• Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My wonderful wife wants even more firepower in the house.:D:rockwoot::D
    I've got both (shotty and "assault" rifle) already, but the rifle is a G3 clone
    and the shotguns are a Ithaca 37 Upland and a Marlin singleshot. Little
    unwieldy around the house.

I'm also considering selling the G3 clone to finance a suppressor, so my
    SHTF rifle may be bye-bye.

I've got a CDP Pro in .45 and the wife a P11 9mm w/ a laser, so the handgun
    end is covered. . .
    Do I want a 12ga or AR for typical "emergency" response?:popcorn:

Eventually an AR in 7.62 NATO is in the cards, if that has any bearing on
    your recommendation. . .:dunno:

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    :DI apologize if this is another warmed-over rehash, my search really didn't show anything other than support for a CHOSEN platform, with not much discussion in regard to an "either-or".

Thanks!

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Depends

I would say that it depends a lot on where you live. For an urban setting where most of your shots will be inside 100 yards, a shotgun is probably a better option. If you live out in the country with open fields all around your house and plan on shooting at 100 yards plus, then you need a rifle. I would say hold on to the rifle and save up before you buy something new. Keep your options open.

bonsaijackson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    if you can afford either option I think you should buy the AR while you still can!

shottie can be easily be gotten anytime later and just as easy to find pre-owned.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the idea of prepping for SHTF would lead me to believe its a bad idea to get rid of the rifle just to fund a suppressor, that said its your call.... i would suggest an ar over a shotgun... 30 round mag capacity and the ability to easily carry lots of ammo and refresh your guns reserves quickly seems like a better "emergency" firearm.... not saying the shotgun isnt a good choice, but if my butt were really on the line i would rather have an ar over a shotty.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    This is another one of those issues where answers will be based on peoples preferences and priorities and there is no wrong answer. Both an AR and a shotgun have their advantages. IndyGunworks listed some for the AR.

I favor the shotgun for SHTF/emergency. With the versatility of loads you can hunt any animal on North America so you wouldn't need a separate firearm for food procurement. The shotgun is king in its intended range. 75 yards and in and there is nothing with more power. You can actually get more projectiles on target with the shotgun then the AR. Even using 8 pellet 00 you only need four trigger pulls to surpass the AR's 30 round magazine. Reloading obviously favors the AR so with the shotgun you have to use the mantra "IF you're not shooting you're reloading."

Recoil favors the AR as does ammo weight. Shotgun shells weigh A LOT. For anything further we might need to know if you are referring to an all out TEOTWAWKi plan or just home defense or what. Possible suggestions will depend on your specific intended use.

P.S. BOTH is always a good option.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    This is another one of those issues where answers will be based on peoples preferences and priorities and there is no wrong answer. Both an AR and a shotgun have their advantages. IndyGunworks listed some for the AR.

I favor the shotgun for SHTF/emergency. With the versatility of loads you can hunt any animal on North America so you wouldn't need a separate firearm for food procurement. The shotgun is king in its intended range. 75 yards and in and there is nothing with more power. You can actually get more projectiles on target with the shotgun then the AR. Even using 8 pellet 00 you only need four trigger pulls to surpass the AR's 30 round magazine. Reloading obviously favors the AR so with the shotgun you have to use the mantra "IF you're not shooting you're reloading."

Recoil favors the AR as does ammo weight. Shotgun shells weigh A LOT. For anything further we might need to know if you are referring to an all out TEOTWAWKi plan or just home defense or what. Possible suggestions will depend on your specific intended use.

P.S. BOTH is always a good option.

:+1:

The shotgun will fill a lot more roles than just defending yourself. It will be able to take a huge variety of game. I would opt for the shotgun.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The area is suburban; a field here, a woodlot here, a whole crap-load of houses there. . .:rolleyes:

I am leaning toward keeping the rifle and adding the shotgun, I would really like to buy an AR, but the cost. . . I guess the ole' Century clone will do for now. That sucker IS reliable but crazy loud, (anyone know how to take off the "muzzle blast enhancer"?) and accessorizing (sp) has been a pain. . . suggestions?

