• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spartan300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    When I received my carry permit five years ago my wife
    thought I was ridiculous for feeling the need to carry a firearm.
    After about a year she would say things like...do you have your
    gun? Depending on where we were. I think as things have
    gotten worse, me carrying a weapon gives her an extra sense
    of security. Now I want to get her to get her own permit.
    Anyone else had a similar situation ? :laugh:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    We do not have a permit in indiana. It is a license to carry a hand gun.

that being said. Soon after I bought my hand gun and started talking about getting my LTCH, my gf told me one day that after some thought she would like to get hers as well.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's a permit. It's a license. There is no functional difference between the two. Not a single iota of difference. Yes, I know the actual piece of paper says "license," but in conversation both words are appropriate and accurate. No need appear to be presumptuous and know-it-all.

OP, stay patient and don't push it.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Be patient with her. My dad took me shooting for the first time 12 years ago, maybe more. At that time, I really wasn't interested in guns or shooting. I just wanted to spend time with my dad. I got much more than time with him, I learned to have respect for guns, safety using them, and all that. Now, I'm out of his house and I own my own guns and carry them when I can (I work in Chicago). It took me that long to develop my own interest. The idea was put out there for me to decide which way to go, with indifference or my own interest. I can say my dad is pleased I got interested, even if it took awhile.

We can't stress it enough, do not force it on her!

chewmaize

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    About 2 months after getting my permit, my wife got hers. She works in a "rough" part of Indy and she agreed with me that it was time. Makes her feel safer and gives me a little piece-of-mind.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I need a little more information. Have you talked with her about her carrying a gun? How does she feel about guns? Is she scared of them, indifferent, hates them? Alot of this will play into how you could approach the subject with her. Does or has she ever shot your gun?
    One last question? Does she feel intimidated/or that it's not lady like to be armed? Or that you should do the protecting instead of her?
    You've started a good conversation, just a little more information would help us help you.

By the way Welcome to INGO! Don't let the permit/license thing bother you. They used to be called personal protection permits back when I got mine and I still catch myself saying permit too. :D

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    My gf hates handguns in general. Grew up kinda rough and the people she knew that had them weren't generally good people. I got deep into the whole gun scene after we had been together a good while. She has no problem with me having them carrying them or leaving one loaded on her dresser when I spend the night (neither of us have kids). She does like long guns and shoots mine whenever I go shoot. I eventually ended up buying her a shotgun for her to keep in her room. She loves it. As far as ltch, I doubt she will ever be interested in her own and that's entirely her issue and I do not plan on pushing it one bit.

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010

that being said. Soon after I bought my hand gun and started talking about getting my LTCH, my gf told me one day that after some thought she would like to get hers as well.

"that being said," if you talk like that in real live, I'm betting you dont have a girlfriend at all.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN

This comes up again and again and I have tried my search-fu and failed as to what is the basis for this misnomer. I am probably mistaken, but it seems to me that the first license that my father recieved was a personal protection "permit" that allowed him to carry. I am also thinking that I first had a hunting and target "permit" when I was 18. If this is the case, old habits must indeed die hard. If that is not the case, then we must be conditioned that if we are "allowed" to do something, then surely it is because we are permitted to do so and not able to do so because it is a right...

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Learner's Permit vs Driver's License
    The 'learner\'s' portion designates further restrictions and limitations.
    "License to Kill" why not "Permit to Kill"?
    What value does the Permit vs License designation mean?
    Permit _sounds_ a bit meager. why?

Permit=you need permission. this is a permission slip.
    License=infers permission, but also means 'college degree'.

The only difference I can see between the 2 is that a 'license' is supposed to be a permission slip issued by some authority.

Any ideas?

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    OK Peeps! This is not a license/permit discussion. The OP asked a question about his wife and how to get her interested in carrying a gun. Let's stay on subject and help him out. Start your own thread if you want to discuss the license/permit issue.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Enroll her in an NRA Home Firearm Safety course.
    Fear and lack of interest is because of ignorance and unfamiliarity.
    Cure for ignorance is education.
    I teach firearms courses now, but I used to teach at universities and colleges for CIS programs. Before that I taught Martial Arts and Swimming (for children).
    Something I learned early on was to not EVER push the 'sink or swim' idiocy that seems to be the way "back in the day". My success rate with Martial Arts and Swimming was 100% (even having the most terrified kids become competitors -enjoying themselves- in 6 weeks became a specialty)
    Training firearms is the same way. If your wife/girlfriend has a terrible experience with firearms..you will DRIVE her away from it.
    It might be too loud, or the range is full of tacticool yay-hoos, or maybe you are shooting outside and it is raining..just making for a bad experience. It doesn't matter _why_, it will always be remembered as bad. Interest will drop.
    Take the time to teach the principles of proper firearm handling before ever shooting a round. Make sure they know what to expect. Surprises with firearms can be terrifying to the uninitiated. You don't throw a full-magnum load shell in the SxS, hand it to your buddy and tell him to hit the pigeon. (ok, we used to do that as kids to each other and swap loads..but we all did it to each other). Baby steps with gun training.
    If you want sink-or-swim, then join the Army and try to get into the Ranger program. What's the attrition rate? 30%?? If you only have 1 wife, then you might try the slow-and-steady route. Leave the drill sergeant mentality in the military.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I am sure she gets a certain relief knowing you are carrying. Everyone likes to feel secure. Now whether she is comfortable carrying is the issue. It would be good for her to get her LTCH but if she is not comfortable with carrying then that is another bridge to cross. When she is ready she will let you know. We always do.:D

Cheeseburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My partner rarely carries but we got her her license to to keep us legal should I leave a handgun in the car or if she picked up/ held my purse for me outside of home.

A friend of mine left a handgun in the console of his car and his wife took his car to work one day not knowing there was a gun in the car. Could have gone badly if she had been stopped. $125 is cheap insurance against a potential legal problem.

Once she has her license, she may find other reasons for having it.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I am sure she gets a certain relief knowing you are carrying. Everyone likes to feel secure. Now whether she is comfortable carrying is the issue. It would be good for her to get her LTCH but if she is not comfortable with carrying then that is another bridge to cross. When she is ready she will let you know. We always do.:D
    Ain't it THE TRUTH !!!!! :twocents: :laugh:

Top Bottom