• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Looking for some advice on ammo for a Sig P238. Just want to know if is finicky with any certain ones before I go and buy a bulk pack and find out the hard way. Mainly looking at target loads now since I need to break it in first. But also open to comments on defensive rounds too since that ultimately will follow.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've put 100 rounds or so of the Midwest reman ammo at Point Blank through their rental P238 with no issues. Not a wide range, but the G42 they had choked with that ammo. Take it for what it's worth.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    It looks like the main 1000 round bulk choices I'm seeing are PMC, Blazer and Sellier & Bellot. But YIKES are they pricey! Looks like a good deal is right around $300 for 1000 rounds. This .380 is gonna cost about as much as my .45's to shoot. But I wanted something ultra compact to conceal carry in work/casual clothes. I did see a few posts where folks were having some issues with the G42 not liking the Blazers. I haven't really come across much on the P238 though except where they had some issues early on when they first released the gun.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've used all of the above, some Winchester and also some frangible sintered brass rounds I picked up at a gun show a million years ago.
    No troubles with any of it.
    I've also shot a few different defensive loads from Hornaday. But can't remember which ones off the top of my head.

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    No issues with mine. PMC, blazer, magtech, S&B come to mind but I am sure I am leaving some out.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Glad to hear all the positive feedback! It sounds like I shouldn't have any issues with my new P238 being picky.

Anyone have any recommendations for defensive loads? Of course I want something that feeds without any issues. But my normal "go to" rounds in 9mm and .45 don't seem to fare so well in the ballistics tests for .380

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Glad to hear all the positive feedback! It sounds like I shouldn't have any issues with my new P238 being picky.

Anyone have any recommendations for defensive loads? Of course I want something that feeds without any issues. But my normal "go to" rounds in 9mm and .45 don't seem to fare so well in the ballistics tests for .380
    I use Precision One in my 238. You can look up youtube reviews of it. Here's a link to their website: 380 ACP 90gr HP/XTP *NEW* 50rds [P1380ACP90XTPN50] - $28.99 : Precision ONe Ammunition, Dont Shoot Twice Shoot Precision ONe

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My P238 runs just about everything well. I haven't found anything I can think of that it hasn't liked. If you want to save a little cash and don't reload I would buy some tul or wolf... However, if you plan on reloading in the future I wouldn't I have over a case of steel 380 and I just started reloading so it kinda is a let down with it sitting next to all of the same stuff in brass.

As far as ammo goes, you will see people that talk a lot about penetration and things with 380 and some people say they even carry fmjs. There is a very good video out there where a guy tests a whole bunch of 380 defense loads and finds certain ones out of the group that are the best performers. I think of the brands I prefer CorBon and Gold Dots finished right behind the top choices and Hornady and Hydra Shoks were in the best group. Those are what I keep in my 380's. Both function and run well. I especially like how well the hornadys feed in them.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Congratulations on your P238. I sometimes carry its bigger brother, the P938. They are definitely sweet shooting pistols and look pretty good too.

I carry 90 gr. Gold Dots in my LCP. They do pretty well in the ballistic gel tests, both plain and with denim. Here is a video of them vs. a hog's head:

[video=youtube;8NfS9owxPiU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NfS9owxPiU[/video]

Definitely good penetration through various tissues and bone, plus penetrated further into water jugs. I also have a box of Precision One XTPs, the same as mentioned above. They tend to penetrate deeper but expand less than the Gold Dots, making them decent for winter carry. Both are easy to shoot in my LCP, so I imagine recoil wouldn't be an issue in the P238.

Best of luck.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Top Bottom