I'm kinda just thinking out loud here, trying to nail down an objective.:dunno:

As far as TEOTWAWKI, I'm not a huge supporter, (yet :D) my preps are more along the line of major disaster.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    my preps are more along the line of major disaster.

shotgun then as it does fill a short term situation better and stockpiling crazy amounts of ammo, and carrying crazy amounts of ammo would both be moot points....

just to toss it out there, the round on target in 4 trigger pulls is not a valid argument because thats a MAX of 4 targets.... 30 rounds 30 targets if need be... sorry had to counter just that one argument, everything else was sound.

if you look around i am sure you will find someone to trade an AR for your g3 straight up, so the cost of a new ar shouldnt be much of a point either.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Honestly I would pass on the supressor, and keep your rifle. There are always pros, and cons to any gun type. Ie shotguns, carbines, etc. For strictly use in the home, I would reccomend a shotgun. Nice thing is you, can have different barrel lengts suited for different tasks. Nothing is better then a shotgun, for up close and personal. The con being capacity, and reload time. However with the right barrel, and scope you can hit targets out 100 yards with slugs. Now if you are talking field use etc. Then yes I would reccomend an AR, or a good bolt action rifle. Again the downside to a bolt action rifle is capacity, and reload time. I would not go smaller then a 223/5.56. A .22 magum rifle will do the trick, but it's more affected by the wind. If you have the means, I would try to have both on hand. That way, you are ready for what the situation calls for. I personaly have a Mossberg 500, that came with a 28" ported barrel. Good for hunting, and farter distance shots. For home defense, I bought an 18.5" barrel. As for my rifle, I have a an AK. I like the AK's because they can handle tons of abuse, and keep firing. Only downside I see, is they are not as accurate as the AR platform at longer distances. I'm working on getting a good .223 bolt action. Hope that helps.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Other than for huntings, I don't see why you need to shoot 100 yards away. I wouldn't bother to shoot someone at 100 yards away. The distance would give me plenty of time to prepared if he wants to come closer.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Other than for huntings, I don't see why you need to shoot 100 yards away. I wouldn't bother to shoot someone at 100 yards away. The distance would give me plenty of time to prepared if he wants to come closer.

not a good tactician are we? we are talking SHTF not some bad guy meandering his way up to you.... the further away you can keep people that intend to do you harm the better....

might keep in mind that they are probably armed as well.... if they had an AR coming at YOU would you want a shotgun or an AR? me well i would take the ar so i can return sustained fire and maybe suppresive fire, something you cannot do with a shotgun.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Looks like I'll just keep savin'. . .

If anyone has a crappy-*** 870 or 500 floating around, shoot me a PM. . . ;)

"if you look around i am sure you will find someone to trade an AR for your g3 straight up," If anyone
    wants a Century clone w/ 440 rnds. . .:D

Thanks so much for the replies!:ingo:

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    For starters get both!!
    But I would Go with the Shotgun first, but its a rough choice, both have significant advantages for several different situations,

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I see you have a vested interest in my choice. . . :D:D

About what am I looking at for a nice set-up on my action?
    new stock, fore-end, light, tritium sights, tube extension, etc?:dunno:

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS

I always recommend folks start simple run their gun, and go from the base gun out find out what they need. Then hit me up,

I would find a comfortable stock first. Adjustable length of pull stocks have alot to be desired. Your gun can be run comfortably in any season and by multiple shooters. If a factory stock does it for you, then you are ahead of the game.
    We can definitely help you out. I keep a few different setups in the shop so you can fondle prior to putting some items on the gun.
    A good light is a big thing in my book and actually we have our first big Surefire shipment coming in within the next few days.. hmm might be time for a group buy!? :draw: "pull the trigger Horace"
    Forends, stocks, sights, multiple choices in most any accessory that has to do with LE HD shotgunning.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Looks like I'll just keep savin'. . .

If anyone has a crappy-*** 870 or 500 floating around, shoot me a PM. . . ;)

"if you look around i am sure you will find someone to trade an AR for your g3 straight up," If anyone
    wants a Century clone w/ 440 rnds. . .:D

Thanks so much for the replies!:ingo:

I love my CETME. I would like another one at the right price. I'm keeping my AR's, but if its cash you want, What's your price?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

Keep in simple, all that extra stuff to me is money that can be used on ammo and training. Then if you want to modify down the road, after you get a good feel of the weapon. You'll know better what you want. I have seen too many people throw away a bunch of money, thinking they are building a tactical weapon to later find out it was a waste.

Top Bottom