• ...and so much more!
  • IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Ok, so I am one day away from probably purchasing a beautiful Sig P938 Equinox. I've been reading tons of reviews, and the one I'm looking at has a manufacturing date from 2013, and the serial number is not part of the original batch that came out with all kinds of FTF and FTE issues.

The only negative things I've read about this handgun are:

1) the trigger can be gritty,
    2) the trigger has a crisp, yet heavy pull ranging from 8-9 pounds (not really that bad, I suppose),
    3) the trigger is a bit sharp, making it uncomforable to shoot after a while.

I've also read that the trigger will get better with use, as far as the pull strength, so I'm not too terribly worried about that. However, I'm not real keen on having a "sharp" trigger. My GF purchased the P238, and I think it has the same trigger, but it was very comfortable to shoot. So, I'm not sure why the P938 would be that much different, unless it's due to it packing a little more punch being a 9mm.

Does anyone have any of these issues with the new models? Or any other issues for that matter?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice you can provide.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I have an older P938 that I had to send back. It's been fine ever since. However, I'm not fond of the trigger either. I've dry-practiced with it for hundreds of cycles, hoping that the trigger would smooth out, but it hasn't really. Part of the problem is that I compare the trigger to that of my Glocks, which have been polished and had trigger work done. It's not a fair comparison. For a stock, small 9mm, the trigger really isn't all that bad. It makes the gun go bang when you press it. That's what counts.

Now, were I intending to use the P938 for training, or trying to become a marksman with it -- well, that would be different. It's a solid, concealable, subcompact 9mm that is really pretty accurate. I wouldn't get too worked up about the trigger, personally.

On the other hand, my biggest beef with the 938 is the safety. Unlike a 1911, the safety is a dinky little thing that is difficult to get my big, fat thumb on reliably. I have concerns that, unlike a 1911, where my thumb naturally rests on the safety, I'd completely miss that dinky safety and be wondering why it wasn't going BANG. Also, resetting the safety on mine was really difficult. I disassembled it, cut a turn off the spring, and that lightened the pressure needed to reset the safety.

Good luck getting to know your Baby Sig. It's a great little pistol, IMO. Unfortunately, it's so small that I feel nekkid when I carry it since I'm used to having a larger pistol on my belt.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have handled many P938's and never had a gritty trigger. My personal trigger is like butta. It's never made my finger hurt either. Been a champ since the day I bought it. Hope you like yours!

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Thanks N8RV! I read that the P938 is extremely accurate for the kind of gun it is, even up to 25 yards. The safety worked well for me, but unlike other parts of my body, my thumb isn't that big and handled the safety just fine. :laugh:

I also read that it pretty much eats any kind of ammo, which is nice. I'm probably getting too hung up on the trigger issue. The gun fits perfectly in my hand and I like all of the controls Thanks again for your input!

Last edited:

Nate715c

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Speedway
    Should you decide you don't like the trigger they do make an aluminum replacement. New Page 1 . I had one on my p238, not sure if it changed the weight but definately felt smoother.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have a newer P938 and the trigger is just as you mentioned: on the heavy side but very crisp. Honestly, I am able to shoot my 938 better than I could my Kahr CM9. I personally feel safer with a heavier trigger, but to each his own.

Out of the box, the internals (especially springs) were extremely tight. I had some issues the first couple of mags with some home reloads that were lead (not jacketed). It has since loosened up and shoots great. When I fed it +P ammo, it ran like I champ, which made me feel a lot better (just needed a break-in).

All-in-all, I am very happy with my purchase. Let me know if you would like a video or pictures or anything like that to help you make a decision on your purchase.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Thanks again everyone for your input. I am starting to feel much better about the trigger issue. Again, I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill. Sigs are fantastic guns and I'm sure I need not worry so much. I guess I really don't mind a heavy trigger pull, it's just that I have a S&W Bodyguard, which, at least in my opinion, has a horribly LONG trigger pull. I truly hate it, and will hopefully be trading it in towards my new Equinox.

