• ...and so much more!
  • Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    SO, thinking about getting one (swat model )
    anyone ever used one? Like it? Hate it? Love it? Or ... break it?
    weight is not an issue.... so that doesn't need to be covered.
    I'm needing real life experience before I drop $2k on a new battle gun.:ar15:
    thanks, Dan

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I've got a Sig 556 Swat and I like it well enough. It shoots great and has a very smooth trigger. There is a lot of play between the upper and lower. Although it doesn't effect performance, it is a bit annoying.

Sigs have some issues with the folding stock models, so you might want to get a non folding one. The none folding one will accept most AR commercial size stocks. I replace mine with an Ergo FA93.

I bought mine used about a year ago for $900, so you might want to wait till one pops up in the classifieds.

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    The older SWAT models had a problem with a canted optic rail so your optics would never hold zero.
    If you are getting a newer SWAT with the new stock then it should be ok.
    If its an older SWAT with the magpul stock then I would make sure the top optic rail is level.

Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    I own a sig 556 love it much put about 3000 rds through it never a problem. would not pay 2000. for it, you should look around b4 you spend that much. spent 1300 on mine then another 500 for the glass

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    Well guys thank you for your input! I'm now the proud owner of a SIG 556 swat with folding and collapsible stock, quad rail, flip up sights, and I got it used (gunsmith cert. Never fired ) new in box for................$700
    Almost a steal
    Now to test the limits on this thing!
    Dan

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    I bought one when they first came out. I have not had any problems. It is a great rifle. It did take a couple 100 rounds to break in, but has been perfect ever since.

Another benifit is when you go to the range, you'll probibly be the only one there with a Sig556. If you like that kind of thing.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

Don't pay attention to that above thread. That is for the SIG chambered in 7.62x39. Different gun all together in terms of craftsmanship. I lucked and got one of the first SIG 556s. Mine is one of the first 400 with the 4-screw top rail w/ all Swiss internals. Replaced the M4 style stock with an ACE folder. If you have the classic style, replace the crappy Chinese stock with a Swiss one. Go to here:https://www.cogunsales.com/index.php/vmchk/SIG-551-556-Parts-Accessories/View-all-products.html Mine eats everything and is just as accurate as my AR or Mini-14. There were some with bolt-carrier peening issues so keep an eye on that. Other than that enjoy as they are a pleasure to shoot and so SMOOTH!!:ingo:

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread. A buddy of mine has a line on one of these for about $600. The price sounded too good to be true, so I'll tell him to check the rail for canting. Thanks again, ingo.

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    Love mine, runs great, smooth. There is a serial number range with the peening carrier issue. Look and investigate on this site....
    SIG 556 • Index page... and here...
    SIG 556 • View topic - Check your 556 for wear/damage to the carrier

The early ones built with Swiss parts are considered the better ones. Its too bad we cant compete in making are own high quality 556,s like the Swiss. :(

US187-1.jpg

Last edited:

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    Don't pay attention to that above thread. That is for the SIG chambered in 7.62x39. Different gun all together in terms of craftsmanship. I lucked and got one of the first SIG 556s. Mine is one of the first 400 with the 4-screw top rail w/ all Swiss internals. Replaced the M4 style stock with an ACE folder. If you have the classic style, replace the crappy Chinese stock with a Swiss one. Go to here:https://www.cogunsales.com/index.php/vmchk/SIG-551-556-Parts-Accessories/View-all-products.html Mine eats everything and is just as accurate as my AR or Mini-14. There were some with bolt-carrier peening issues so keep an eye on that. Other than that enjoy as they are a pleasure to shoot and so SMOOTH!!:ingo:

Can you post pics of your 556?

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Within the last 3 or 4 weeks I read on a Sig forum that Sig is now selling an original Swiss folding stock. I don't remember the details except the price which was something like $170.
    I haven't put just tons of rounds thru my Sig and don't want to put any more money into it until I see how it works out.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Can you post pics of your 556?

Here ya go. I was thinking about getting rid of it after reading about all the problems being encountered. After doing a lot more research and shooting did I realize that I had a gem and decided to keep it. I didn't know what I had stumbled upon and purchased. One of my better buys to say the least. Extremely accurate and eats everything.
    picture.php

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have one of the "originals" in the serial number 3k range. It was after they corrected the finish and canted rail problems but before they switched to US made internals. I like it, never had a problem.

I don't think I would buy a new one. If I could get a line on an original in the same serial # range as mine I would buy it, just not a new one.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    CountryBoy wasn't it you who attended a class in which a bunch of Sig rifles malfunctioned?
    If so, did you find out any more about the cause ect?

Top Bottom