• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coach13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    So me and my 2 oldest decide to stop eating and run over to Dicks in Avon to score some deals, Ads said they had 22 for $20. So we get there at 5:05 go to the gun dept, stand in line, not long as their staff was really organized and really nice. We get a box each since there was a limit of one, again no big deal everyone was getting some. So we get our turn in line to pay for our stuff. The teller said before she can ring up the ammo I had to give her my birth date and then answer the question on the screen....... the question asked it I was a U.S. Citizen or residential alien. I politely replied with "I am not answering that". The Dicks staff member responded by informing me I have to answer the question by law or I can not purchase ammo. I was shocked. I almost walked out and left the $400 worth of stuff right there, $60 was ammo, but 22 is hard to find so I swallowed, answered yes on the machine, and then looked for a manager afterwards with no luck.

Anyone seen this? I buy ammo all the time and have never had this happen.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I agree it's none of the governments business but I guess with all the illegals they are shipping all over the country at least I know they can't buy up all the 22 ammo. I would have answered the question as well.

Coach13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I thought our fearless leader took care of our illegal problems? Sarcastic smartass right there...lol I was also paying cash so the card reader question process was unusual as well.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    It is illegal to sell ammo to anyone that is NOT a US Citizen or resident alien. They were just making sure that they were in compliance with the law. It's not like they asked for your name and address as they did years ago.

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    I thought it was weird today when I was checking out. I did manage to pick up 300 rounds of 5.56 Green tips for $100, so I was pretty happy about that.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I'm sorry, what?

Do you mean illegal alien perhaps? Perhaps this is just term confusion, but your statement is incorrect.

What is incorrect about it, and why?

[h=2]US state and federal gun laws for non-citizen Federal Issues:[/h]In general, non-immigrant aliens are forbidden to possess any firearms or ammunition. But there is a big exception for a legal alien who:
    ...is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States
    (See Title 18, USC Chapter 44, Section 922, part (y)(2) for details.)
    Green-card holders and immigrant aliens who do not yet have their green card are both okay under federal law, although many people (including gun dealers, law enforcement officers, etc.) are not aware of the distinction or the hunting license exception, and erroneously think that either you have a green card, or you can't have guns.

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    It took all of three seconds to touch the yes and no buttons on terminal and I got a great deal on a case of shotgun shells, and no black helicopters followed me home. Dick's, at least the ones in Indianapolis, have been asking these questions for at least two years.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I scored three 100 rd CCI Mini mags at Walmart for $7.47 each. Mrs Glue was with me so she got three as well. The Guy asked if I was a US citizen and I answered yes, Cuzz I am. He then said this isn't for a handgun is it? Feeling prompted by the way he asked the question I replied with a no.

My first thought was to ask what a handgun had to do with it, but then started thinking about if they have a wig section in the store and lost my train of thought about the handgun question.

Why the wig? So that I could put on a disguise and return for another 300 rounds. :shady:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I pick up ammo at Dicks Greenwood quite often and never been asked a thing. I've even picked up some bulk packs in Avon before and never been asked but that's been about 2 years ago at the Avon store.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I scored three 100 rd CCI Mini mags at Walmart for $7.47 each. Mrs Glue was with me so she got three as well. The Guy asked if I was a US citizen and I answered yes, Cuzz I am. He then said this isn't for a handgun is it? Feeling prompted by the way he asked the question I replied with a no.

My first thought was to ask what a handgun had to do with it, but then started thinking about if they have a wig section in the store and lost my train of thought about the handgun question.

Why the wig? So that I could put on a disguise and return for another 300 rounds. :shady:

Handgun question relates to the age/DOB question they ask.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just answer yes. Its a simple yes/no question, and its not like they asked to scan the barcode of your drivers license and/or fingerprint you. (hint: EVERYONE is going to say yes, legal or not. Just sayin...)

IMG_1496.JPG

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana

Probably because of the age. 21 if its for a handgun 18 if its for a rifle.

Many years ago (close to 20) a buddy of mine had a 9mm rifle and they actually made him bring his rifle into the store before they would sell him the ammo because he was under 21.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
    Handgun question relates to the age/DOB question they ask.
    [/FONT]

Probably because of the age. 21 if its for a handgun 18 if its for a rifle.

Many years ago (close to 20) a buddy of mine had a 9mm rifle and they actually made him bring his rifle into the store before they would sell him the ammo because he was under 21.

Ah ha.... The age thing. He looked up and said yea your over 21. I kiddingly accused him of calling me an old fart. :fogey:

Top Bottom