• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I watched a video ad today for some financial newsletter (clicked on the ad out of curiosity) that talked about how the economy may collapse completely in the next couple years, and it has gotten me thinking about how I am underarmed for such an event with only one pistol to my name. While I don't completely buy into the video (they are selling something, after all), it does lead me to ponder the "what if". I haven't really been thinking about getting a rifle until after I graduate college, but a lot can happen in two years. I don't want to be caught with my pants down, but I also don't want to make a rash decision.

Being a somewhat broke college student, I don't really have as much $$ as I would like to make such an investment. However, I do know I can make it happen by the end of the summer if I need to. This is really eating at me, so much so that I've spent quite possibly too much time researching rifles instead of studying for finals. :D

BTW, my favorite rifle so far is the Kel-Tec RFB bullpup carbine in 7.62x51. I live on the outskirts of the suburbs, so I figure I would want a weapon suited for both short and long range scenarios. It seems decently priced, and it isn't a gimped version of a military rifle (if I'm forced to go semiauto, I want something made for semiauto). I also like the idea of supporting innovation from an American company. But I am a complete noobie to this, so I will likely change my mind 100 times before I come to a decision.

I am interested in what people's thoughts are on this.

muncie1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    My thoughts for what they are worth is that you should get a .22 rifle first. You probably want to leave the city if everything falls apart and I think that a .22 would be best for hunting small game. If you want something heavier maybe a sks or ak-47 because you could still get ammo for it. Another option is a mosin but get some ammo too. Other guns are nice but may be harder to get ammo for (say for example a .270 or .243). I am relatively new to this as well but that's the way I see it.

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    I'm also new to this, but from what your situation I feel an ak47 would work good for you, easy to find ammo and will work well defense in suburban situation... they can be found cheap also, the wasr-10 is like 450ish I believe.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    best bet for you would probably be a SKS or an AK47. ammo is cheap and they are good enough for self defense and possibly hunting if you need to. a cheap .22 would also be good. either way the ammo is cheap

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If youre that concerned, figure out which weapon you want and start buy accessories asap. (ie rounds). Stay away from any weapon that's unique or uncommon (ie the Kel-tec youre talking about). AKs/ARs are easy to find replacement parts for and the ammunition plentiful. That's the route I'd go...

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    On a college budget i would look at investing in an battery of guns. As mentioned the .22 lr (like the ruger 10-22), a good 12 ga. (ie remington 870), A solid handgun (Glock, Ruger, S&W, Springfield) and a good centerfire rifle would be the goal. The AR, AK, Springfield, Ruger, semi-autos are all good. A bit cheaper is the SKS. In a true SHTF scenario it may or maynot atter what your carrying. I also like the 30-30 lever action for such occasions. For what its worth my go to long fun would be the AR, but i tend to carry my 30-30 in more places...... Another option is to go with the carbine that takes the same mags as your pistol (i.e. Glock and kel=tec)

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I don't know a lot about a Kel-Tec. Will they reliabily hold up to longterm use with 7.62x51? How new are they and is it a proven platform?
    This weekend I looked at a bullpup that might have been a Kel-Tec though I may be mistaken. To me it was an ergonomic nightmare.
    Have you considered an M1 Garand from the CMP? They aren't a compact gun but they're proven to be tough and effective beyond any doubt. Another plus is that they are easy to work on and parts for them are plentiful, which should always be a consideration for a SHTF gun. Given the price of a Service Grade and the condition of them it's a hard deal to pass up.
    I understand all to well the deal with money being tight. But settling for a sub-par platform is false economy.
    I think you're on the right track with wanting to go with .30 cal.
    Don't never turn your nose up to the lowly .30-30 lever gun. They may not be black or have a pistol grip and picatinny rails, but they have been the deciding factor in coming out on top in many gunfights.
    The world isn't going to end tomorrow, or next week. Save some money as you can and think about all of the options.
    One thing you might do is decide on your choice of cartridge and start laying in a supply of ammo a little here and a little there. Ammo prices are said to be going up. No doubt it will.