On a side note, what kind of holsters do you guys use for your P928? The whole 1911 "cocked and locked" concept is a new one for me, although I am comfortable with it. However, I personally like a thumb break on my holsters. Do they make one where the thumb break/strap goes between the hammer and striker? I prefer leather OWB holsters, but am open to any suggestions.

Last edited:

seanery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Indy
    IndyGal,
    I just bought one of these last Thursday. I got the Scorpion.

I don't have big hands. I wear a Large Cadet in glove size. It fits my hand pretty well, and the safety is pretty easy to manipulate so far.

I dry fired the gun and carried it around the house for a day and a half before I made it to the range. In that time, the sharp trigger did bugger up my finger a bit, it felt like it got sharper the longer I handled it, but it may have just been that my finger was more sensitive to it.

I took the P938 and my Baby Eagle .40 to the range and shot back to back, 2 magazines on the P938 and 1 on the Baby Eagle, until I was finished. I found that I wished the trigger puller were just a tad lighter and smoother on P938.

The gun shot very well. I tend to shoot up and left, must need to work on my grip I think! Both guns were grouped tightly with a small edge going to the Baby Eagle's 4.5" barrel.

In an effort to lighten it a bit, I just ordered a stainless trigger from PartsProduction (New Page 1) for $40 and a Colt Mustang 20lb Hammer Spring from Midway (Wolff Hammer Spring Colt 380 Government Mustang 20 lb Reduced Power) for $3.99.

I'm going to have a gunsmith replace them and polish the mech a little bit, but I've read a lot of really good things about that combination!

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I have a P238 and the trigger is very smooth. I shot a P938 and the trigger was bit heavier and not as smooth but given these are both carry pistol's when the SHTF it will not make a bit of difference. The main thing is you want is a pistol you are comfortable carrying and trust to be reliable.

On a side note, what kind of holsters do you guys use for your P928? The whole 1911 "cocked and locked" concept is a new one for me, although I am comfortable with it. However, I personally like a thumb break on my holsters. Do they make one where the thumb break/strap goes between the hammer and striker? I prefer leather OWB holsters, but am open to any suggestions.

I feel "cocked and locked" is the only way to carry a 1911 self defense pistol. The thumb safety on the P238 and P938 has a positive lock up and down so I would not worry about it coming off without your knowledge. If you use a quality leather holster I see no reason for a thumb break.

Last edited:

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I made a custom Kydex holster for mine. It rides nice and tightly OWB, retains well and draws smoothly.

IMG_3664a_zps141f51eb.jpg

EddieCar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Wife and I have one each as a bug. They both have about 500 rnds through them. The trigger is heavy for a single action about 8lbs but its for self defense not target.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Well, after rambling on about getting the P938, I changed my mind and got the P238 SAS. It's a beautiful 2-tone pistol with the wooden grips. As I mentioned earlier, my GF bought the P238 Scorpion and we both absolutely loved it at the range. Although the P938 is compact, the barrel was noticeably longer than what I prefer when I held them side by side. So, even tho 380 ammo is more $$, I think I'm going to be very comfortable with my P238 as my EDC. Thanks again for all your input. INGO is the best! :ingo:

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Either one is a great choice. I find 380 ammo really scarce now a days.

Yeah, I hear ya. Bought my gun at Bradis today and you could only buy one box of 380's. Of course, there was a whole shelf full of 9mm. Maybe there was a limit on them as well, but I didn't notice it.

45 x 11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Southwest IN
    Congrats! I also bought a P238 SAS recently. Like an earlier poster, I intend to change the main hammer spring and do a little polishing. It isn't that the trigger is bad, but I'd like it to be a little bit better. I think there is some trigger feel variation with these, but then that's probably the case with most all handguns and you might like yours right out of the box. Regardless, it's a nice little gun!

.380 is tough to find in my area too, and although I plan to reload eventually, I'm a ways away from that yet. ...Also, there was a recent video series reviewing and ranking the best self defense ammunition for small .380 pistols. It was linked on these forums and can be found on YouTube by searching "Shootingthebull410 .380 ammo test". Be sure to check that out if you haven't already!

Top Bottom