• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I understand where you are coming from with the year of food but I personally believe that is not a must. IMO, 3-4 months is more realistic as I doubt most people will have a home left after a couple months with society having no food. It would make sense to have more than enough food since you never know who will show up or you can always barter but I really don't think anyone will be in their home in a city after a few months of no law and order. However, I do agree with what Ranger is saying as far as not putting all of your eggs in one basket.

im NOT staying home where i currently live. i live in the suburbs, and that means i would be at ground zero for all the looters. I will be gone before the stupid sheep knows what happened. i have an extenssive BO plan, and might be making additions to it here in the near future.

but i do have a years worth of food in different locations. the only reason i would advise keeping that much food at your home (still not all in one place) would be if your bugging in. a guy like me who is bugging out, will only need what i have planned on carrying. i have other amounts placed in pre-planned routes along my BO routes. not all food caches would be used possibly because one or more routes will be blocked. your BO or Bug In plans, are the number one key to your survival. with no plan you will die eventualy.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I am going to store up as much food as I can.

I haven't really thought about what I would do if I had to bug out from my BOL, since its really close to where I am now. I suppose if I did have to bug out, then I would do it on horseback and fill the saddlebags with as much food as I could. Plus, I will have a BOB on my back too...

I told my old man that he needs to buy a couple rifle holsters for the horses. He didn't shoot down the idea... :):

m4-image2.jpg

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    First thing I'd do is club my cats in the back of the head - MEAL ON WHEELS BABY!

Why not....its no different than eating at a Chinese restaurant on a friday night. I would venture to guess that after a week without food the neighbors retriever would look good on a rotisserie.:D

im NOT staying home where i currently live. i live in the suburbs, and that means i would be at ground zero for all the looters. I will be gone before the stupid sheep knows what happened. i have an extenssive BO plan, and might be making additions to it here in the near future.

but i do have a years worth of food in different locations. the only reason i would advise keeping that much food at your home (still not all in one place) would be if your bugging in. a guy like me who is bugging out, will only need what i have planned on carrying. i have other amounts placed in pre-planned routes along my BO routes. not all food caches would be used possibly because one or more routes will be blocked. your BO or Bug In plans, are the number one key to your survival. with no plan you will die eventualy.

Gotcha...that I do agree with. I have never understood why people store years worth of food in the middle of the city and believe they will hold up. You are only one molotov away from losing all of your preps and your home. IMO, you might be able to hold up in your home but after a couple months with no city utilities it will be highly unlikely you have not been forced out.

I live on the edge of town but am not near a water source which is not good. Also, I am surrounded by neighbors but they do not know that I store anything as I never discuss that with them or even my GF for that matter. All she knows is that there are several buckets and a bunch of water containers in the basement for some reason.:): My parents house is only one mile away and they have fewer neighbors and their yard butts up to a large hay field and a very big corn field. I have been trying to get them to put in a well just in case but they don't like the idea as much as I do:D If anyone has a situation where a parent, child, or sibling live within a few miles or walking distance then I would seriously look at keeping a couple months of food in their basement.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Thanks for the spreadsheet.

I would suggest anyone who hasn't join or form up a local mutual support group.

The last thing I want to do is try to survive some world event by my self, with only my family to help.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Thanks for the spreadsheet.

I would suggest anyone who hasn't join or form up a local mutual support group.

The last thing I want to do is try to survive some world event by my self, with only my family to help.

I am in central IN, and am curious about the support group. Thanks for all the great help everyone, it's given me several ideas.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    As far as the water goes.... Shame on you if you don't have a water filter or two with spare filters. I have a katadyn base camp & hiker and they use the same filter plusI have a few spare filters. Those are for short term though. Long term I'd try to get setup where I could boil water and not use up the filters.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I couldn't agree more about the mutual support groups. I'm not in one and I don't know where to start. Seems that the older I get my list of people I'd trust with my life gets smaller. I'd like to find something where I knew I had like minded people I could depend on.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    well water with a manual pump at 3 different sources. Plus water filter good for over 1000 gallons. I'm worried about food now.

As far as the water goes.... Shame on you if you don't have a water filter or two with spare filters. I have a katadyn base camp & hiker and they use the same filter plusI have a few spare filters. Those are for short term though. Long term I'd try to get setup where I could boil water and not use up the filters.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    MSG's read all about it:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...mutual_support_groups_msg_s_a_local_idea.html

MSG1 - haven't heard anything about them.

MSG2 comprises the middle third of Indiana:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...eparedness/100858-msg2_-_next_event_poll.html

Next event for MSG2 looks like it will be Aug 14th. The general location is the New Pal/Greenfield area. The official invite will go out next week. The specific location will be sent to confirmed invites.

You can learn more about MSG3 (south Indiana)
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...redness/69864-msg3_meeting_regularly_now.html

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    One Second After

I am about 2/3 through this book and it is really good so far. It is about a SHTF scenario (specifically EMP) and makes you think about a lot of stuff.

Sorry if it has been mentioned before but it didn't come up on my search.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It gets discussed a lot in survival circles. It's an ok read, but it should also be taken as what it is: fiction. The EMP events described in the book are not realistic. What folks should think about are the social ramifications of collapse, and the "what would I do" type scenarios.

Unfortunately too many people read it and focus on the EMP and take the book as written gospel.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    It is a great read. IMHO, I feel the breakdown of social order described in the book, is more realistic than in some others. I learned the importance to stock up on meds from the book!

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    It's an ok read, but it should also be taken as what it is: fiction. The EMP events described in the book are not realistic.

I have looked into EMP and have been very interested. I also have read things that contradict the book.

What have you read/found that contradicts the book and how it protrays an EMP?

I don't want to influence the conversation by stating what I have found.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    quite a bit is mentioned in the emp sticky at the top of the page. Basically the only real scientific testing that has been done has indicated that most motor vehicles would not be damaged by the effects of emp. They may encounter temporary effects caused by spurious signals in the electronics, that is, they would stall, but start again right away.
    The threat to the power grid is much closer to that which is described in the book.
    Although the implecations on the social disorder were interesting, I just could not get that into it. I could not work myself up to actually caring about the characters.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I thought it was a good read but not nearly as good as Lights Out. I definitely agree that the book shouldn't be taken as the gospel but I think any publication, fiction or non, that gets a person to think more seriously about their individual situation as it relates to their preparedness for any type of SHTF scenario is a good thing.

I heard a rumor that the book has been turned into a screenplay and a movie is in the works. Anyone else heard this?

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Both Lights Out and One Sec After are good, but if you have not read "Patriots" yet, pick it up. I can't see the country falling apart to the extent of the book, but I believe an economic catastrophy to be more possible than an EMP blast. Then again, if it's planned... Where's my tin foil cap when I need it. :D

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    the social breakdown in "one second after" is EXACTLY what I believe we will see in a large scale disaster once people realize its gonna be long term and theres no where to run too and mooch off of others. thats why I focus so heavily on prepping and security measures in my plans.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Audio books are much more handy for me. I found an audio copy of OSA (also Sun Szu's Art of War,:yesway:) but haven't been able to find Lights out or Patriots.

Top Bottom