ETA : I see that during the time I was hunting and pecking that several other people posted too. Some of them advised a 7.62x39 weapon, another good choice. There's not a thing wrong with a bone stock SKS as long as you're still young enough to see the sights lol, I can't. But they are tough and almost unstoppable. If you take the time to look around you should find a nice one for a decent price. And once again, spare parts are available for them.

Last edited:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I think you should get a .50 BMG, especially since you don't have any other rifles. You can kill zombies and pirates from miles away. Just get the heat seeking APIT rounds. Great for killing any elephants in the area. And you can shoot the tracks off any tanks that may come your way.

If you can't find an affordable .50 on your college student salary, than I suggest a 20mm Vulcan. You can shoot planes from the sky with the precision of the Royal Navy.

Forget the Kel-tec. First you can't find them. Second you can't afford it. Third they look cool as hell but they aren't. Forget an AR, SKS, or AK. You don't know how to shoot yet, and you don't know what you want to shoot.

Get a good .22 and learn to shoot. When you can consistently shoot 3-4" groups at 100 yards, you're ready for something bigger. Then decide what you need a rifle for, and get one that meets your requirements.

The most important thing when SHTF is to learn to be invisible. Ninja's will live longer than heroes or snipers.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Buy an AK, 6 mags and 500 rounds of Ammo for now. You will have a no-nonsense, reliable, almost-unbreakable fighting rifle. From there, branch out into a 10/22 and whatever you think you may need.

Earlier posters are correct, stay away from anything that is not common for parts/maintenance issues, and I would avoid anything not in .223, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, 12 Ga, .22LR, 9mm, .40cal, .45ACP or .357 mag for your initial battery.

MeatyBacchus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    I don't know if you should stress about buying one tomorrow, but in the near future is a good idea.

I would however, get something that is more common that the RFB. That way if parts are few, there will still be some AK/AR stuff laying around.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Glad to hear that you (and I know other young people also) are coming to an understanding of the poop-storm that may result from the inevitable collapse of the U.S. financial system.

You first assignment is to read and understand the issues and what can happen when we have some level of financial collapse. Good reads:
    SurvivalBlog.com

As for your preps, you need to first begin organizing your EDC (everyday carry: pocket knife, LED light, etc.) and BOB (bug out bag: spare clothes, food, water, etc).

You said you have a pistol, that may be sufficient for now. What is it? Do you have a good holster, ammo, magazines? Have you been properly trained to use it (safety and competency)?

You DON'T need to rush into a rifle or carbine...the above are much more important for now. LEARN all you can, the survival of you and your love ones depends more on your brain than any rifle. IMHO

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Whatever you do be sure to avoid the usual pitfalls that come with financial concern panic:

1. Whatever you do, do not spend one dollar of credit to do it. Cash or no go. Period.
    2. Whatever you buy, make sure it is part of a layered system that includes food and other supplies that are just as vital (if not moreso) than ammo and steel. You cannot eat ammo sadly.
    3. Whatever gun you buy, buy only one rifle and then please, please spend the next dollars on training. The indian is far more important than the arrow.
    4. Do not, do not take any "inside info" report on "banned info" that the gov't "does not want you to know" and make financial decisions based off of it. Calm down, be still, make a good choice, and live it out. Those who get spun up are not the ones who survive.
    5. Remember that battle rifles are fun. Remember to have fun.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Glad to hear that you (and I know other young people also) are coming to an understanding of the poop-storm that may result from the inevitable collapse of the U.S. financial system.

You first assignment is to read and understand the issues and what can happen when we have some level of financial collapse. Good reads:
    SurvivalBlog.com

As for your preps, you need to first begin organizing your EDC (everyday carry: pocket knife, LED light, etc.) and BOB (bug out bag: spare clothes, food, water, etc).

