• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I have an AR-15 for sale, and found a buyer a few days ago. We had plans to meet up yesterday so he could take a look at the rifle, and finalize the deal. He didn't show, and I got a text today from his brother, from his phone. Apparently the guy was arrested yesterday over a fight at a mall. I don't know any details beyond that, but what I'm wondering is, should I give the guy the benefit of the doubt and consider selling it to him, or just give up on him and find another buyer? I'm pretty convinced that if I do sell to him, I would have a background check done at a shop, but if the guy is the type to be getting into fights, I'm not really sure I want to sell it to him regardless of his ability to pass the check. Opinions?

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    CYA. Personally, I wouldn't sell it to him. Being that you were told he was just arrested and why, deal breaker. Heck, could be some kind of ATF sting!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Move on. Whether its an excuse or a true story, either way I smell trouble.

Lots more people willing to buy one.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If he isn't mature enough to refrain from fighting at a mall do you think he's mature enough to own firearms?

Maybe the fight started over the merit of OC/CC or a heated caliber debate. I know some folks take firearms conversations extremely seriously.

Or maybe he is just an idiot.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    No Sale No Way...

Too many of those out there for sale+people to buy them. I would offer it up to someone else.

If nothing else, you do not want to have any guilt that may be in play if this BoZo happens to go off with the AR that you sold him..Bill.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    If he isn't mature enough to refrain from fighting at a mall do you think he's mature enough to own firearms?
    I understand being the seller in this case and knowing this information. Is that our decision? In every FTF transactions I've had, I never asked "Are you mature enough to own a firearm?". That is not a question on a 4473, and if I start passing that judgement onto people, I'm no better than this sorry excuse for a Government and the gun control measures they want to pass.

To the OP. I would pass since you now do not feel comfortable. But heck, if he has a INDL and a LTCH (if you decide that is something you need to see in this transaction) and you still want to sell it, go for it. Even get a bill of sales just to CYA.

rubicon_joey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    I wouldn't sell the gun to him and if he asked I would tell him, I don't want to sell guns to thugs that get in fights at the mall. I might listen to his reply if he somehow had a logical reason for the fight but, I wouldn't suspect that he does. I also wouldn't have a guilty conscience for passing judgment on him. Judgement is normally passed for a reason and often times is correct. Maybe the frustration of being denied will cause him to take a step back and evaluate the lifestyle that lead him to getting in a fight at the mall.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Everybody deserves another chance, but maybe not the same week.

I would move on to another buyer and let him cool down and re-evaluate. You don't need the hassle and he probably has better uses for the money right now.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I would have asked the brother if his brother really had the cash and was still interested.

And then sold it to him once he got out of jail so long as he told me he was not a convicted felon.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I understand being the seller in this case and knowing this information. Is that our decision? In every FTF transactions I've had, I never asked "Are you mature enough to own a firearm?". That is not a question on a 4473, and if I start passing that judgement onto people, I'm no better than this sorry excuse for a Government and the gun control measures they want to pass.

The OP received information that the potential buyer had been arrested. That is totally different than passing judgement on someone.

Top Bottom