• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red0801

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2015
    Wakarusa
    ^this. As long as it's been taken care of, a used rifle will perform just as well as a new one will. Might be worthwhile to look in the classifieds for awhile before buying new. Someone may already have what you're looking for!

Still being new the AR rifle (just got my first 1 last month), I found better luck getting a used ANIB. I also didn't have to sort through all the upgrades, before I had any idea what I extras I wanted.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I recommend owning a few before piecing one together for a build because you won't truly know what you want/need until you've run through a few of them. Even if your initial build "looks cool" it's probably still going to cost you more in the long run because you'll change out a part or two or maybe even forget to order a part. "Oh, I did need a buffer tube."

Most of the guys I know (including myself) tend to lowball the cost of a build in order to justify getting a way more awesome AR for "less money" than what we could buy it for. We'll forget to include the cost of the armorer's tool and vise blocks, the time it took us to shop for all that stuff, the shipping on some of the small parts, etc.

The guys who keep spreadsheets are probably not on their first builds and the reason they keep them is because they know, deep down, that first build was way more expensive than it should have been!

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    Having just blown the budget on my first build, I'd say its cheaper to buy a complete rifle. When I started, I shopped Brownells and Midway for all of the affordable parts. Then I started admiring the higher end stuff. Before long, I was buying the expensive stuff. My rifle is ended up a mixture of all kinds of parts from a half dozen different manufacturers. I have no regrets though. I built the rifle I wanted. I'm planning my second build, and I'll shell out the $$ for the parts I want rather than trying to save cash.

Don't forget the price of tools. If you don't have a buddy close by with all the tools, you're going to have to buy those as well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I guess I need to give myself more credit for being a savvy shopper.:) I have built only 5 so far with two more in the works. I built them all for less(comparing apples to apples) than a new one and spent less time buying the components than I would have driving to a store to buy a complete rifle.

As far as the tools, I do have $60 into all the tools I needed to be able to build them effectively and efficiently. So if I stop at 10 AR's that's only $6 per tool. Most shops will charge that much to install a flash hider.

That said, even if I could buy one spec'd the way I want it for less than me building one, I'd still build it. I really like the process. I take extra time and make sure everything is finished out well, any defects in any metal parts are cleaned up, I polish some areas to smooth out the function and of course apply the proper torque and lube as I assemble.

Mine are not mass produced. Mine are bespoke. :)

Oh, and Rausch51 though I like Brownells and Midway, I rarely buy components from them. There are much better deals out there for the most part.

Top Bottom