You said you have a pistol, that may be sufficient for now. What is it? Do you have a good holster, ammo, magazines? Have you been properly trained to use it (safety and competency)?

You DON'T need to rush into a rifle or carbine...the above are much more important for now. LEARN all you can, the survival of you and your love ones depends more on your brain than any rifle. IMHO

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been working on my EDC since the beginning of the year (light, knife, and multitool), thanks to watching Nutnfancy's YouTube channel. I don't have a BOB yet, but that's also on my list (I just need to figure out my priorities on things). My gun is a Walther PPS in 9mm with four mags, and I've taken an NRA basic pistol course. I'm as accurate as I need to be (man-sized target at 50').

I am considering just getting a lot of 9mm ammo for now, but a rifle would be more comforting. I won't rush anything, though.

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    Whatever you do be sure to avoid the usual pitfalls that come with financial concern panic:

1. Whatever you do, do not spend one dollar of credit to do it. Cash or no go. Period.
    2. Whatever you buy, make sure it is part of a layered system that includes food and other supplies that are just as vital (if not moreso) than ammo and steel. You cannot eat ammo sadly.
    3. Whatever gun you buy, buy only one rifle and then please, please spend the next dollars on training. The indian is far more important than the arrow.
    4. Do not, do not take any "inside info" report on "banned info" that the gov't "does not want you to know" and make financial decisions based off of it. Calm down, be still, make a good choice, and live it out. Those who get spun up are not the ones who survive.
    5. Remember that battle rifles are fun. Remember to have fun.

Exactly what he said ^^^^^^^

You can get one of every type of gun, or you can learn to use the one you have. Guess which one is more likely to help you in the future?

Take a little while to learn what you need and don't make impulse buys. On your limited budget (like most of us have limited budgets), it is very important to make your list and check it twice before putting out cash for supplies. Remember also, training is usually a better value than gadgets or guns. Not a popular idea, but true non the less.
    :twocents:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    someone stated it above. i believe usmc stated. off the bat for the money buy a ruger 10-22 and 5k rounds. learn to shoot it and every paycheck stock up on more 22 ammo. i can run my 22 out to 200 yards w/ head shots. its not easy but with practice its possible for sure. and then if something pops off and you have to roll you can grab all 5k rounds, guns, mags ect and still be at less weight than a ar and 200 rounds.

don't get me wrong a nice battle rifle is good but for about 400 dollars you can be completely set up and ready for most situations

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Saiga in 7.62x39 or 7.62x51, built to last. Got em both with several thousand rounds for each. For a SHTF scenario you want something that will put whatever your aiming at down. I just don't see a .22 doing that. It WOULD be good for hunting small game, that is all.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I knew I would take some hits for even thinking about something that is not standard. I can see the reasoning for using a standard gun, but I think it isn't such an important criteria.
    If I have a reliable weapon that is easy to maintain, a lot of ammo (>1000 rnds), spare mags, and several spare parts for the weak links, then I think I will be reasonably secure. If I live long enough to run down my gun, run out of ammo, or use up my spare parts, then I'm a lucky man. And if any of the above happens, then I'm likely to have obtained a significant amount of arms and ammunition from fallen foes.
    I also doubt it will be so easy to just "find" the parts and ammo for common weapons due to the very fact that they are common (unless you do the above and obtain them from those who used them against you).

I've got nothing against AKs, but I want the power of the full 7.62 cartridge since I'm restricted to semi-auto. I don't like the idea of a DI AR15 (if only for cleaning/maintenance), and the gas-piston designs are no cheaper than the RFB. The RFB is cheaper, lighter, and shorter than an M1A, which is what I'm comparing everything to since it is a highly recommended rifle.

Anyway, just felt I had to explain my reasoning/beliefs. Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I didn't expect so many posts in such a short time (probably missed several while writing this one). I definitely have a lot to consider in the coming months.

Top Bottom