• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • conan1rice

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Wayne County
    Im considering a sig as my next handgun. Im fairly young and only have a glock so far. All the different models are confusing. whats the difference between them all. is their a pattern to the naming or a way to know the specs by the model number. Also, recommendations for something mainly for the range and safe, but may see some open carry. love to hear your opinions.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    There is no real reasoning, as far as I can tell, between naming their pistols.

I get plenty of compliments on my P6, the most often heard complaint is "why are you carrying a single stack?" Personally, I love it. It's a good weight and is very controllable.

tboat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Kirklin
    I have a P226 Stainless Elite in 9mm. These are great range guns. They might be a little heavy to carry. I have never heard a bad word about them. The SP2022 is a solid recommendation for the money as well. I bought a .22 conversion for my P226 and it is a lot of fun to shoot. The .22 is a little picky about the ammo but once you get dialed in on what it likes, no problem.

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    I have the cheaper black sheep of the sig family: the P250.

I love mine and have had literally zero ftf's or fte's with it in both configurations I own (sub compact and full size). YMMV. Most of the people I know who have owned them have loved them.

A word of caution: buy a new one. The old ones (pre-december 2010) were all over the place on quality control and reliability.

Also, it is polymer framed. I dunno if that's an issue for you, but there you go.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    For a polymer framed version, I think the SP2022 is a seriously underrated pistol (although it's clear that guys here know about their virtues :)).

I think the handguns from the classic SIG "P" series are incredibly good pistols. Mine are all older, and I have heard some stories about some problems with newer versions, but I still think they are one of the absolute "go to" selections.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Ok. You're asking on a forum of knowledgeable people.

I'm a less than knowledgeable, well..... I study things, like the guns I own so I'd like to think I know something.

Enough jibber-jabber.

Start yourself off with something basic, like the SP2022. It has a traditional DA/SA style trigger mechanism with decocker (no manual safety - no need! 10lbs DA 4.4lbs SA consistently!)

The SP2022, if you read anywhere online is one of THE MOST underrated firearms EVER. It's a diamond in the major rough in the world of sidearms.

Now, I've owned an SP2022 so I say what I say about it knowingly. I won't lie to you though - I owned a P226 Dark Elite; and it was my most prized piece I've ever owned / carried / shot. That's a pricey piece though - that I would still have on me today if it wasn't the price / the bulk of the gun that made my wife force me to rid of it.

Another couple of Sigs I've owned, one equal in quality and price-worth as the P226 Dark Elite was my 1911-C3 Crimson Trace Carry. But lets face it, you want a Sig - not a Sig rendition of the 1911. I've also owned the P229R. Another very regrettable resale of mine. It was good, very good. But expect to pay upward $700 for it.

Recap?

SP2022 w/ Night Sights for $464~
    P229R w/ E2 Grips / Contrast Sights for $690~
    P226 Dark Elite w/ Aluminum Grips + Night Sights for $1000~

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I may be. But also please take into consideration I've owned all of these guns and shot all of them, too. I do not see a multiple-hundred-dollar difference from one model to the other quite honestly. And for any looking into buying their first Sig, I'd recommend you start at a reasonable price point. YMMV. Peace out!

soljah777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The P228 is an older model but just about perfect imho. Perfect size and balance. I love them so much that I purchased two. One in nickel and one in black. The P226 is sweet but a little large if you are planning to carry.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Sigs I've owned:

P229
    P226
    SP2022
    Sig 1911 Tactical
    Sig 1911 Traditional
    Sig 1911 .22

I still own all but the P229, they are all outstanding firearms.
    There is a reason half of my gun collection is made by Sig Sauer, I love them.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The P228 is an older model but just about perfect imho. Perfect size and balance. I love them so much that I purchased two. One in nickel and one in black. The P226 is sweet but a little large if you are planning to carry.

I use to have a SIG P220 in 45 for duty but have been issued a SIG P228 for over ten years. I used the P228 hard and it never jammed once. All of our P228's were flawless with one exception. The P228 has the stamped sheet metal slide so the locking block is pinned into the slide with a roll pin. Once one of the roll pin's cracked but the SIG kept running anyway.
    The new P229's we are starting to get to replace the 228's (these 228's are approching 20 years of service) have the milled steel slide and what pins they have are solid steel now.

soljah777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    in625shooter: The only problem I have with the P229 is the balance. I find it to be just a little off compared to the P228. Otherwise it is still a great gun. Its sad that the P228 is now a special run model and only produced in limited quantities.

conan1rice: if you are looking for a good value sig search for a certified pre owned model. Most all that I have seen recently are coming in a red cardboard box with 2 mags and are in nice almost new condition.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Ok. You're asking on a forum of knowledgeable people.

I'm a less than knowledgeable, well..... I study things, like the guns I own so I'd like to think I know something.

Enough jibber-jabber.

Start yourself off with something basic, like the SP2022. It has a traditional DA/SA style trigger mechanism with decocker (no manual safety - no need! 10lbs DA 4.4lbs SA consistently!)

The SP2022, if you read anywhere online is one of THE MOST underrated firearms EVER. It's a diamond in the major rough in the world of sidearms.

Now, I've owned an SP2022 so I say what I say about it knowingly. I won't lie to you though - I owned a P226 Dark Elite; and it was my most prized piece I've ever owned / carried / shot. That's a pricey piece though - that I would still have on me today if it wasn't the price / the bulk of the gun that made my wife force me to rid of it.

Another couple of Sigs I've owned, one equal in quality and price-worth as the P226 Dark Elite was my 1911-C3 Crimson Trace Carry. But lets face it, you want a Sig - not a Sig rendition of the 1911. I've also owned the P229R. Another very regrettable resale of mine. It was good, very good. But expect to pay upward $700 for it.

Recap?

SP2022 w/ Night Sights for $464~
    P229R w/ E2 Grips / Contrast Sights for $690~
    P226 Dark Elite w/ Aluminum Grips + Night Sights for $1000~

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I may be. But also please take into consideration I've owned all of these guns and shot all of them, too. I do not see a multiple-hundred-dollar difference from one model to the other quite honestly. And for any looking into buying their first Sig, I'd recommend you start at a reasonable price point. YMMV. Peace out!

I'll take a "SIG rendition of a 1911 " any day! I have a C3 and it's the best .45 I've ever fired. Have had Colts / SW / Springfields and Remingtons and have had the best experiences with the C3. Maybe I'm just lucky but man you gotta give SIG credit. No matter what they do a "rendition of" it is usually an incredibly accurate and reliable piece! Just sayin!

Top Bottom