• ...and so much more!
  • Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    So,

for 2 people with 2 handguns and 2 long guns and a shotgun, what do each of you consider to be a minimum level of lead for each type of defense weapon and overall the minimum count that gives you a sense of preparedness? Granted more is better, but…

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My personal low level of acceptance depends on caliber and if this is thought out on a defense vs food situation? A shotgun can put meat on the table and stack bodies under 100yds. A rifle in 5.56 or larger can do dual duty too esp at longer reach. It would be a bit much to shoot squirrels or rabbits so a 22 is on order, perhaps?
    This is where preplanning comes in handy...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    First you have to define SHTF.

This is different for everyone. Civil unrest? End of the world as we know it? Divorce? Loss of the job? Permanent medical disability? Are you going to be mobile? Are you defending a fixed position?

I’m not trying to be cute here. Without knowing the mission parameters, you can’t really know what you need.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

This is different for everyone. Civil unrest? End of the world as we know it? Divorce? Loss of the job? Permanent medical disability? Are you going to be mobile? Are you defending a fixed position?

I’m not trying to be cute here. Without knowing the mission parameters, you can’t really know what you need.
    But more is always better. Goes for food and bourbon too.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    But more is always better. Goes for food and bourbon too.
    I don’t disagree at all. But he did ask minimum.

I’ve been taking inventory recently, and I keep pulling out ar mags. They are stashed everywhere. I pulled out a 3 ft.³ box unlabeled, it was full of ar mags.

I may have a problem.

Naaaah.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

I’ve been taking inventory recently, and I keep pulling out ar mags. They are stashed everywhere. I pulled out a 3 ft.³ box unlabeled, it was full of ar mags.

I may have a problem.

Naaaah.
    Last summer Thing 2 was home for a few months, we started to organize. Ahhhhhhhh, yea...

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

I may have a problem.

Naaaah.
    I don't see a problem, they don't go bad.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

Defending your home daily for the foreseeable future with a longterm possibility of going mobile.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Defending your home daily for the foreseeable future with a longterm possibility of going mobile.
    Every mag you'd take with you full + one case?

The cost of ammo is only going to go up, so take that into consideration if you shoot on a regular basis...

If you have a preferred brand/grain of ammo and you can't get it for a while, how much would you feel comfortable having on hand?

Those are questions only you know the answer to...

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Every mag full + one case?

The cost of ammo is only going to go up, so take that into consideration if you shoot on a regular basis...
    Well I started with 1K for each weapon since they are 4 different calibers. I’ve added minimally as I move between food prep, medical/medicine, foul weather gear, fuel, water storage and so on. Just trying to gauge my progress against others to see if I am hopelessly behind, on target or a bit ahead. No one knows how much is enough, so I can only gauge against others doing the same.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Me personally, my house sits on top of a ridge with good sight lines out to a couple of hundred yards. Shotgun and pistol would be to repel boarders so at that point not a whole lot of ammo would really be needed, not more than a couple of hundred rounds because either I’m going to win, or it won’t matter. Several thousand rounds of rifle though. Of course, out at the ranch here our defense is multilayered and way more complicated than that. We have quite literally been thinking about this for many many years, and we live a very long way from anybody else. Realistically speaking, if you live in a rural area, you’re not going to hold off any determined band of roving thugs with just you and one other person for very long. All they need to do is lob a few fire bombs your way and you’re cooked, literally. If you live in a suburb, or an urban area, your best defense is through obscurity. The gray man, philosophy. In this instance, you don’t need more than a few hundred rounds of rifle and pistol and a few cases of shotgun ammo. Your chances of surviving your first two or three fire fights are very, very small.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Well I started with 1K for each weapon since they are 4 different calibers. I’ve added minimally as I move between food prep, medical/medicine, foul weather gear, fuel, water storage and so on. Just trying to gauge my progress against others to see if I am hopelessly behind, on target or a bit ahead. No one knows how much is enough, so I can only gauge against others doing the same.
    I'd say you're better than the average gun owner (who likely needs to buy ammo to conduct a range trip), but likely below the average INGOer and well below those who consider this OPSEC and wouldn't be willing to share info with others.

Honestly, that's a good start, but I'd continue to add more as your build your other preps. If you're not a regular shooter, having thousands of rounds won't help if you have to go mobile.

That said, a gun is nothing more than a paperweight if you're out of ammo...

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    So,

for 2 people with 2 handguns and 2 long guns and a shotgun, what do each of you consider to be a minimum level of lead for each type of defense weapon and overall the minimum count that gives you a sense of preparedness? Granted more is better, but…
    It`s kinda like, more is better. That silly old quote about less being more was made by someone who was broke. My first consideration would be storage conditions. Can you secure it and keep it cool and dry? If so, LOAD UP. If not, rotate it out every 6 months to a year so you know that it`s always good. But even at that, 2000 rounds per rifle, 800-1000 per handgun, 500 rounds 00 Buckshot for the shotty, and probably 200-400 rounds shot for fetching game.

Top Bottom