• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Hello Guys and Gals
    I have a Glock 22 that was set up for Competition in the process it had a 3.5 lb. trigger. So my question is should I carry it or will it get me in trouble with Lawyers after a confrontation. i.e. Citizen in shooting with hare trigger. or something stupid like that.
    Thanks for any comments

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Would you rather have it when you need it and deal with the repercussions later, or not have it when you need it and never need to worry about guns again (ie: because you're dead)?

Do you have another carry piece?

It's not hard to swap a glock trigger back to factory specs if you so choose./

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If the shoot is justified, it matters little if you pulled a hare trigger or a tortoise trigger when you chose to fire.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    If its a justified shoot, short of using depleted uranium bullets you should be fine.

steveg26

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Why not just have the 5.5lb trigger put back in it. Elmores or the glock guy out at plainfield can do it for ya.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    The only problem I'm aware of with a light trigger in a defensive pistol is that it could cause you to fire when you just wanted to maybe take the slack out of the trigger. However, if you're taking the slack out, you should be in a real bad situation, but when your under pressure and nervous, it is a lot easier to make a mistake, and you might put your finger on the trigger too soon. Knowing all that, 3.5lbs doesn't sound that light to me, since most DAY/SAME pistols in single action are only around 4lbs aren't they?

Regardless of the measured weight, if the trigger FEELS too light (as in, it occasionally fires prematurely at the range maybe), then I'd be afraid to carry it for fear of accidentally discharging the weapon. And if the trigger has a clean and obvious break, then I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Last edited:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    If its a justified shoot, short of using depleted uranium bullets you should be fine.
    No plastic coating on the bullets, that WILL get you in trouble in IN, as it's what's considered armor piercing.

Both my Glocks are supposed to be about 4.5lbs, I don't have a scale that checks but Glock - connector with NY1 springs...I never worry about trigger weight determining if the shooting was legitimate or not.

Now if you end up in a Zimmerman type incident, then yeah the media may make out modified to mean gun crazed and an ignorant lawyer may try and bring the issue up but any defense lawyer worth their pay will have that argument shut down in a hurry. But if you're in that type of an incident and you miss to the left because you didn't have a proper trigger pull due to the weight and you hit an innocent little girl, then wouldn't that be worse; my point being that you can what if things to death. Carry equipment that you know is safe and can trust to work when you need it; then train with it. Know the laws, follow them, make some contacts to have a lawyer to call if something happens. It's more important that you walk away from something and have legal basis for use of force than accommodate the what-ifs of equipment decisions.:twocents:

behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    it is not my only carry piece I just happen to like it.
    As to changing the trigger that would sort of defeat the point of having the lite one installed in the first place would it not :-D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    If I was on the jury... I think it is perfectly fine for someone to use their competition pistol for self defense.

js24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    I don't see why this would be an issue. I can't say that I know much about trigger pressure, as I am newer to guns. However, to my knowledge, self defense is self defense. As long as the gun is legal, registered and all, I don't see an issue. Personally, I'd rather have the better set up and have to explain it later, than to not and not be alive to explain it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Mas Ayoob, a prolific writer of firearms-related stuff - also a very well renowned firearms expert, has been and is called upon to testify for the defense of those who find themselves on trial for various self-defense-related shootings.

HE writes articles about how the prosecution can & will use any and all firearms modifications as another "angle" to get a conviction. If you have a competent lawyer who can debunk and/or rebut prosecution on these things...that's one story. But if you're at the mercy of an overworked, underpaid, over tired, and firearms ignorant Public Defender who is going against a zealous county/state Prosecutor... Probably a different outcome.

Jury of peers. think about it. Out of all the people that you come in to contact with on any given day, how many do you think know anything at all about firearms - other than Hollywood?

-J-

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Mas Ayoob, a prolific writer of firearms-related stuff - also a very well renowned firearms expert, has been and is called upon to testify for the defense of those who find themselves on trial for various self-defense-related shootings.

HE writes articles about how the prosecution can & will use any and all firearms modifications as another "angle" to get a conviction. If you have a competent lawyer who can debunk and/or rebut prosecution on these things...that's one story. But if you're at the mercy of an overworked, underpaid, over tired, and firearms ignorant Public Defender who is going against a zealous county/state Prosecutor... Probably a different outcome.

Jury of peers. think about it. Out of all the people that you come in to contact with on any given day, how many do you think know anything at all about firearms - other than Hollywood?

-J-

Eek. That may change things for a lot of people. Had a professor for an intro level law class at IU that told some stories about the whole "fight or flight" response that individuals have in life threatening situations and he said always flight. He mentioned that it was getting to be more difficult to prove self defense, something that seems frustrating to me. I'm not saying you should draw your gun and fire on anyone who looks at you funny, but if you find yourself in a life threatening situation you have the right to defend yourselves. I would be worried personally because as an individual who OCs, I have seen the sideways glances I often receive and people who often ask "are you allowed to carry a gun?" I would like to trust my fellow man, but I would hope that my lawyer could at least be halfway competent in presenting the case.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I don't think you have anything to worry about. I did the 3.5 lb. connector on my G26, and mainly...it just made the trigger pull smoother and crisper. The actual pull in my gun is still over 4 lbs.

behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    I have read some of Ayoob's stuff that is sort of what got me thinking about this. He has some very interesting points.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    There's no gray area here.

You're justified in a shooting or you aren't.

Only in the event you aren't justified, would anything even be on the table for discussion, of this nature.

Top Bottom