 40 how to shoot. However, even my 67yo mother with all her ailments can shoulder a 20" barreled synthetic stocked shotgun without trouble. Only trouble she has with it is comfortably reaching the forend to work a pump. That's another benefit of a semiauto for a shotgun. I have seen plenty of retirement age or near retirement age ladies shooting shotguns to know they can do it.
    We all age and part of that often includes vision changes. IMHO a shotgun is a little easier when a person starts to struggle with things close to them. For some an optic is a great option . But again for those who may not shoot it but once a year they will let the batteries die and render it useless.
    I've known several older shooters who struggle with seeing the sights on a rifle. Some who almost can't pick up the front sight on a pistol. Sometimes it's in part due to the bifocal lenses and finding the sweet spot to see clearly. But a few of those same people can still shoot the crap out of a shotgun because it doesn't require quite the same precision aim. Look down the top of the barrel and make sure it's pointed in the right spot.

Again I think it comes down to personal preference and what an individual is comfortable with. Along with what level of dedication they have to learning to operate what they have

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Fit first, training second.

Without the former, it wont point correctly.
    Without the latter, she wont control it effectively.
    (And she'll HATE it)

Women ESPECIALLY need detailed shotgun handling training. Guys are big dumb oafs that just suck it up and deal with the pain and muscle through the recoil. Women generally cant... until they have been taught the tricks. Then they will likely handle it better than an average dumb dude.
    skinny-chick-shooting-recoil-gun-fall-off-aap48k9rycovdq5k.gif
    Training....

Top Bottom