• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    We read about and talk about signs of pressure, as reloaders. I, personally, have never really "maxed out" any of my loads in twenty plus years of reloading. Never had a need or desire to. Because of this, I don't have much actual experience with signs of high pressures.
    I spotted these 9mm cases in a big bag of brass that I recently purchased and was processing. My question is, if this was your brass that you had reloaded and fired, would it be a:
    1) No big deal, I'll keep an eye on it.
    2) This is a major concern I need to address now.
    3) Holy Crap!!

20150912_164008_zpskiwrr202.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Are you talking about the shape on the primer? Just a striker. Maybe we can't see on the picture what you are talking about.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Odd looking mark, but I don't see a sign of the primer "mushrooming out" against the bolt face.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Just the normal imprint on the primer left by the firing pin and breach face on a Glock. All of my brass looks like this whether once fired or reloaded multiple times.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    If you look at the flat part of the primer you will see some machine marks in the primer from the breach face, and the Glock rectangle is a little more pronounced than normal..
    That's why I said it's a warm load shot from a Glock, nothing I would worry about.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Never paid any attention to brass fired from a Glock. If that is what the face of the breech looks like, that makes sense.
    It didn't really look like the primers were flattened or flowing backwards, but again, no "real world" experience here.
    Thanks for the replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Worst flattened primers I've seen come from my old .357 DE, but that gun can run a lot.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    If you look at the flat part of the primer you will see some machine marks in the primer from the breach face, and the Glock rectangle is a little more pronounced than normal..
    That's why I said it's a warm load shot from a Glock, nothing I would worry about.

This. However, you do see how metal has flowed into the recess of the breach face. The face of the primer has flattened just a bit. And the edges of the primer lack the round corner they started with. Not necessarily to the point of concern, but these signs are a result of pressure in the cartridge pushing it's way back through the flash hole and into the primer cup. I would call these beginning signs of pressure. As it increases you will see pronounced flattening of the primer out to the edges.

Top Bottom