• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    So my next purchase I have decided on is a sig 226 elite stainless. I know they are next to impossible to find, but I have seen a few popping up. My main question is the difference between the American vs German made. I have researched it some and have not seen any differences, but the pricing seems different. For example, saw 2 on Gunbroker recently one German and the other American. The American version was chambered in .40 and ran roughly $1k. On the other hand, the German one was listed for $700 and was chambered in .357 sig. Calibers aside, roughly the same gun from what I could see with the pricing far different. Any ideas why? Just wondering because this will be a large purchase so I was just curious. I am set on getting one in .40 and getting the 357 sig barrel or vice versa since I already shoot .40 and am very intrigued about 357 SIG. I know some of the pricing comes from the flashiness of the stainless and all that, but I'm more curious about features etc. I have read the specs, just looking for some info from you Sig owners. I know you are out there, lol. Thanks guys.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    It is nice, but to me it seemed like it was unusually heavy. Maybe it didn't seem as well balanced to me as the other sig p226 models I handled, i dunno. The wood grips are wide (as opposed to the e2 or regular rubber/plastic ones). I can't believe this is that hard to find, it used to be widely available...but I know how that goes. I think all the stainless elite 226es are made in america, unless they are pro shop or whatever. When i was considering purchasing it, I think a lot of people had problems with the extractor. May want to look into that. Good luck man. Love the way it looks.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    The gun you linked to is made here in the US only the frame was made in Germany. The description is misleading.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Ok. Makes sense. Just seemed a lot less than they regularly run so I was wondering if there was a difference. Plus the 357 SIG round interests me these days so thought I'd check it out.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    The 357Sig is absolutely a great shooting round. People who knock on it are the ones who probably never even fired it. I don't think it is snappy at all(if it is maybe you should hit the weight room ;) ). If you don't like it, just buy a 40 barrel and it will drop right it. I have a 357Sig barrel for my 229, 239, G27, & USPc.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    I have heard that. I reload though and I hear its a pain to reload, but from all the stats I've seen and all that it does intrigue me. Plus having that drop in barrel and using the same mags just makes it even better. Hoping to pick up one here in the next few weeks.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    A Dillon carbide die and the Lee collet factory crimp die make loading 357 Sig almost as easy as typical straight walled pistol cartridges. Get the size die set right so the shoulder is where it's supposed to be, and get the crimp right so there's no setback, and it's smooth sailing.

It's no more snappy than a 40.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Nice. I have lee dies now I've been using on all of mine, but i dont have a 357 sig set yet. Probably buy some factory first then see how it goes. I have a LNL press so thats what I've been using lately.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    It is funny you have that Elite listed, because I have that very same gun on my GB watch list. It is at $955 right now and it will clearly go for more as it has 3 days still left.

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    No proofs on my 2009 P228R except for the DE on the frame which means Deutschland. 100% made in Germany though. The 226 clearly has a triple digit S/N of U 774 217.

Maybe I missed it, but I did not see S/N on the barrel, and slide. An all German gun will have them listed on the frame, slide, and barrel, hence triple S/N. if it is just on the frame then it is not all German.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    How do you know the whole gun isn't made in Germany?

I based it off of the fact that it says the frame is made in Germany. I would expect it to just say made in Germany if the whole gun was manufactured there. Still a fine weapon.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Maybe I missed it, but I did not see S/N on the barrel, and slide. An all German gun will have them listed on the frame, slide, and barrel, hence triple S/N. if it is just on the frame then it is not all German.

False. An example is the P228R. I have one and it is an all German gun. No markings on slide nor the barrel except made in Germany.
    2289r06.jpg

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    False. An example is the P228R. I have one and it is an all German gun. No markings on slide nor the barrel except made in Germany.

Yes. The 228R does have a German slide(stamped/folded, internal extractor). No doubt about it. A special run if you will that was said to be assembled in the US(reason for no proofs, etc.). I would also buy it hands down. An exception to the typical rule I guess. However, the gun the op listed does not seem to be all German (no markings and milled slide). That is not saying it is not an outstanding gun or not a true Sig.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    I don't really care if it's US or German, just seemed like the German ones were cheaper for some reason. Anyone else have some feedback on the 357 Sig models? I hear they are ridiculously accurate and have seen some feedback on here.

Top Bottom