• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flukose

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    I am thinking that my next gun should be a shotgun. I am not overly concerned with home protection and occasionally enjoy trap/skeet. The handgun I own is simply for hobby/target practice and i don't carry.

What kind of shotgun should I look into? Thanks in advance!

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    If I were you, I'd make enough of an investment to get a quality pump shotgun. Mossberg 500, Remington 870, something like that. You could shoot for a middle-of-the-road kinda setup, or change things up if your interests change some.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    If you are looking to shoot both trap and skeet I'd get an auto or a O/U with tubes.

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Saiga with the ak47 slide fire stock!

I love my Mossberg 500. It's a good gun and wasn't very expensive.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Focus on Used. Why spend money on a gun that serves no purpose? A Seinfeld Shotgun should be cheap to minimize your losses.

While shotguns appear to be magic in Hollywood, there are actually many variations and those variations exist for good reasons. You should better define the use of the gun before you shop. You should never buy a shotgun without having shot one like it first.

Based on your OP, I would say buy a used BT-99.

flukose

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks for the input guys. I am interested in pump-action but that would probably not be ideal for trap/skeet, right? I do intend to look into used shotguns as it will be my first...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Thanks for the input guys. I am interested in pump-action but that would probably not be ideal for trap/skeet, right? I do intend to look into used shotguns as it will be my first...
    My first trap gun was a Wingmaster I bought new in 1978. I worked at two clubs and I used it like I would any gun.

If you ever get so good that a pump is slowing you down, you will buy a gamer gun for your game of choice and keep the pump as your beater.

A used Wingmaster is the best used gun deal out there. Not an Express, a Wingmaster. If you get an old one say with a slug barrel, you can always buy a 28" vent rib barrel with choke tubes and have a gun that does it all between the 2 barrels.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    "Ideal" - well, no, but you'll pay a premium for the ideal as well. My skill limits me more than my shotgun does when I shoot trap/skeet. I've got a "special" target shooting shotgun, and I can do just as well shooting a military 590a1 - and yeah, I tried :)

Like Zoub says - you can interchange barrels pretty quickly and easily depending on what you want to do. That would be the thing that would hold me back from some of the non-standard models out there, there aren't as many options for alternate setups. The wingmaster he describes is an 870 deep down, and it would make a great choice if you found one and got a good deal..

jshaft37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    I believe everyone should own at least 1 pump shotgun. An older wingmaster would be an excellent pickup for $250-450.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Saw a used wingmaster the other day and am still considering buying it. It is used for sure and not real pretty but the action is smooth as silk and everything seems A-OK in the receiver. Price is right.
    Look around and get something used. If you want new, a 590 A-1 is not to salty and they are kicka$$ pieces. I have one and I really like it. The 930 auto loader (both mossy's) is sweet and I love that one as well. Winchester 1300 defender is a nice choice.
    So many to consider.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009

Can be done but not ideal; go to the Nationals and see how many pumps are on the line.

Ryan281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    The pump shotgun is great because of versatility. You can quickly change barrels and shoot slugs, upland game, or clays. It isnt perfect for anything, but does everything well. They are reliable, durable, economical, and fun.
    Remington or Mosberg....Benelli Nova but barrels are expensive
    Ryan

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I put a like new early 80's (appears to be) Wingmaster Magnum 12 on layaway today.
    Has 2 3/4" double bead non stepped vent rib trap bbl (fixed choke) on it.
    Shop had $399 on it, but got it for less :)

Gonna make it a smooth HD rig with Remchoke deer bbl and ext mag (high comb synth stock set).

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Focus on Used. Why spend money on a gun that serves no purpose? A Seinfeld Shotgun should be cheap to minimize your losses.

While shotguns appear to be magic in Hollywood, there are actually many variations and those variations exist for good reasons. You should better define the use of the gun before you shop. You should never buy a shotgun without having shot one like it first.

Based on your OP, I would say buy a used BT-99.

Unless you know EXACTLY what you want just get a used auto and ease into the wonderful world of shotguns. Pretty soon you'll realized what suits and fits you personally. Until then an auto will be a good choice and lower recoil will be nice for long days at the range.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Cooking in the sun all day (dove blind), the long walk back across the Winamac sand is a bit of a chore with my 1100.

Maybe I'll build a cart for all the junk this yr.

When in HS (IIRC) the 1100 was 1 lb heavier than an 870, and 100 bucks more.

Last edited:

verniebernie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Bradenton Florida
    shotguns come in many variations and styles. As you said you are hunting a home gun and one that doubles for skeet and trap. First thing you have to consider is how deep your pockets are and what do I want to spend. My opinion is that a pump shot gun (washing machine) should be your last choice if skeet or trap shooting is involved. I started with a remington 870 and was an outstanding shotgun but not ideal for skeet. I purschased a used Remington 1100 to see if I liked it and if it was more user friendly and it was outstanding, and I was a young soldier not making a lot of funds and it fit right in. I really fell in love with International Skeet and have been shooting it weekly now for some 28 years and have steped up to a Berretta SO5 and I still shoot my old used Remington 1100 that I have owned for 25 years and still works great. Berretta, Remington, Bernelli, anyone and a semi-auto I think you will be happy and have something to pass down when you someday step up and by better. Just my thoughts

Top Bottom