Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Let's hear about the best shot you have ever made, or at least one of the best shots you have ever made. It could be competition, hunting, plinking; no limit on where or when. I understand this could quickly become the liars club. We are on the honors system here. :draw:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I shot carry loads at 50 and 100 yards at the range about 3 hours earlier, so that helped quite a bit. We had been having a opossum problem. We saw one in a tree and I told someone to light it. The hill behind gave a decent backstop to the shot, so I lined up the tritium dot sights on my Glock 22 and guessed a little past 50 meters. Pacing it off later, we were about 70. I expected to have to take two or three shots, but one shot knocked him out of the tree and stopped where he lay. The HydroShok did its thing with a center vitals hit. The was some luck involved, but after the first shot, I tucked by Glock back in the holster and acted like I meant to do that. The only response I heard was Holy S#!t. :)

My only of fun one was sighting in my Anchutz rifle with some Eley Tenex (sp?). I was getting almost in distinguishable holes. A Fly landed on the 25 yard target and I got equal fly guts all around the hole. That was a fun shot.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    I think i would have to say a sparrow at about 30 yards with a .22 without a rest. (I'm not as good as some of you folks)
    Edit: Stock sights, no scope.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Ok, I'm almost embarrassed to admit this. It was with my Crossman pump pellet gun when I was about 13. I was on the roof of my porch and my buddy from the neighborhood had come over and was down on the ground. He dared me to shoot one of those little white butterflies that was flitting about in the yard next to mine. As a joke I shot from the hip and the butterfly went spinning to the ground with a hole in it's wing. This shot was from 100+ feet while the thing was erractically flying. A one in a Billion shot I know but there you have it.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    First time I pulled the trigger on one of Shay's G19s about 4 years ago. :wwub:

Haha... I was thinking the same thing, but sadly, the reason I did it was because he was trying to prove to me that it didn't matter what gun I was holding, I could still hit the center of the target if I got the mechanics of the trigger pull correct. Except it was more like two months ago for me. :):

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    One that comes to mind for me wasn't mine per se, but I had a little to do with it. A friend of mine had a new (to him) bolt action that he just put new glass on. He brought it over to my house to show me and he asked about which laser bore sight device to buy. I told him that I could bore-sight it for him without a laser. I did my best to bore-sight the thing and the next day we went to the range. His first shot was dead center on the bulls eye at 100yds. I figured I had it on paper, but I couldn't have known it would be dead-nuts. I've tried since do do that on other rifles to no avail. I can get close, but that was one in a million.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Action Half life, there were 3 pepole running at me on the top of a train, I dropped all 3 with 1 shot from a 50 cal.
    Other than that dropped a deer on the run at about 150 yards, back in Northern nevada. using rem 7mm mag

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    When esrice was about 10, he asked if he could shoot at a hornets nest hanging in a tree about 25 feet up. Using a Ruger 10/22 rifle with iron sights (propped on the side of an old Chevy pickup if I recall correctly), he took one shot and the whole nest dropped straight to the earth.

We both stared in amazement and I told him that he'll never have a better shot than that!

lovemywoods

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I can't say for sure how long ago this was, but it was at least 20 years. Several of us had gathered to sight in before deer season, and one of the guys was having trouble getting on paper with his new 50 cal muzzle loader. Getting a little irritated by all of the snickering going on behind him, he offered $20.00 to anyone that could hit a playing card at 100 yds. I had never fired a smoke stick, but when he looked my way, with more than just a little attitude I said, "put an X on the card where you want the hole, and I'll put one there". With a pencil he put an x on the card, then took it out and nailed it to the 100 yd post. Since we were just shooting out into a field on the farm, the only thing to rest on was steel fence posts, so I grasp the top of the post in the palm of my hand, and rested the rifle on top of my fist, took aim, click, bang, blink, blink, BOOM!!! When the target was retrieved, the hole took out the "exact" center of the X, one of the guys even got his caliapers out to check, and "exact" center. The guy never did get on paper, finally gave up, and sold me the rifle for $50.00. (his 20 + my 30 :):)

KimberCarry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Indianapolis. IN
    Shot a deer 250 yards with my 257 Roberts. I only had the chance to shoot about one box of ammo before hunting with it. Also my 9 year old shows me up all the time with my model 94 22mag. the kid is a natural. LOL

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    When esrice was about 10, he asked if he could shoot at a hornets nest hanging in a tree about 25 feet up. Using a Ruger 10/22 rifle with iron sights (propped on the side of an old Chevy pickup if I recall correctly), he took one shot and the whole nest dropped straight to the earth.

We both stared in amazement and I told him that he'll never have a better shot than that!

lovemywoods
    And then you ran like hell. :):

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I think I was 20 or so and knew damn-near nothing about guns, but I'd fired .22s before, and there I was, playing counselor at a summer camp. My whole cabin had had their fun and we had three extra rounds, so I decided to play a little (3 does not divide well into 11 kids)

We'd just come from lunch and I had an apple in my pocket I'd brought for one of the camp's horses.

No, I didn't put it on one of the kid's heads, Jeez!

I cleared the range and set the apple on the railroad tie at the far end, came back and loaded one of the three rounds (I don't remember for sure, but I think these were single-shot .22s)

Dead center through the apple!

Went downrange again and set it back up, turned 90 degrees, and sure enough, right through the center, I now had two perfect channels.

One more time, and this time I set it on the side, stem-end away from me, and cored it. Impressed the crap out of the kids... I didn't tell them it impressed the hell out of me, too. If I ever get anywhere close to that again, I'll amaze myself.

Again.

Blessings,
    B

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I shot a moth (maybe a butterfly) with white wings at about 12-13 yards a few years ago with a Ruger 22/45 with one shot. It exploded into white confetti when it got hit!

Most of my more memorable shots have been misses ... ridiculous misses.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I had a High School teacher who would do African Hunts. This is going off what he always told us. Well one time he was hunting something I can't remember what excatly it was but when he took the shot the animal ducked and he hit a some kind of monkey. From what I was told it was a BIG no no to kill them. And he almost go in alot of trouble.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I managed to bend a bullet around my girlfriend, close enough to flutter her hair, and still hit the target behind her dead-center.

Top Bottom