Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

So i finally decided to take a trip down into my ravine after someone convinced me that there were deer there. He was right!!!! I saw two doe while I was down there and plenty of signs they are there.. I saw many areas where they were scraping and rubbing. The area where those trees are rubbed it looks like all the other trees in the area were rubbed in previous years!!! I dont think anyone has ever hunted deer down there!! The only issue is that it is at the bottom of a ravine and would be a major chore to get a deer out after you have taken one....

Well I hope the person that is responsible for me going down there in the first place has some ideas cause I just dont know..... Anyone else????

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Deer Harness. I am not a big person, 5'10" and about 140lbs, and I have used a deer drag harness for a couple of deer that made it really easy. Especially if your a long way from camp or tracked it quite a ways. The ravine might make it a little rough, but it would be great exercise!!!!

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    they are not too bad to drag, if you get tired just take your time. Pull a few steps and rest if you have to. Take a plastic tarp and wrap it around them to make them slide better if you want.
    That or you could use a 4 wheeler.
    Looks like the makings of a good hunting spot!

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Good exercise is right!!! I was worn out when I got back...

there is no way to get a four wheeler down there..

I can hardly get myself up the ravine without a rope... It was like a leaf slide going down... just hoping to find a hunting partner with more experience than I have.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    Judging by the size of the tree and the way it is torn up, I'd be finding some way to get down in there! Hunting a specific rub is a notoriously hit and miss way to hunt, but it sure lets you know that there are some very good deer in the area!

Good luck.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    If you want help with your extermination problem give me PM... would love to help :D BTW, I don't us a drag harness, I use an O-Webbing 16' diameter, folds up into my pocket. 16 webbing with a water knot to make it circular.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    We know have to figure out what time they are using the area. I should be free Sunday afternoon. I can come over and see what's going on.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I would be more than happy to tag along on a hunt, and help you drag out any deer that might be taken. I bow hunt only, so PM me if ya need/want help.

doug1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Crestview, Florida
    Up here when we kill a moose we have to quarter it and pack it out 100-250 pounds at a time. Sometimes for miles. No way we could drag a 1200 pound moose behind us. I'm sure you could get a 200 pound deer up that hill if you wanted to. ;)

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    a couple of friends to help drag it out.
    a quad runner , a plastic sled with a very long cable going to a wench on the truck, or just quarter it out, regardless thats a big buck making that rub, I would be hunting on saturday. :):

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    A deer cart and TWO strong people. I bought one specifically when I would hunt Crane, very handy, but they are still a pain. The woods has all kinds of little obstacles to make life a pain, even with big, solid, bicycle size tires.

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Indymonkey I have been waiting on you to chime in here!! Since it was your idea in the first place you have first rights to going with me.... or should i say taking me....I will let everyone else know how it goes,,,,, if there are many deer then I will reply to each of you in the order that you asked..

AZ Hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    More than likely the deer wont slide back down if you stop to take a break. Hunted off steep hills for years. Grab a leg, drag up, break and start again. Or, back a truck, quad, something to the edge of the hill. Tie a rope to deer and drag the sucker up! Oh, one more thing, they are a little lighter if you field dress them first!:p

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Indymonkey I have been waiting on you to chime in here!! Since it was your idea in the first place you have first rights to going with me.... or should i say taking me....I will let everyone else know how it goes,,,,, if there are many deer then I will reply to each of you in the order that you asked..

All I said is that you have deer in your backyard, you just have to look for them.

(his back yard is a typical morgan county ravine):D

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    I am bowing out.I had no idea it was a contest.I have already put enough venison in the freezer for this season.I was just trying to help sorry:dunno:

Top Bottom