• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My dad has an old Winchester 12ga single shot. I like the old gun, It was his dads gun, so its stood the test of time. Still shoots just fine.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    H&R probably makes the best single barrel rifle/shotgun for the money.

Not anymore. They are part of the Freedom Group of companies; H&R is owned by Marlin, which in turn is owned by Remington. And as with both Remington AND Marlin, H&R's quality has started to go downhill in recent months.

IMO, the Rossi R44 single-shot .44Mag is a better buy than the equivalent H&R SB1.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Contender & Savage

Well, "single shot rifle" doesn't narrow it down much. There are a bunch of them. I have a T/C Contender with 3 barrels and all of them shoot very well. I also have a Savage 12FV-S (as in single) chambered in .17 Fireball which is the most accurate rifle I own. What you're going to find with many break-action single shot rifles is that they are limited by their triggers. They're usually light and come from the factory with a trigger pull that's heavier than the gun. Not good!

The Savage was rebarreled and the Contender had a trigger job. Both were done by Indy Gun Works. Excellent results from both.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Well, "single shot rifle" doesn't narrow it down much. There are a bunch of them. I have a T/C Contender with 3 barrels and all of them shoot very well. I also have a Savage 12FV-S (as in single) chambered in .17 Fireball which is the most accurate rifle I own. What you're going to find with many break-action single shot rifles is that they are limited by their triggers. They're usually light and come from the factory with a trigger pull that's heavier than the gun. Not good!

The Savage was rebarreled and the Contender had a trigger job. Both were done by Indy Gun Works. Excellent results from both.

The older Contenders, had an adjustable trigger....... :cool:

zombiekilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    Mt. Vernon
    My brand new H + R is in the shop. It is a .243 and was sent back to the manufacturer for opening on recoil. Called them many time and could not get a person to talk to. Once I finally got through, I gave the SN and they sesnt it to St. Peters Police. Took them a week to get the gun back, reprocess and ship. As of today I still haven't recieved my rifle. Truely crap. I won't buy another! Customer service was horrible. After reading and doing some checking, H + R are notorious for coming open on recoil. Save your money, and buy a TC or a Ruger #1.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've owned both H&R/NEF single shots and an encore single shot. I took my first two deer with my encore 30-06. It's a different kind of hunt when you know you've only got one shot.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have 2 H&R's one in .44 mag and one in .357 mag...both are great rifles!
    And being single shots, they keep me from wasting ammo.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Of course

The older Contenders, had an adjustable trigger....... :cool:

Story of my life. :( Mine is a G2 I bought for about half price when Galyan's was going out of business. Now that it's trigger has been "massaged", it shoots very well though not often. I have .223, .17 Fireball, and .17 HMR barrels. :)

Top Bottom