• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Yeah, we're all stupid in Indiana, that's why we hunt furbearers (according to the regs) with cool rifles...................just to F up the natural balance the "enlightened" have to keep telling us about.

No, just wanting to see if people are actually harvesting the pelts. I really do ask whomever I come across that hunts predators, and I think maybe once I got a response other than for fun. If you guys are the ones getting the skins and not the wanton wasters, then cool. Small predators are the primary natural control means for rodents and deer, so we're not really doing ourselves a service by killing off the population check.

Do you happen to own any livestock on that homestead? I'm going to assumed not. Try losing 3 calves in one winter... Then I bet you'll change your mind.

I do in fact; I have had free-range poultry for years. Chickens, geese, turkeys, and guineas in rural Boone and Montgomery counties. Never had a problem with small predators, just scavengers like racoons and opossums that were caught in the act. Nuisance animals actually damaging crops or livestock are fair game, nobody contests that. There are a lot of people that go out looking for farmland that they can hunt on, so it's not all about farmers/ranchers protecting their animals.

Losing calves is unfortunate, my condolences.

Your self-admitted ignorance on this topic is glaring, but if you truly want help to understand a subject then maybe drop the passive /aggressive condescending BS. Until then, your ignorance, accusations, and condescending attitude are not excused.

Ah, yes. Good ole ARFCOM-esque Ad Hominem. Don't worry, I don't really care how you feel; it was a manner of speech.

No need for a flame-war, please pardon the interruption and go back to the pics. :chillout:

Last edited:

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    Near the end of the long, cold, hard winter of 2013/14, I had coyotes all around my farm. Had some in the back yard. Had some in the woods behind the chicken's house. Had some lurking around the barn.
    A Remington 700 VTR 223 with a Leupold VX2 4X12X40 works quiet nicely, thank you.
    Sorry, no pictures.....I don't want to glorify the violence.

Oh, and I tried not to smile when I shot them.

Last edited:

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I lost 12 chickens this year due to coyotes. Neighbors lost two cats, lady across the street lost a small(er) dog. And from what I presume, I am not far from you, being in the Boone County Brownsburg area. Are they a problem, yes. Why? Because the only predator they have is, you guessed it, hunters. Not only are coyotes a terror to small game, livestock, and pets, but also to deer and turkey (further south) population. People that have a problem with hunting of coyotes should avoid using Raid, or any other pest controller for that matter. We cannot pick the control of one species over another.

Please take no offense. Just my stance. I respect your questions, thus giving you my honest answer/opinion.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Stevens 200 22-250......

14lq87c.jpg

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    No, just wanting to see if people are actually harvesting the pelts. I really do ask whomever I come across that hunts predators, and I think maybe once I got a response other than for fun. If you guys are the ones getting the skins and not the wanton wasters, then cool. Small predators are the primary natural control means for rodents and deer, so we're not really doing ourselves a service by killing off the population check.

I do in fact; I have had free-range poultry for years. Chickens, geese, turkeys, and guineas in rural Boone and Montgomery counties. Never had a problem with small predators, just scavengers like racoons and opossums that were caught in the act. Nuisance animals actually damaging crops or livestock are fair game, nobody contests that. There are a lot of people that go out looking for farmland that they can hunt on, so it's not all about farmers/ranchers protecting their animals.

Losing calves is unfortunate, my condolences.

Ah, yes. Good ole ARFCOM-esque Ad Hominem. Don't worry, I don't really care how you feel; it was a manner of speech.

No need for a flame-war, please pardon the interruption and go back to the pics. :chillout:

Deer is my primary meat, so losing deer to coyotes for me is like losing calves to coyotes for a farmer or anyone that enjoys beef. I also enjoy turkey hunting and eat the meat from them, so if the coyotes wipe out my turkey population that means I have none to harvest. That is why I hunt coyotes.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah, I have thought about shooting foxes but I have never had anything smaller than 223... I also don't really care to kill a fox for anything other than maybe to make a hat, stuff it, or something like that. They don't bother anything around me and I like seeing them when I do.

Buy coyotes I shoot at those suckers all of the time. I've even shot at one with a pistol just seeing it in the day from my 4wheeler... I am going to make a hat if I can kill a couple with nice coats this winter!

I shoot with an ar and a Rem700 both in 223. Also take a shot gun if one comes in close!

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Output,
    I'm gonna be in the same boat soon, moving to Indiana. Planning on some yoting my own self.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I only got one with it last year but it was 11:00pm and I was using night vision and a suppressor. Hoping to thin the heard a bit more this fall.
    IMG_9154.jpg

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is it about coyotes and foxes that people feel the need to stack them like cord-wood? Is everyone after the pelt money? The "sport" of just shooting something alive? Most people I've asked reply with essentially 'for sh*ts and giggles'.

I'm the last person anyone would call a tree-hugger, but they do actually serve an important role is a sustainable ecosystem. I have a homestead in farm country, hear them all the time, and haven't heard of any issues around here. I don't think any Brownsburgers are in danger of marauding coyotes mauling them at night. And we didn't have any issues with pets getting eaten while I was stationed in New Mexico, and we had coyotes living on-post that hung out by the dental clinic and housing areas. And on top of that, if it wasn't illegal to keep them as pets, you know a lot of hilljacks around here would have wolves/hybrids/coyote-dogs for pets.

Nice rifles, in any case.

Yotes should be eliminated.
    I have lived among these large rats in the desert out west for years and have shot them as often as possible just to shoot them. They eat and kill everything around including large livestock. I got one as it was stalking my little girl at her swing set. :ar15:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Nah. I can hit them just fine with it and it puts a nice big hole through them, works just fine.

I have sound this to be very true. My .308 is no where near as advanced as yours (basically stock Rem 700 ADL Varminter), but those 168s do a number on a 'yote. I have used the AR at times too, but the point is to put them down as quickly and humanely as possible. I would use a 338/378 Weatherby if I had one, and the money to feed it.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah I am sure that'll do it. Not any different than a 30.06 and I've seen the damage those will do to yotes... Worst I've seen is a 300 win mag, its just obliteration.

Top Bottom