• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    What is the approximate round count for a can to start cracking? Or has anyone fired one to the point of wearing it out?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    What is the approximate round count for a can to start cracking? Or has anyone fired one to the point of wearing it out?

Depends on what kind of can you are talking about. I would think a high pressure can like 5.56 or .30 Caliber would kaboom before it would crack.

I can't picture a .22 can wearing out from stress (except heat from say repeatative FA).

clonies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011

I think for a can to crack it'd have to be excessive full-auto....But I'd agree with Corey. If it's a rifle can like that, it'd probably blow up on you first from the high pressure.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    The tube won't crack unless there's a crazy temperature swing (i.e. after shooting 500 rounds FA drop it in dry ice). It will deform first. You'll see bulging in certain areas, usually in the rear near the blast chamber, since this is the point of the suppressor where the pressure is highest. Bulges will lead to weakened walls which will lead to ruptures.

In centerfire pistol suppressors you'll most likely see deformation in the blast baffle area from using high pressure rounds.

In centerfire rifle suppressors you'll see errosion in the blast chamber area (if you can take the can apart) if the tube is unprotected. That errosion over time will lead to fatigue and failure.

It's important from a safety perspective to inspect the inside of your suppressor to look for signs of deformation, fractures and fatigue. You will be able to feel anomolies before you will see them.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I don't know about cans made out of "exotic" materials but my AAC cyclone has seen many thousands of rounds full auto and has been so hot you could see the baffles inside the can and it still looks great (other than the burnt finish).
    100_2789.jpg

Picture doesn't do it justice, the whole can glowed hard core.
    GLOW.jpg

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    Wasn't intentional but we had a bunch of targets set up on the fourth of July and after one beta and three thirties I decided to give it a break cause it was glowing.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I don't know about cans made out of "exotic" materials but my AAC cyclone has seen many thousands of rounds full auto and has been so hot you could see the baffles inside the can and it still looks great (other than the burnt finish).
    100_2789.jpg

Picture doesn't do it justice, the whole can glowed hard core.
    GLOW.jpg

These pictures make me warm and fuzzy inside... :n00b: :yesway:

Top Bottom