• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THEFAT45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2013
    Knox
    I have a K31 that I would really like to take Deer Hunting, but I don't know if I get stopped by a CO if they will be cartridge savvy enough to know that the 7.5 x 55 uses a 30 caliber bullet. I think it would be neat to take an animal with the old rifle. So what is your guys/gals opinion? Take the chance and not worry about it or just grab the .243 out of the safe and call it good.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Are you seriously asking the internet (yes, this gets crawled and your results end up on google) if you can blatantly violate state law? SMH

Dont do it. The law is clear.
    https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/house/1231#document-afa20d5e

(3) The rifle must be chambered for one (1) of the following
    cartridges:
    (A) .243.
    (B) .30-30.
    (C) .300. [I presume blackout]
    (D) .30-06.
    (E) .308.

The law (and the CO) doesnt care that you think your cartrige is technically compliant because it shares the same diameter as another legal round. Doesnt matter your projectile is 30 cal. It doesnt fit the statute as written, so you are screwed.

IF you chance it, I hope you arent particularly fond of that rifle. Because its gone if you get nabbed by a CO. I think they have also been known to seize vehicles and anything else used in the illegal harvest of wild game.

Dont be a d****. Play by the rules, no matter how silly and arbitrary they seem to you.

Maybe if you print out the statute from the link above you can scrawl your caliber in crayon as item F and they'll believe you.

EDIT: IF you REALLY are that determined to harvest with that rifle, go to a state that recognizes it as a valid tool.

THEFAT45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2013
    Knox
    I am pretty sure I have read in multiple places that the law states that you can use any 30 cal. round. That is why you can use Ak47 and such. https://duboiscountyherald.com/b/dnr-offers-clarification-on-new-rifle-hunting-law . You might do your research before you go on a tangent. I may be completely wrong, but if I was it was from a lack of knowledge not because I thought I could get away with breaking a law.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Cameramonkey was on the right track, but actually the specifications have been opened up considerably from the very few specific explicitly named cartridges.
    The minimum specifications to be allowed to hunt with a non handgun caliber rifle for firearms season this fall are the following:
    1) The case must be a minimum of 1.16" in length
    2) The bore diameter of the rifle must be either .243 or .308.
    3) Just as with handgun caliber rifles, no short barreled rifles (a barrel shorter than 16") are allowed, but suppressors are legal, just as they have always been, assuming that you already have your stamp.
    4) You must hunt on private land only.
    5) You must have no more than ten rounds on your person, meaning you can have a magazine of whatever size, just as long as you have no more than a combined ten rounds. That could mean ten rounds in the magazine, none on your person; five rounds in the magazine, five on your person; or any combination in between.

Here is a (by no means complete) list of the calibers specifically named by DNR as legal this fall:
    • 6mm-06
    • 6mm BR Remington
    • 6mm PPC
    • 6mm Remington
    • .240 Weatherby
    • .243 Winchester
    • .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
    • .30 Carbine
    • .30 Herrett
    • .30 Remington AR
    • .30-06 Springfield
    • .30-30 Winchester
    • .30-40 Krag
    • .300 AAC Blackout (.300 Whisper)
    • .300 H&H Magnum
    • .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
    • .300 Savage
    • .300 Weatherby Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Short Magnum
    • .300 Remington Ultra Magnum
    • .308 Marlin
    • .308 Winchester
    • 7.62x39mm
    • 7.62x54mmR

This could also include even the insanely overbore .30-378 Weatherby Magnum.

I'm sorry to say that your 7.5x55 Swiss actually has a bore diameter of .306, which is close, but not quite close enough.
    If you had one of the multiple calibers designated as 7.62xXX calibers (7.62x51 NATO aka .308 Winchester, 7.62x39mm, or 7.62x54R are three examples explicitly named as legal), you'd be in luck.
    Seriously, don't skirt the law, however silly it may seem to trifle over 2/1000 of an inch away from being legal as specified.
    Either borrow a good friend's .243 Winchester or .308 Winchester, buy your own legal rifle, or use one of your own if you already have one.
    Just wait until this five year trial period ends, at which time the DNR will almost certainly move a recommendation to make one simple change to the law as currently written, with but one change specifically to item #2 listed above, i.e. the rifle must have a minimum bore diameter of .243, but you can use whatever caliber you want, all the way up to and including .50 BMG.
    Don't risk it.
    The consequences could be very severe, as the DNR can and will punish you severely for not following the law.

