• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

SteelersFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Muncie
    I'm not trying to start a war but I am looking for a new 40 and can not make up my mind. Will be used for target practice and serve as my bed stand gun. I also plan on getting a .22 conversion for whatever I get. The price difference doesn't matter. So what does INGO have to say? Also I cant get both.
    Thanks

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    For the same usage? Possibly different answers.

I've owned a G22 and still own a Sig 226 in 9mm and a G17.

I'll try and compare only the 226 and G17. The 226 is a *much*... how do I say this... "finer" pistol. Much. The 226 is much more pleasant to shoot and, for me, much more accurate. There is nothing wrong with the 17. Nothing. It certainly excels in the simplicity of design. Though I've not had the 226 fail, the 17 has a *perceived* advantage in nasty, grimy conditions. I've no real personal experience to base the latter on, which is why I say perceived.

So... do you want a fine pistol that is a dream to shoot? The choice of the Navy Seals, IIRC? The 226.

Do you want a plastic, ak-like-reliability-under-all-conditions? The G22.

For my lifestyle and usage - if I had to choose only one and wasn't heading off to be an off-shore, hi-speed operator-contractor - then it would be the 226.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    For the same usage? Possibly different answers.

I've owned a G22 and still own a Sig 226 in 9mm and a G17.

I'll try and compare only the 226 and G17. The 226 is a *much*... how do I say this... "finer" pistol. Much. The 226 is much more pleasant to shoot and, for me, much more accurate. There is nothing wrong with the 17. Nothing. It certainly excels in the simplicity of design. Though I've not had the 226 fail, the 17 has a *perceived* advantage in nasty, grimy conditions. I've no real personal experience to base the latter on, which is why I say perceived.

So... do you want a fine pistol that is a dream to shoot? The choice of the Navy Seals, IIRC? The 226.

Do you want a plastic, ak-like-reliability-under-all-conditions? The G22.

For my lifestyle and usage - if I had to choose only one and wasn't heading off to be an off-shore, hi-speed operator-contractor - then it would be the 226.

+1. My experience with Sigs and Glocks largely barrels that of paddlingman. With one exception. Although my preference for shooting was the sig (comparing the 226 to the G19) and I really liked the aesthetics of the 226 over the 19 as well-not to mention I could shoot the Sig better, I kept the Glock.

The main reason-I switched to shooting and carrying, almost exclusively, .45 acps. Furthermore, I really fell in love with my HK P7. As such, I liquidated the Sig to fund a 1911 addiction. I figured the P7 was more accurate for me than the Glock or the Sig so it became my occasional 9mm carry piece. I kept the Glock because it was my first pistol and because I have the utmost confidence in the Glock as SHTF sidearm. Now the G19, along with a lot of additional magazines, resides in the safe but close to the door-ready to be placed in a Zombie bag should the need ever arise ;).

So to answer the OPs question-it depends. I don't think you could wrong. I will say that the shooting experience is different enough between the two that I would make an effort to spend some time behind the trigger of both to try and make up my mind.

col132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Both good guns, but I would give the nod to the P226. It comes down to which one you are more comfortable with. Are you more comfortable with Glocks safe action, or do you prefer the plethora of Sig options? Only you can answer that. As a home defense weapon, I actually prefer the Sig first shot double action over the Glock.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I own and shoot both sigs and glocks. My choice for daily carry is the sig P226 in 9mm. Both glocks and sigs will put holes in the target but the single action with the sig makes it easier to put holes on top of holes. You will need to practice decocking though.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My vote has to go for the Sig 226. I shot a fellow members in 9mm. I put all ten rounds in approximately a 1" hole at 7 yards. That was my first time every shooting a Sig, so needless to say, I was very impressed.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    The U. S. Navy special warfare use sig's they stopped using beretta's because of a failure somehow i heard. The Israeli special forces use Glock's. Two Fine pistols. The sig has more safety features which is good for a newby. A glock has more accessery's magazines, night sites, upgrades and such. i own both but lean towards the glock because of their price. also if i drop it or ram it into a holster alot i dont get offended. if i drop a $800.00 sig i'll be sick.... Look on the internet u-tube site and check out a site called nutnfancy and make a glock - sig comparison. good question and good luck...............:dunno:

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    I vote for SIG. I've got two and love em. P226R reverse two-tone 40sw and P226R blackwater tactical. :rockwoot:For more info on sigs checkout the sigforum.com

For the Blackwater, I am so unbelievably jealous that you have one. I wanna drop the coin for one so badly...

I voted for the Sig despite owning two different Glocks. I have a 23C and a 26 in OD. The Glock is a surefire weapon, functioning without flaw while feeding it ANYTHING. I've shot steel case, home loads way over +P, soft lead flat nose home loads, cheapo bulk, all kinds of ammo. My 23C will throw cases 20ft at times, and sometimes rip the rim of them. It's been wet, muddy, dirt and dust filled, anything you can think of. I've fired a 226 in the military, and they're definitely more finicky when it comes to dirt and debris, but you're not taking it overseas or anything.

The Sig is more refined, more exacting, more precision. You'll notice it simply with slide fitment, trigger feedback, magazine swaps...its just produced with more craftsmanship in mind. Paddling_man had a point, the Glock will be reliable just as an AK, but it won't have the refinement of a Sig, and your typical nightstand/carry piece isn't going to see mud and grime.

Either direction you go, I'm sure you'll be confident with your particular weapon after some range time. I look forward to hearing what you pick up though, and hopefully you'll write some of your impressions after firing it.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Both are great, cant go wrong either way. Go with what feels best to you. I prefer Glock, but thats just me. Good luck with your decision.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I have shot a LOT of Sigs and never had a failure nor have I ever witnessed a failure. I'm sure it happens, but I have never witnessed it. I have seen several issues with Glock failures during some of the classes I have taken. Everyone I have known who had Glock issues said they went away after getting a thousand rounds or so through them. To support that, all the issues I witnessed at the classes were with fairly new Glocks.

I personally don't like the way the Glocks feel or shoot, so I have to vote for the P226. I know a LOT of people who really like the Glocks, so I think you just have to figure out which YOU like best. I personally LOVE my Sigs.

SteelersFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Muncie
    Thanks everybody , I think my mind was done made when I asked just wanted to make sure I wasn't alone. I had a Glock 19 that I never had any trouble with but it just wasn't anything special. Right now I have a Sig P220 SAO that I love so that helped make up my mind.

Top Bottom