• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Avi8tor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Deep South
    Need some help. Got offered a Sig P229 from a friend. He doesn't want it because he doesn't shoot .40, so he is wanting to get rid of it. I am not sure when, or where it was produced. I do know it was owned by a Morgan County Sherriff Deputy as his carry weapon(so it has seem some wear & has had quite a few thousand rounds through it). I have never owned anything Sig so I have no clue what this gun is worth. It would be sold as is. With Houge grips(no originals), no box, one factory mag, and night sites(which probably don't have much glow to them). The gun itself is quite worn and show significant signs of wear. But I think it would be a plinker at the range or an OC gun. Any clue what a gun like this is worth ballpark? Also is there anything manufactering wise I should be concerned about? Such as which generation is better than the other? Thanks guys!

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    $300 is fair. $350 tops. Unless you "really" want a 229. But I am taking into account, no box and holster wear and guessing round count to be well into the thousands. LE usually give guys a good deal on their well used carry guns so he may have not paid a heaping lot

Last edited:

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    The 229 are great guns. Kinda of blocky, but reliable. There are various actions that are offered in the 229 (da/sa, da only, etc) and different calibers (9, 40, 357 Sig). I believe they are the guns issued to the secret service (in 357 Sig). As with all things, it is worth what someone is willing to pay :) A new never fired 229 was on the board a month or so ago and ended up selling for $650ish I think. This gun sounds to be very used and maybe abused. Probably worth $3-400 in my opinion.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    $300 is fair. $350 tops. Unless you "really" want a 229. But I am taking into account, no box and holster wear and guessing round count to be well into the thousands. LE usually give guys a good deal on their well used carry guns so he may have not paid a heaping lot

I would say more 350 is fair, but it really depends on how it shoots.

For your own interest, keep in mind that Sig does offer some services including refinishing.

Here is their "tuning" package:
    SIG Service Plan

Avi8tor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Deep South
    This is exactly the kind of information I needed!! I have been on here and gunbrokers and armslist and they all seem to be around the $500 range. But those are usually with the box and more than 1 magazine.

$300 was exactly what I was gonna offer. A fellow INGO member buddy of mine said the same thing as well.

That Sig Service program looks like a great deal! I was also gonna do the slide refurbishment myself and kinda make this a project gun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There's also a premium on the non-railed pistols and those of German origin (not Exceter, NH...or is it VT? No matter) (as far as Sig purists go)

They are SOLID guns, capable of many many thousand rounds before they're shot out.

The 229 in .357Sig is my brother-in-law's duty weapon. His has been back to Sig at least twice for re-springing. Maybe 3 times.

Offer him 3 bones for it, see if he takes it. That is, of course, if YOU shoot & like the .40 S&W cartridge.

-J-

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I tend to lean toward the $300.00 offer as well. But I realize I haven't seen the gun. You won't see very many Sigs going for less than that. I've never seen one at an even $300.00, if memory serves.

As long as there are no major functional problems, even with quite a bit of wear, it could be a darn good pistol.

The finish on my 229 is wearing quickly, and I just bought it new in Feb. :dunno:

gibby101

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Liberty
    Sigs are like Cadilacs man they are very smooth and extremely reliable ive had my sig for a while now and i love it i carry it every day and have not had any issues and go to the range with it almost weekly as far as price goes it depends id say between 350 and 400 range for it but all depends on the wear and tear of it and also any add ons but id say for the caliber and just the fact of it being a sig if you gave any where in the price range you wouldnt be hurting at all great weapon systems

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I just remembered:

I saw TWO different Sig 229s in .40 S&W, both DA/SA versions, this past weekend at a flea market / swap meet.

They were both in darned good condition. 1 was $450, one was $550.

Also saw a LNIB M&P9fs for $430. *sigh*

-J-

Avi8tor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Deep South
    Got a chance to see the gun with my iPhone handy this time. Thought I would add some pics to give you an idea of what it looks like. I could not feel and wear on the barrel, the night sites would need replaced.

photo7.jpg

Top Bottom