• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjeepman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2020
    SLC
    I thought I would post a couple of pictures of the part of the country where I moved to from IN years ago. I am not sure if this is the right forum and just delete if it doesn't belong here.

Looking out across the Great Salt Lake ...
    ZykZOT3.jpg

part of the Rockies ... the Wasatch Mountains
    BA34l8Q.jpg

a pronghorn ...
    MEUMlWt.jpg

Arches National Park near Moab ...
    7X25zd3.jpg

The east bench of the Salt Lake Valley ...
    I7xK3IV.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The first time I flew into SLC it was night and had snowed with a high wind. All the street signs were covered. I drove all over that town trying to find my hotel.

I rode Moab on dirt bikes with my son and rented a jeep to drive around Arches. Great vacation...but like most of the west it takes FOREVER to get anywhere and it all looks the same. Same thing in Idaho, get in the truck, drive 3 hours, get out of the truck; looks like the same place you got in the truck.

It's all very scenic but the general lack of trees wears on me...the reason IN is not "big sky" country is because we have vertical vegetation that blocks your view of the horizon.

I do like the skiing though.

Nice pics!

bigjeepman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2020
    SLC
    @Thor ... I know what you mean and felt that way the first couple of years here. It is big country. Utah is in the top 5 driest states in the US and that kind of sets the tone for the landscape. Our favorite places to hike/camp are the higher elevations full of aspens.
    FN9g1TA.jpg

C3LINCt.jpg

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Major good thing about 'out West' is the public land. Lots of it for the free roaming.

bigjeepman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2020
    SLC
    Major good thing about 'out West' is the public land. Lots of it for the free roaming.
    Here are the facts ...
    "Utah is a public lands state, which means that a majority of our land mass is owned by government. Approximately 75 percent of the state, more than 35 million acres, belongs to the public. Additionally, 3.4 million acres of School and Institutional Trust Lands (7.3 percent of our state) are open for use by the general public in accordance with an agreement between the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources and the Utah Trust Lands Administration."

bigjeepman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2020
    SLC
    Welcome to INGO.

Pretty country.

Do you do any hunting out that way?
    I have been on two elk hunts that were just experiences of a lifetime. No elk taken but to hear a bull bugle at the higher elevations we were hunting, sent chills through me. They are truly magnificent animals. I have seen as many as 200+ on a grassy mountain slope through my binoculars while on a summer camping trip and that was a great thrill.

Utah has a draw system and it is impossible for me to fully understand. I have applied numerous years and drew nothing but you build up points.

bigjeepman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2020
    SLC
    A friend with horses invited me to go on a horseback trip to scout for elk in the Ashley National Forest. It was for 4 days and was an incredible
    experience. Here are a few pictures at 7500' above sea level ...
    d6dAmDA.jpg

zovY3DO.jpg

Oi8HKJY.jpg

Ob0AwkW.jpg

iPHZX5L.jpg

JFKWOdE.jpg

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Beautiful Pictures. Thank you for sharing those. I always tell my wife I want to move out west or to upstate Michigan but she likes the beach and hates the cold weather.

bigjeepman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2020
    SLC
    Beautiful Pictures. Thank you for sharing those. I always tell my wife I want to move out west or to upstate Michigan but she likes the beach and hates the cold weather.
    I have been out here since 2006 and I still think Indiana gets more snow than we do here in the SL valley. Now if you go to higher elevations in the mountains, that is another story.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Love hiking and rock climbing in the Grand Staircase National Monument area south of Escalante. I intend to get back out and kayak Lake Powell soon. I'm jealous, Utah is one of my favorite places.
    The pic below is from hiking in Peek-a-boo Slot Canyon.

Dirty Steve

Z

Top Bottom