• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    My family and I were out and about yesterday. What was supposed to be a quick check on the house that we close on this week turned into a shopping/dinner trip. My normal carry gear accompanied us, my wife does not carry.

On the way back we stopped at the Mitchell CVS which only my wife entered due to my 5 and 3 year old daughters being asleep in there car seats. Normally we all go in. I backed into a parking spot 90 degress off axis with the entrance, allowing for a unobscured view people coming and going about 25 yards away.

After about 5 minutes some thugish looking 18-20 year old guys come out and zoom away nearly hitting a person walking in the parking lot. Another idiot behind the wheel I assume.

Maybe a minute after that I noticed one of ladies that works at CVS outside the store walking around rapidly like she is looking for someone. Maybe somebody left money or their receipt on the counter. Again assuming.

A minute after that I hear a siren, a Mitchell PD cruiser zips into the lot and a very professional looking officer trots into the store with his hand near his sidearm. I am thinking WTF and hoping there wasnt a oxy cotton robbery or something. My daughters are still snoozing in the back seats. Despite the fact that I was wanting to check on my wife I was not going to jepordize their safety( by leaving them alone) especially in case someone has over powered the officer and might be seeking a get away vehicle.

My wife keeps her cell on vibrate and I call her. She is checking out and doesn't even see the officer. She says there is no disturbance in the store.

As I am talking to her a Lawrence County Deputy pulls up followed by another less than a minute later. The 2nd one passes my wife as she walks out and begins checking cars parked near the store. We sat there for about 2 minutes in case he needed something but he never even glanced our way. We left and I still havent heard anything about what happened.

Has anyone been in the situation where you have had to decide which family members safety and well being had precedence at the time?

Last edited:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    That would suck to have to make the decision. I think you handled it just fine though. You called your wife and she was OK. the only thing you might want to do is contact the police department with what you saw. The "thugs" could be who the police are looking for and your description of their car etc. might help to catch them.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    That would suck to have to make the decision. I think you handled it just fine though. You called your wife and she was OK. the only thing you might want to do is contact the police department with what you saw. The "thugs" could be who the police are looking for and your description of their car etc. might help to catch them.

Ya, the police might want a description of the suspects and their car. Don't you think?

When your wife came back out to the car it would have been beneficial if you would have went in and talked to an officer and informed them of the direction and color of car. It would have greatly enhanced the efforts of catching them if they did indeed rob the store.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Has anyone been in the situation where you have had to decide which family members safety and well being had precedence at the time?

That's always going to be a tough decision, but I think small children are helpless, and thus get the nod. I'm sure your wife would agree.

This is yest another decision that probably needs to be considered before you're faced with it in real life (again).

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    some places you just have to use with a heightened sense of awareness.

Drug stores, gas stations, convenience stores all seem to be high on the list of local robbers.

I keep an eye on the IndyUnsolved facebook pages, since so many of those crimes happen in the areas I live and work.

IndyUnsolved | Facebook

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    MITCHELL — Police continue looking for a man who demanded prescription medication from the CVS/pharmacy store in Mitchell Saturday afternoon.

Mitchell Police Chief Jerry Presnell said a man, described as being white, about 6 feet tall with dark hair, a beard, a mustache and glasses, walked into the store and demanded a prescription drug from pharmacy workers.

“Basically what he did is he walked back to the pharmacy, asked for Oxycontin and the pharmacy workers told him he needed a prescription,” Presnell said. “He lifted up his shirt, where he had a gun, and they gave him the medication. He then walked out of the store. It wasn’t a money thing. It was drugs.”

The robbery was reported by a female employee at 4:41 p.m., and deputies from the Lawrence County Police Department and Indiana State Police troopers were called for assistance.

The store is located at Ind. 37 and Ind, 60 West, and reports on the dispatch log said officers were looking for the suspect’s vehicle on Ind. 60 West after the robbery.

Although Presnell stopped short of calling him a suspect, the police chief said officers did speak with a person of interest. However, the man, who was wanted on a warrant out of Jackson County, fled after questioning.

Presnell took paperwork to the prosecutor’s office this morning to request the prosecutor file an escape charge against the man.

The investigation is continuing, Presnell said.

Source: Log in: HeraldTimesOnline.com

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    Folks I did call the police and left my contact info with them. I was contacted today. I was more concerned with removing my family from harms way as the LEO's were still actively seaching the parking lot and we were unsure of what threat existed.

Last edited:

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    This is also an excellent example of why your wife should be carrying.

She is extremely anti gun despite being a fellow Vet with excellent firearms skills. Her grandfather had a ND/AD years ago with a 1917 45 ACP revolver and shot himself in the head( grazing wound) in front of her. Yet she still drives a car after her cousin a was killed in a car accident.:rolleyes:

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    I. Family
    A. Children
    1. IF unable to defend self, defend the Kids. IF they are able to defend self move on.
    B. Wife or GF
    1. If unable to defend self, defend. If able Move on.
    C. Dog Always defend he'll be there to defend you!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom