should felons be able to purchase weapons??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If he is telling the truth, which is not often the case, most prosecutors will amend a "D" felony conviction to an A misdemeanor after that many years. There is a provision in the statute to sentence "D" felonies as A misdemeanors which can be used to make the prior conviction an A misdemeanor if what he says is true. Unfortunately, most people's explanations of why they have a felony conviction bear little or no relationship to the facts of the conviction.
    I was around when all this happened to him, so I know it to be true. I will mention to him what you said about the sentance maybe being changed. I am sure he would be elated. This all happened in Illinois so I am sure that would make a difference too.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    No they should not be allowed to own. The rules are clear and the penalty severe. Do like the punishment don't do the the crime. Many times sentences are too light anyway.

INLIKEFLYNN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Speedway
    I was around when all this happened to him, so I know it to be true. I will mention to him what you said about the sentance maybe being changed. I am sure he would be elated. This all happened in Illinois so I am sure that would make a difference too.

I am a convicted felon for a non violent crime over 10 years ago. Mine was also a D felony. Part of my plea agreement was a program called AMS (alternate misdemeanor sentence). Just this week I have been dealing with a lawyer to help get the proper paperwork filed so that I can once again get my LTCH. Your friend should contact a reputable criminal attorney, mine has been very helpful and didn't charge me a fortune just to file some paperwork.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I am a convicted felon for a non violent crime over 10 years ago. Mine was also a D felony. Part of my plea agreement was a program called AMS (alternate misdemeanor sentence). Just this week I have been dealing with a lawyer to help get the proper paperwork filed so that I can once again get my LTCH. Your friend should contact a reputable criminal attorney, mine has been very helpful and didn't charge me a fortune just to file some paperwork.

Yeah, I ran into a guy at a gun shop recently. He said a lawyer offered to do the paperwork for $1000 which I thought was reasonable. He filed the paperwork on his own and said it cost him $25. I think he was just really lucky.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    I think that is true that some of these crimes are of a nature that these individuals should not have restrictions for life. So maybe some of these crimes shouldnt be felonies.:twocents:

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    If the Democrats ever get back to work, they may have an opportunity to vote on one of several expungement bills that have been proposed. They range in verbage and time limits, but the gist is that if you have a felony, and have remained felony free (and (A) misdemeanor free) for X number of years, you can petition to have the recorded sealed, and do not have to disclose it for any reason. The version I most support allows expungement after 12 years of no trouble.

I think that gun ownership is too big of a deal to strip over such a broad variety of offenses. And, perhaps the entity most threatened by an armed population shouldn't have such wide latitude in determining who qualifies for gun ownership.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I say, if they are too dangerous to release into the general population, why do we? If they are safe enough to be released, what is the big deal with allowing them to have guns?

^^^This.

It's like any form of gun control. If a criminal wants a gun, they'll get it. Limiting weapons to released felons is merely attacking the symptom. Make the punishment fit the crime, and then if a felon is on the street, he has paid his debt to society.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    I don't see anywhere in the 2nd that it says only if you are a decent person or a non violent offender. I look at this the same way I look at the first amendment I may not like what you say but its your right the same way I may not like you having a gun but I feel that it is your right.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    If a felon is deemed fit to be released, then his/her rights should be restored...The fact that WAY, WAY too many scumbags get released from prison/jail when they should be spending the rest of their life behind bars is a different topic of discussion.

felons should be allowed to purchase firearms. i didn't see anything in the 2nd about felons losing there rights

Nor any amendment(that applies) for that matter.

Maybe some of these felonies shouldn't be crimes.

I don't think there's any doubt about that.

OK, I'm officially tired of agreeing with you...I'm getting bored, so it's time to start posting things I disagree with again.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    ^^^This.

It's like any form of gun control. If a criminal wants a gun, they'll get it. Limiting weapons to released felons is merely attacking the symptom. Make the punishment fit the crime, and then if a felon is on the street, he has paid his debt to society.

This very common argument is slippery. By that logic, we'd legalize a LOT of things. Cocaine? Sure, because the criminals will get it anyway. Heroin? Yep. Stealing cars? Sure, the criminals will do it anyway. Anyway... Now I realize that in some of my examples, the act in question is 'bad' and has a victim (like stealing cars) where in gun ownership the act in question (merely owning a gun) is not, but that's certainly not the case for all of them.

I guess if I could, I'd give gun ownership back to non-violent offenders who are COMPLETELY free and clear (free of parole/probation/etc, too). For violent offenders, sorry, I'm not there. The argument that they'll get them anyway doesn't hold water for me, and you could argue that it demonstrates the disregard for the law that got them into trouble in the first place.

fergie22

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    walkerton
    to me the only ones affected are the felons that have learned their lesson and are trying to do things the lawful way.the others are going to have a gun anyway legal or not, so let the honest ones have theirs also. jmo

semper fi :patriot:

Joeyidgaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Indiana
    Penalties are in place forma reason. If a human being makes a decision to commit a crime and that crime make this human a felon, then this felon must pay the price for doing this crime. If this price means no guns, then so be it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Penalties are in place forma reason. If a human being makes a decision to commit a crime and that crime make this human a felon, then this felon must pay the price for doing this crime. If this price means no guns, then so be it.

i agree to a extent but some of the things we call felonies now should not be life time senetences. i think when this law of felons cant have guns was put in place only serious offences were considered felonies. sence then we have gone wild calling everything a felony

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I see alot of posts about people loosing their "felony" and this is 100% true. The federal mandate is 7 years with only "ONE" felony on your record. If you have received a felony and 7 years after the sentence is up you can file to have the Felony expunged. This does not reduce it to a misdemeanor, it will completely remove the charge from the record. This can happen only ONCE. So say you get it expunged and then committee another felony, you do not have this option 7 years later.

Last edited:

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I don't see anywhere in the 2nd that it says only if you are a decent person or a non violent offender. .

It doesn't say anywhere in the 2nd that you can't have them if you are in jail either! Maybe we should let inmates have them for personal protection.

Top Bottom