• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • APB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    I am looking at Compact 1911s, specifically the Sig 1911 Compact Two Tone RCS 4" or Kimber Compact Two Tone CDP II. I can get a new Sig for $860 with their Lifetime warranty or I can get a used but never fired Kimber for $800 and no warranty. I am looking for advice on which gun to purchase. The Sig is about 2.5 oz heavier. I want to use this as a carry gun sometimes but I also want a gun that will be fun at the range (that is why I am not going with the Ultra compacts).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Tough choice. I have a pair of Kimbers (Ultra and Compact) and a Sig Scorpion. There are features of both that I like and features of both that come up short. The Kimber Compact is one of my EDC guns and the Sig is my nightstand gun. The Sig finish (Ceracote) is much better than the Kimber finish (Silver Sharpie, I think). The Kimber and the Sig are both joys to shoot. Neither came with decent mags, so I run Wilson Combats in them.

The Sig seems like a gun that will last longer than my Kimbers, but mainly because the Sig is all stainless with a Ceracote finish and the Kimbers are both alluminum framed with an easily damaged finish. The alloy frames don't give the same "my grandkid's grandkids will be shooting this some day" feeling. The Kimbers both had plastic MSH and the Sig's is G10. The Kimbers rely on a standard extractor where as the Sig has a large external extractor. The trigger on each of them is about equal and the accuracy is about the same. The Kimber Compact is a bit sexier but the Sig is a bit more workmanlike. Both have excellent machine work. The Sig beavertail fit is atrocious were as the Kimbers is decent, but not close to a custom gun. But, the Sig beavertail has a higher profile speed bump than the Kimbers do. I like the Kimbers extended safety better than the Sigs safety, but that could be changed. The Sigs safety is ambidextrous though.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am looking at Compact 1911s, specifically the Sig 1911 Compact Two Tone RCS 4" or Kimber Compact Two Tone CDP II. I can get a new Sig for $860 with their Lifetime warranty or I can get a used but never fired Kimber for $800 and no warranty. I am looking for advice on which gun to purchase. The Sig is about 2.5 oz heavier. I want to use this as a carry gun sometimes but I also want a gun that will be fun at the range (that is why I am not going with the Ultra compacts).

If by Compact, you mean Pro series with 4" barrel on the Kimber, then $800 is a nice price. I saw a Pro CDP at a gun show today, used fairly well for $1100 which is about what I see the new ones selling for.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I own a Kimber Compact and its my favorite 1911 that Ive ever owned. I owned a full sized Sig 1911 for a while and it was an exelent firearm too. The only reason I sold my Sig 1911 was to buy my Sig P220. Both are grat guns and you wont be sorry which ever way you go.

Oh and dont worry about the Kimber not having a warranty. NHT3 is a Kimber Smith and does great work and is reasonable on price.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    I am looking at Compact 1911s, specifically the Sig 1911 Compact Two Tone RCS 4" or Kimber Compact Two Tone CDP II. I can get a new Sig for $860 with their Lifetime warranty or I can get a used but never fired Kimber for $800 and no warranty. I am looking for advice on which gun to purchase.
    At the risk of damning with faint praise, your odds of getting a gun that functions reliably right out of the box will be slightly higher with the SIG than the Kimber, in my experience.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I have a Sig RCS, and it's a great gun. I like it so much that I sent it off for hard chrome treatment, it's one I plan on keeping. With that said, the Kimber price is good. You will be able to find the RCS at that price without much trouble, the Kimber probably not.

If the warranty is critical to you, then pick up the Sig. Otherwise, the Kimber has more resale value if you're not sure it will be one you hang on to.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    NHT3, why would Kimber be your choice?
    Just personal experience.. I bought a Sig Compact RCS about 4 years ago and after a few calls to Sig returned it to them. They returned it a couple of weeks later telling me that they had replaced the barrel bushing because it was cracked. After checking some of the message boards I found at least 3 other people with the same issue. Knowing this model came through the "custom" shop I thought it MUST have had a little more personal attention than their normal 1911. Anyone can make a mistake but it appeared at the time that they had quality control issues and since it was my first Sig 1911 I decided it would be my last. I'm also not a fan of external extractors on a 1911. It has to take quite a bit of engineering to redesign the slide on a 1911 to completely change the extractor. I'm not an engineer but if you can't figure out why someone does something, be it a gun manufacturer or a politician, money usually will eventually find it's way into the equation. Years ago Kimber had a go at putting external extractors on their 1911s and had so many problems they actually may have lost some dealers before they backed away from it.
    I haven't heard anything bad about the S&W or the Sig with the external extractors but my personal feeling is, the closer the way is was designed by JB the better I like it. I'll also point out that the high end 1911 makers are using the original internal design so that is, as I said, my personal preference.. I may get flamed for my answer here but as I said several times, it's just MY opinion and I don't claim to be any sort of Guru on the subject.
    Sorry, long answer to a short question. :D

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have the Kimber CDP II Pro with night sights and it is a nice gun but has a funny flaw. If you pull the guide rod and turn the guide rod bushing 180, it will not go into battery when you rack the slide. $800 is a good price. I paid short of that and am happy with it. I carry it often.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I own a Kimber CDP Pro and CDP Ultra and both guns have functioned perfectly for me. The fit and finish are fine and they are accurate pistols. I like the 2 tone finish as well. I also have a Kimber Target II in 38 Super that is really nice. I don't own a Sig 1911 but I do own several other Sigs and they are excellent pistols. My advice would be to look at and compare both guns for yourself and decide what you like. That price for the Kimber is a pretty good deal IMO. :twocents:

APB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2012
    A few people have mentioned the finish on the Kimber being an issue. Is that an isolated issue or is it a common problem? I am looking at the two tone model?

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Top Bottom