• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I am looking at changing away from the factory sights on my M&P Core to a fiber optic. I think a bright front sight would really help me find the sight quicker during competitions. Currently running the factory 3 dot white sights on it now. Near as I can tell from USPSA rules, in production class, sights can be changed.

I have found Dawson Precision and am considering just changing out the front one with a fiber optic. Is that a good brand? Looks like it is from what I can gather. Although I did see one review that said they couldn't get it to stay put.

So is it something I could just replace the front and leave the white dot factory rear sight...or should I replace both so its just a black/dot design.

Thoughts? Any other companies to consider?

Thanks,

7920drew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Lafayette, IN
    I put Dawson front and rear sights on an m&p core, they gave me no issues. It is definitely a different rear sight than the standard M&P so make sure you get that right if you swap the rear. As far as whether or not you should change the rear, that's personal preference. You'll have to figure out exactly what height front sight you need to match up with the factory rear if you keep it. If you buy a matching set from Dawson they pretty much do all that work for you, and if it's off they'll make it right. I prefer the blacked rear sight, so if I were doing it I'd swap both out.

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    HIVIZ makes a really good optic sight, that I have used in all my open sighted pistols. They will have a front sight that is the correct height for your rear sigt.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I might throw out a change in gears for you. I prefer old school black on black sights. Dawson makes a great set that I put on my M&P Pro, The goal of a competition is to hit the target some competitions give you points for doing it faster but all games the misses don't count. I have shot night courses ect. with BonB sights and came out on top.

Come to hhrp and shoot my M&P before you go off looking at dots and crazy things like that.

That being said the next best thing to Black sights are the Hienie 8 sigths. All these fiber optic things just cover the target.

Rounds downrange are the true fix for accuracy and speed problems.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    I just put a set of Trijicon HD's on my Springfield XDM. As it's still a nightstand gun I didn't want to go with a set of full competition sights, but what I liked about the Trijicons, are the rear dots are almost totally blacked out in the light. The front site dot is very large and easily acquired.

Far superior to the Tru-Glo that I had on the gun prior.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    First, you might try to look through some other folk's sights at a match, better to see before you buy.

Dawson makes great sights, I'd never tell anyone not to use them. as suggested above I'd get a full set. ditch the rear dots. much cleaner sight picture. You just want fiber on the Front, not the rears.

some others to consider... Warren/Sevigny makes great sights and are on my production gun, but I found the rear notch just a hair too wide for my taste. So I got the Taran sights on my limited gun. They are, IMO, perfect. You might consider those. The W/S sights are still great, and are close enough I've not bothered to upgrade my production gun.

I might throw out a change in gears for you. I prefer old school black on black sights.
    All these fiber optic things just cover the target.

I agree "in theory," but there always seems to be several times / year early morning or early evening when I'm shooting into the sun, and w/o that fiber I'd take forever to even find, let alone aim blacked out irons. I keep fiber just for those situations, and it's worth it, imo. A good fiber FS doesn't really detract from the sight picture, IMO. And it's easy to black them out w/ a sharpie.

I don't understand the sentence in bold...

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom