• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmcman355

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    I'm looking to get into the reloading game mainly for the accuracy improvement possibility in my bolt guns and to cut down the cost a little in my handguns while still shooting quality ammo. Have heard mixed reviews on rcbs kits as of late and didn't know if there was any truth to them or not. One of my buddies has a lee press but uses all rcbs dies and a electronic scale with a powder trickler. I was hoping to just use the beam scale for set up and then the powder drop for production. Is the rcbs rock chucker supreme kit worth the extra money over lee or hornady.

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    I believe so. I use the rcbs for the first stage of reloading, and thn I use my lyman all American to finish. I also use a beam scale with a trickler. And my loads are right on

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I started with a dillon progressive, and used both the rock chucker and hornady that friends owned. I bought the hornady due to the priming feature but you can't go wrong with either I don't think...

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I like the Lee because of the quick change bushing feature. It is light weight aluminum and does not take up a lot of space. They do have a cast iron model I believe.

If loading larger rifle calibers you may prefer the strength and stiffness of the RCBS. These things are tanks built of heavy cast iron and take up a little more room.

Like anything else it is personal preference and what may fit your needs the best. All the above mentioned presses will do the job.

I think kits kind of suck. Yes they will get you started in hand loading although will most likely be replaced with better quality more efficient tools over time.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Don't buy a kit.

Buy a book, read it, and save yourself money and time on the crap you WON'T buy.

Specifically: "Reloading for Competition" by Glen Zediker.

-Nate

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I started with the Hornady single stage kit and I'm glad I did. I found that I liked everything it came with much better than the rcbs kit, and it comes with more stuff. The only thing I didn't like about it was having to buy more LNL bushings for all of my dies.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As has been said, kits are not usually the way to go unless you just want to shop one place and do one click and be done.

I bought my Rockchucker used and pieced the rest together. Got what I wanted and saved money over the kit.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    + 1 for the hornady lnl single stage. I've loaded thousands of rounds on mine and am glad i got the kit. If for no other reason than getting 500 free boolits from the rebate program. I think the lock and load is the way to go, but you might have good results with another product. And reloading is a seriously FUN game to be in!

gmcman355

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    What specifically is in the kit that would be better off replaced? Ive been eyeing the rcbs rock chucker supreme kit but all the entry level kits seem to offer the same basic components

gmcman355

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Going to something like a chargemaster instead of the beam scale is tempting but would like to keep the initial cost in check some just in case I don't end up sticking with it. Also if I understand correctly once you have your powder measure set up to the charge you desire you don't necessarily need to check each one? Seems like the scale would be useable for 4 or 5 calibers and a few thousand rounds a year

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Going to something like a chargemaster instead of the beam scale is tempting but would like to keep the initial cost in check some just in case I don't end up sticking with it. Also if I understand correctly once you have your powder measure set up to the charge you desire you don't necessarily need to check each one? Seems like the scale would be useable for 4 or 5 calibers and a few thousand rounds a year

If I was loading rifle rounds, I'd weigh each one. At least for precision shooting.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I'm not in the game yet, but I'd probably at least batch test, maybe one for every ten loaded.

gmcman355

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    I would agree with that and intend to do just that for my longer range setup. That realistically will probably only be 40-50 rounds per month though. Will hopefully be doing a 100 -200 rounds a week through my pistols though. From what I have seen as long as I use a powder that cant be double charged without spilling out of case I should be reasonably safe only measuring 1 out of every 10-15 rounds. Does that sound about right or am I off somewhere. I have looked at the turret presses and progressives. Even if I got to that point with my handgun ammo I think I would still want a single stage for my rifle rounds as has been recommended here. What about the lee press and quick change bushings is desireable over the rock chucker. Or can the quick change bushings be used in an rcbs

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Regarding kits. The Lee safety scale in the Lee kit is not very nice. It is fine for double checking charges on an autodisc powder dump but not adequate for trickling powder and such.

If I were starting off and wanted a single stage I would go with a Rock Chucker and not look back. The supreme kit has good components. My dad bought one in the 70s and still loads with it today. Only thing that gave up was the hand primer. Same press, same scale, same powder dump, same trickler, even the same nasty old grease pad.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I really have no problem with the little Lee press or Lee dies. The later Lee Challenger presses use the quick change system like the Hornady. I do not think the Challenger press would hold up for high volume use on Full length sizing 30-06 or other big rifle brass. They do work great for pistol reloading. The handle attaching hardware on the newer quick change Lee Challenger is a better design than the old, pre quick change model. To really benefit the quick change system, you need the quick change bushings on everything. For me that is 14 die sets plus 1/2 a dozen specialty dies. I am too cheap to do that, so I keep screwing them in.

The powder measure in the Lee kit is on the marginal side, works but is not a long life piece of equipment. A good one lasts a long time. I still have my old Pacific pistol powder measure that was a brand that became Hornady about 40 years ago. My RCBS is 20 plus years old, as is the Redding. They are all superior. I do not trust the LEE powder scale, and found it difficult to use. Most other brands use the Ohaus style beam and piviots on their own base. That is a repeatably accurate system.

A good kit can be a good thing, but any savings is quickly offset if you end up replacing some, or most of what comes with the kit.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    Might want to look at the redding big boss 2. I switched from a rock chucker to it only because it actually catches the spent primers. If I am using a powder measure I only check a drop every 50 rounds. I would not buy a kit because one company does not make what I consider the best of everything, I like to mix and match. I have RCBS, Redding, pact and hornady stuff.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The powder measure in the Lee kit is on the marginal side, works but is not a long life piece of equipment. A good one lasts a long time. I still have my old Pacific pistol powder measure that was a brand that became Hornady about 40 years ago. My RCBS is 20 plus years old, as is the Redding. They are all superior. I do not trust the LEE powder scale, and found it difficult to use. Most other brands use the Ohaus style beam and piviots on their own base. That is a repeatably accurate system.
    Are you talking about the Auto Disk or the one that comes in the Lee single stage kit? If the auto disk, can you recommend a better one that functions the same?

Top Bottom