• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I have a hard time posting this because it perpetuates a rumor that may be completely false. But in my circles, dealing with customers, talking to LEOs from near and far, a little buzz about Sig has repeated itself several times recently: Sig quality has slipped.

Now the only Sig I own is a Mosquito. The front sight finally fell off after thousands of rounds as a training gun, so I really wouldn't say that's a quality problem. I am not a Sig dealer, but we do transfer and trade and I have never seen anything that looked questionable. In fact fit and finish have always looked superior. That leaves function.

Anyone have any insight as to were this comes from?

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Haters, I had more problems with Glocks than I have with Sig's. My most recent Sig is one of the nicest and best shooting pistols I've ever had. I'm sure every company rolls a lemon out once in a while, but Sig's are generally top notch.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I had a brand new USA made P226 some time back and it was fantastic. Looked, shot, and handled great. I miss it and am looking for a replacement as we speak. :) I hear the same thing about USA vs German made quality. Doesn't bother me any.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I have heard the same thing. Constantly. Usually from from guys who owns a west german Sig and desire to "one up" a guy who owns a recent model.
    Im starting to see this with the glock community also. " My Gen 2 Glock is better than your Gen 3/4"
    :n00b:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a 229 that is a few years old and has never had a problem. Then I have a new 227. I have only put about 50 rounds through it so far, but no issues have come up yet.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Sig Stainless Carry is a FINE 1911. tighter than normal chamber but notta problem at all!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I'd like to try a P227, my LGS has one and it's sweet looking. :)
    Shot it this past weekend for the first time. It was slicker than hog snot. Ran great. Felt recoil seemed less than I expected. Accurate as you expect from a Sig. The only downside, the 14 round extended mags appear to be vaporware...

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The P250 when it first came out had issues

Same with the P2022

P290

It just seems like when Sig makes something new, the first generation has issues, which a lot of companies find that out, or they just have safety recalls in general because of something not working: Kimber external extractor, Springfield XDS, S&W Shield, TC Venture (3 times I think now), Remington 700 (because people have to dick with the triggers), Ruger had a batch of LC9s where the firing pins got too hard during heat treat, etc.

Plus the Mosquito has been known to be finiky (CCI mini mag only for the first 500-1000 rounds)

If you get a "classic" model Sig, they pretty much work. Sig and their "quality issues" seems to come with new releases. But, guns are man made, they can break and not work right (hell look at GM and their recall lately)

All that being said, I really want a MPX pistol with a folding....umm...arm stabilizer.... :)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    We have ALOT of Sigs that pop up at the range. The Classic P-series, SP-2022 are all solid, no issues outside of ammo or shooter related. Sig P238s are okay, mostly folks pawning bad ones off on other shooters ("I bought this from a guy, not a store" situations). 938s aren't reliable. Sure, your's might be, but as a whole, they just don't work well for shooters, THOUGH, the ones that were sent back to Sig seemed to run okay after repair.

Sig P250s are hit or miss: Alot of shooter induced issues, but the first "gen" guns fit the internet parroting: Light strikes, failures to eject, etc... The second gen ones we've had come out had little to no issues. A few of the P290s we've had out had light strikes with hard primers, but that's about it (they are fun to shoot and VERY accurate once you get accustomed to the trigger).

Haven't noticed a down grade in quality on most of them, albeit, the P238s had some serious tooling marks and weak parts. They seemed to have cranked those out pretty bad.

Top Bottom