• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Professor Thump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Indy
    I came across a Sig Sauer P6 (German MP Sale) for < $ 400. It this a good price and what are the pro's and con's VS my XD9m? I appears to be a nice conceal piece.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    good guns, pretty slim cause they're single stack. Not a fan of the low capacity though. I do like the surplus 228s though, and hear they're ultra-reliable, but they are a little more expensive for the surplus ones.

ETA: Last import batch of P6s (year or so ago) were selling for ~$300 and could be found cheaper some places, man they've shot up in price.

Big Dawg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    W PA
    It's a Sig! The P6 is identical to the P225 except for a couple minor mods the Germans wanted most notably the open tailed hammer. The Germans wanted that to help identify if the gun had been dropped and potentially needed repair.

It's a single stack 9mm 8+1 with DA/SA action. Trigger pull is somewhat strong in DA but the reset and SA is quite decent and reliable. Pre 1980 models had some FTF's on certain hollow points. By 1981 due to a modification to the feed ramp, the FTF feed ramp problems were gone.

With the price you made mention, you should never go wrong with resale on a P6.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've stuck some night sights on mine and carry it regularly. It is one of the most accurate pistols I have and due to it being steel, followup with the 9mm is fast. It carries a little better than a commander size 1911 when inside the waist band. Due to the more narrow profile, it's a great IWB gun and my favorite way to carry it.

You'll want to install the 19lb mainspring to lighten the DA trigger pull unless you like a REALLY heavy trigger.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Actually the frame on the 225 is aluminum alloy and the slide is stamped carbon steel. It is balanced very well and the gun feels like it doesn't weight a thing while shooting it. Mags are a but pricey but P38 mags can be modded to work. The only real down sides to the gun is capacity, the DA is heavy, and I am not a fan of the grips. Fortunately there are several guys who specialize in reworking the p6 and most of them also will refinish it for you. You can also find the super rare Nil wood grips if you look and spend hard enough. And if you want perfection then you can ship it off to Bruce Gray.

As far as the feed ramp issues, those can be fixed up either with a little smithing or a with a different barrel (barsto). And if you don't want to hassle with that then just run a HP that is a bit more rounded. I run Golden Saber in mine without a single problem. I have heard that Gold Dots work also, however I can say for a fact that Hydrashok do not.

Unless you are getting it from a reliable source, hand pick it. You are paying $3-400 for a used sig. That is a steal if you find an arsenal gun, and a really really good deal if it was lightly used. It is a good price even if you get a rare gun that was actually used. Remember these are cop guns, most were only fired for quals, sometimes they weren't cleaned that often, and they lived in a holster.

Mine was about 10 years old when I got it. It had been shot some, but not much. The springs had no paint but plenty of power, the finish was worn. I paid a little over 3 for mine and I don't feel bad at all.

Professor Thump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Indy
    I just bought the P6 Sig today for $390. It appears to be a very solid piece with little wear. The blueing is almost mint. :yesway:

I shot it and even though it recoils harder than my XD9sc it shoots more accurate for me. This could be the longer barrel. It fed my reloads with lead bullets and also Speer SJHP. I did have one feed issue with a Blazer FMJ round. So this will have to be analyzed. The funny thing is that when I got done shooting is was bleeding oil out of all the moving joints. I don't know if the previous owner loaded it up with oil or not but I heard they like lots of oil.

Either way I like the fit to my hand and the way it carries. I think it is a keeper. Maybe the XD9sc is now a backup leg carry. Hmmmm... :dunno:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I heard they like lots of oil

Yes, SIG fans generally will say they are "wet guns." I've never shot one dry to know, but mine have always been reliable with medium-heavy lubrication.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've got one. Cost me $300 out the door about a year ago at the 1500. I really enjoy shooting it. The lack of capacity compared to more "modern" nines doesn't bother me.

Top Bottom