THEFAT45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2013
    Knox
    I thought you could use 7.62 to reload 7.5x55. That is where I must have been wrong. I have read that the bore diameter allowed it to have the .002 deviation. So I assumed that it would be considered a 30 caliber bore. Sorry for making everyone get in an uproar that thought I was trying to squeeze by the law. In other words I thought the 7.5 was a 30 cal and that I didn't think the CO would know that it was.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Law passed due to having "limits".
    Legislature did not name the 5 initial cartridges by proper name (four .308s and a .243).
    DNR made a clarification/simplification..........just went by cartridge and not naming all legal that fit the spec.

.308 or .243 cal............1.16 or longer case.

Did name a couple close to spec rounds specifically due to their popularity and possibility of using .308 bullets (that Russian stuff).

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Are you seriously asking the internet (yes, this gets crawled and your results end up on google) if you can blatantly violate state law? SMH

Dont do it. The law is clear.
    https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/bills/house/1231#document-afa20d5e

(3) The rifle must be chambered for one (1) of the following
    cartridges:
    (A) .243.
    (B) .30-30.
    (C) .300. [I presume blackout]
    (D) .30-06.
    (E) .308.

The law (and the CO) doesnt care that you think your cartrige is technically compliant because it shares the same diameter as another legal round. Doesnt matter your projectile is 30 cal. It doesnt fit the statute as written, so you are screwed.

IF you chance it, I hope you arent particularly fond of that rifle. Because its gone if you get nabbed by a CO. I think they have also been known to seize vehicles and anything else used in the illegal harvest of wild game.

Dont be a d****. Play by the rules, no matter how silly and arbitrary they seem to you.

Maybe if you print out the statute from the link above you can scrawl your caliber in crayon as item F and they'll believe you.

EDIT: IF you REALLY are that determined to harvest with that rifle, go to a state that recognizes it as a valid tool.

That law was NOT clear (.300 what? Savage, H&H, Winmag other?)
    .308 what? (Win, Norma Mag, Baer, Warbird etc?

The DNR made the clarification that simplified things..............243 or .308, 1.16".
    Couple of add ins specifically named too.

CO is just gonna measure case length and bullet OD. Decent calipers not expensive.

Follow the rules. But look a little to know what the freakin' rules are.

Even then, playing them right to the ragged edge may be legal, but could get some attention that might burn some wallet fodder.

It's that way with anything, duh.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I thought you could use 7.62 to reload 7.5x55. That is where I must have been wrong. I have read that the bore diameter allowed it to have the .002 deviation. So I assumed that it would be considered a 30 caliber bore. Sorry for making everyone get in an uproar that thought I was trying to squeeze by the law. In other words I thought the 7.5 was a 30 cal and that I didn't think the CO would know that it was.

No apologies necessary, but it's a safe bet that any CO you may encounter will have a list of allowed/disallowed cartridges that will have yours in the latter category.
    You didn't really get things into an uproar; we just don't like the idea of a fellow hunter running afoul of the law.
    If you don't already have a .243 or .308 rifle available, you're still in luck, as it has never been a better time to buy an affordable quality bolt action, some in the $300 category.

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    Here is a message I received today from Indiana Division of Fish & Wildlife

<dnr@subscriptions.in.gov>

Here are three questions that will guide you to the correct answers:

1. Does the rifle have a barrel at least 16 inches long?
    2. Is the rifle chambered to fire a cartridge with a case length of at least 1.16 inches?
    3. Does that cartridge fire a bullet that is either .243 inches or .308 inches in diameter (or their metric equivalents, 6mm and 7.62mm, respectively)?
    If the answer is yes to all three, then it’s legal under HEA 1231, a law passed earlier this year by the State Legislature.

If the answer is “no” to any of those three questions, it does not meet the HEA 1231 standards for new rifle options.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I don't hunt but if I did it would be with my 458 SOCOM. What did they do? Nix that caliber and the 50 Beowulf?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Call Keith Wildeman and ask....I bet his number is in the book or you can call the DNR office and he can call you back.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I don't hunt but if I did it would be with my 458 SOCOM. What did they do? Nix that caliber and the 50 Beowulf?

Nix?
    Both .458 Socom and .50 Beowulf have been legal in a rifle long before the change that allows .243 and .308 bore rifles.
    Attribution - http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/16INHD.pdf

From page 27 of the above link to the PDF:
    "Centerfire Rifles chambered for cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger, have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms, ..."

.458 Socom has a bore diameter of (duh) .458 and a case length of 1.575".
    .50 Beowulf has a bore diameter of .500 and a case length of 1.65".
    Hunt with either in a rifle with no worries.

Top Bottom