• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I was loading my Sig 1911-22 tonight to prepare for the recent war I've declared on possums in my crawlspace and the guide rod broke. FAIL! I will be sending an email shortly to try to get some parts, my round count is probably 350 at absolute most. I think this has been an issue for others as well. Thoughts?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Saw a GSG that did the same thing. Guide rod broke at the base, you just see a little cross on at the end of it.

Call Sig or GSG, they'll send you a new rod and spring.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    One revision of the guide rod definitely has known issues. I believe it is the one that looks like a "x" in cross section. I still have my original round steel guide rod, which worked fine, but I picked up a new stainless steel guide rod cheap as a replacement, so I installed it and never looked back. If you had the crappy guide rod, you might want to check and make sure your bushing is the new machined version instead of the die cast pot metal one. Lastly, there is a revised slide stop and a revised magazine follower, but if you give them your serial number they should be able to tell you which parts you need the upgrades for. Mine has been trouble free after replacing the bushing (and the recoil spring and recoil plug which were lost downrange when the bushing let go -replaced free of charge by ATI) for probably close to 9K-10K rounds total now.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    The replacement from Sig/ATI won't fix the issue. They just send you another one of their zinc cast rods. Ours is Stainless and aluminum. It can't crack/break like the factory, plus it's full length so it won't jam up on the plug like the factory one can... and it looks nice! :)

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    At least it happened while loading, and not halfway through finishing off a pissed-off possum.

I used a Ruger Mark III while hunting down my sub-house raccoon problem...

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    ZR Tactical Solutions specializes in these pistols and we even offer discounts to INGO members. I've sent you a PM with details.

ZR Tactical Solutions, LLC

I've had one of these guide rods in my GSG 1911 for over 2000 rounds now, works like a champ. My factory guide rod didn't break but I replaced it with the ZR piece after 500 rounds or so because it was cheap enough to buy and looked good. Works great, :yesway:

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    ZR Tactical Solutions specializes in these pistols and we even offer discounts to INGO members. I've sent you a PM with details.

ZR Tactical Solutions, LLC

I will definetly recommend their full length guide rod and if you can, I would also get the alignment cone fitted to your barrel bushing. This will eliminate 99.9% of the barrel to bushing play and get rid of that ugly space between the two components. I don't know if they offer it, but a new stainless, oversized bushing from someone like Fusion, fitted to the slide is also a worthwhile addition. And while you are at it you might as well have them send you their spring and cone. I've done all this to my Sig a little at a time and am very happy with it. The first 5 rounds I loaded and fired, after the alignment cone installation could have fit into a .38 spl. casing. This was off-hand at 7yds. Also I have nearly 15,000 rounds on the pistol since the guide rod installation.

StrongSide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    NWI
    Lucky Possums!!! Take the 45 up, "That'll learn 'em!" (and leave one hell of a mess)

second thought... scratch that, bad idea.

Top Bottom