SHTF food, if you could only pick 1 canned item.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    Pork and Beans so at least I could entertain myself with farting while I was bored out of my mind.

That could also help keep the family warm by providing a portable heat source. Just turn your back to whomever you wish to keep warm and light up your exhaust. The pretty blue light from the burning methane might help provide a hopeful glow to an otherwise gloomy situation.

However, for the sake of the family, I would choose the Beef Stew!!!

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I would go with this :
    spam_can.jpg

Hormel Foods > FAQs

[quote
    What is the shelf life of a Hormel Foods product in an unopened can?

The processing techniques utilized by Hormel Foods makes the canned product safe for use indefinitely if the product seal remains intact, unbroken and securely attached to a can that has been well maintained. It is suggested that all canned products be stored in a cool and dry environment to keep the flavor adequately preserved. For maximum flavor it is recommended that the product be used within three years of the manufacturing date. After that period of time, the product is still safe to use however, the flavor gradually declines]
    [/quote]

Ditto :rockwoot:

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mountain House Scrambled Eggs with Bacon! 16+ servings per can, 25 year shelf life and it has bacon in it!
    MOUNTAIN HOUSE: Eggs with Bacon, pre-cooked... #10 Can
    I like the product, but the size could be problematic. In a rationing situation opeing a big #10 can will force you to eat all of its contents in a short amount of time because of spoilage. Smaller can sizes would be the way to go so you could have a can a day or two, and worry less about spoilage.:)

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I like the product, but the size could be problematic. In a rationing situation opeing a big #10 can will force you to eat all of its contents in a short amount of time because of spoilage. Smaller can sizes would be the way to go so you could have a can a day or two, and worry less about spoilage.:)

Very true. Right now with a family of five, one can will provide 2-3 meals depending on what product it is. You can scoop out a smaller amount and reconstitute just one or two servings and seal the rest up, but it still has to be eaten very shortly.

I go with the number ten cans because their shelf life is so much better than the two-serving pouches.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    How about a compromise? Mountain House Chili and Beans! Now that's good stuff...

It serves multiple purposes. Carbs, protein, some water, and you can keep yourself warm later. It also serves as a personal locator beacon too.

It's multi-purpose.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I think your dinty moore idea sounds reasonable nutritionally. I however can't stand the stuff. I think I would go with cans of mixed vegetables/succotash. There's several veggies and potatoes along with water all in one can and meat can always be found, even if it started out as a troublesome neighbor;) Oh, I like the Progresso chicken gumbo too.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    My main meal in my SHTF stash is Spaghetti O's w/ Meatballs and Beef Ravioli. However, I'm working on adding more Beef Stew that has more than just potato's and carrots. I found an off brand a Kroger that has peas in it too and added some of that.

However, I also have 20 cans of Vienna Sausage because if for some reason I have to leave the main supply behind I still have meat. I also have 16 packages of Ramen noodles too. A bottle of Tabasco sauce, salt, pepper, and I'm looking to add one of those 8spicesinacan deals.

My thinking with the noodles is that it provides carbs that you're going to need to keep your strength up. I'm not worried about veggies because they can be readily found in Nature. If worse comes to worse, make you a salad from boiled maple leaves and boiled grass. :):

But yes, Beef Stew that has a variety of veggies would be best. My second pick would be the vienna sausage because of it's fillingness and portability.

Top Bottom