• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    As long as you start low and work your way up, they can generally be loaded with the same data. Whenever possible, I try to get the data for the specific bullet I'm using.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Freedom, Indiana
    I have a 7.5X55 that can use a 168gr SIE HPBT according to Hodgdon's site.
    I have a 30.06 that can use a 168gr HDY HPBT according to Hodgdon's.
    Each lists recipes for only the one projectile. I would like to try the same projectile for both rifles. Your advise seems solid for this issue, But do you still think so after being given the added info?

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Have you emailed the powder manuafacturer? Some of them answer question of specific bullets with the answers you are looking for.

Western powders does this. They own Accurate and Ramshot.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I use both..

Sierra 168gr. HPBT is the "Gold Standard" for .308 Loads.

I like/use more Hornady bullets than any other brand, but for ME, the Sierra bullets will outshoot the Hornadys..Bill..

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I have a 7.5X55 that can use a 168gr SIE HPBT according to Hodgdon's site.
    I have a 30.06 that can use a 168gr HDY HPBT according to Hodgdon's.
    Each lists recipes for only the one projectile. I would like to try the same projectile for both rifles. Your advise seems solid for this issue, But do you still think so after being given the added info?

Lyman's 49th lists data for just one 168gr bullet, with the understanding that said data can be used with other 168gr bullets, again with the caveat that you start low and work your way up. In the past, Sierra would list data for their 165 and 168 grain bullets in one group. Others do the same with their data. There is probably a difference in bearing surface between the two bullets, but as long as you don't start out at the MAX charge, and you know how to watch for pressure signs, you'll be fine.

I would caution you that the 7.5x55 technically has a smaller bore but can shoot .308" bullets. Do not mix n' match load data for this cartridge with data for another cartridge. Still, data for the 7.5 and one 168gr bullet can be used as a starting point for another 168gr bullet. Exercise good judgment with those loads.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Freedom, Indiana
    Thank you.
    I only called them both .308 because that is the only projectile caliber I have seen offered for either for reloading (I am brand new to reloading).
    My intent is not to use one recipe for both cartridges, but to use one projectile for both cartridges.
    I use Hodgdon's site regularly and they are the ones that made me curious, as they only list the Hornady for 30.06 and only the Sierra for 7.5 Swiss. It insinuates a difference without stating one.
    I do need to buy another recipe book for double checking and for added info.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    ALWAYS..ALWAYS...ALWAYS...

Thank you.
    I only called them both .308 because that is the only projectile caliber I have seen offered for either for reloading (I am brand new to reloading).
    My intent is not to use one recipe for both cartridges, but to use one projectile for both cartridges.
    I use Hodgdon's site regularly and they are the ones that made me curious, as they only list the Hornady for 30.06 and only the Sierra for 7.5 Swiss. It insinuates a difference without stating one.
    I do need to buy another recipe book for double checking and for added info.

You DO want to have at least several different load data sources. Read+follow the specs.
    As said, start at the low end+work up, WATCHING for pressure signs..Bill.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Freedom, Indiana
    If I might ask a "part 2" to this question, it appears that I only need one die set to do both 30-06 and 7.5 as long as I am not doing a full length resize, am not mixing brass between rifles and re-adjust for COL when seating projectiles. Valid?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If I might ask a "part 2" to this question, it appears that I only need one die set to do both 30-06 and 7.5 as long as I am not doing a full length resize, am not mixing brass between rifles and re-adjust for COL when seating projectiles. Valid?

I don't think I'd go that far...I've found that you can't keep neck-sizing or partial FL resizing, without the occasional full-length sizing job to squeeze the head back down. Failure to do this will eventually result in rounds that just won't chamber. Best to use dies built for your cartridge.

Top Bottom