• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    I have been learning some new skills in the last few month for an kind of Shtf/Life situation. Examples, different ways to start a fire, ways to collect and purify water, plants in my area that are edible and so on. What are some skill that one would suggest learning for a life/shtf situation that an average joe might not know? And what are good ways to learn/practice said skills?

tackdriver47371

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Jay County
    I started ma (martial arts) I mainly wanted to learn to disarm an opponent but it has turned into class two nights a week. Its really awesome. I have been an avid outdoorsman for many years but the idea of ever facing an armed person while unarmed scared me.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I've tried to become moderately proficient over the last 10 years at a number of skills. Blacksmithing, wood working, leather working mainly. I grew up in scouting and have fairly well-rounded camping skills and such but not anywhere near an extreme survivalist but I can adapt.

brrytrry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    First aid is very important
    How to catch and cook small game
    Fishing
    Camping skills - looks like you already started on these

Books, Internet and practice are the best ways to learn most of the skills. If you're in to camping try doing it in a lot of different environments and different weather conditions. The storms and rain downfalls you experience on early spring are a lot different than the unbearable heat you have to deal with in late August. How you react to each is a challenge in its own.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    The skills I want to learn this year is how to make soap....and medical herbs. Soap is something we don't think much about....but it is needed to stay healthy. I have also been thing of an alliterative for when my toilet paper runs out. May sound gross but I am considering buying a couple hundred cheap wash clothes. They can be washed and reused.

brrytrry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Start growing Lambs Ear. I took a edible plants tour at Salamonie Resevoir last year. The lady giving the tour was Native American and she said that is what the warriors used to use while out hunting and needed to do a field lay.

BTW never eat brown Lambs Ear or yellow snow.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I started ma (martial arts) I mainly wanted to learn to disarm an opponent but it has turned into class two nights a week. Its really awesome. I have been an avid outdoorsman for many years but the idea of ever facing an armed person while unarmed scared me.

I am only un-armed in the shower........:D

My wife is stocking up on poop paper and other toiletries so we will be OK for a while.

Between the skills we have as a group the only thing I need to get up to speed on is gardening and canning.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    Start growing Lambs Ear. I took a edible plants tour at Salamonie Resevoir last year. The lady giving the tour was Native American and she said that is what the warriors used to use while out hunting and needed to do a field lay.

:D made me lol
    But I had never thought of lambs ear for that but it might actually be kinda nice!!

I am working on my collection and organizational skills: Trying to think of all the things that I do not want to live without for awhile and collecting an abundance and then creating a system of rotation that is easy and will keep everything (mostly the food) the freshest. Then I am starting to make binders of info I might need for gardening, canning, recipes, etc. that I would normally just google as I needed it. I keep thinking of questions I might have and then finding the answers while it is still easy to do so. Like today I looked into how long fresh eggs will last if not put in the fridge. Things like that.

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    MEDICAL SKILLS!

Old school CPR...basic field dressing...tournaquete...fracture splinting...immobilization....hygiene ...antibiotic use...basic running sutures...

By a catheter kit and a couple of age of D5W and saline. You can get a bottle of liquid Benedryl for your BOB for .88 cents at Walmart...liquid Benedryl will absorb into your system faster than pills should you get bee stings...tubes of triple antibiotic for .88 cents...bottle of peroxide, alcohol, sterile saline for eye wash are all .88 cents.

You can go to a gun show and get a nice trauma / surgical kit for $25...add more forceps, hemostats, etc as needed. Can also get bask suture kits on the cheap.

Lastly, Kwikclot or celox.

Again....fire starting equipment and medical equipment are paramount

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon

Thanks...but might still need some toilet paper in the winter.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    :D made me lol
    But I had never thought of lambs ear for that but it might actually be kinda nice!!

I am working on my collection and organizational skills: Trying to think of all the things that I do not want to live without for awhile and collecting an abundance and then creating a system of rotation that is easy and will keep everything (mostly the food) the freshest. Then I am starting to make binders of info I might need for gardening, canning, recipes, etc. that I would normally just google as I needed it. I keep thinking of questions I might have and then finding the answers while it is still easy to do so. Like today I looked into how long fresh eggs will last if not put in the fridge. Things like that.

I seen some where that if you coat them with oil that will last quite a while.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Tbald14,

All of the above skills listed are good, but consider how long an event is going to be.

If we are talking about a short (<30 days) event then a broad base of all skills is important but most problems can be solved in these events by simply having the proper items stored.

If we are talking about a very long term (ie. TEOTWAWKI) then the real need is going to be in SPECIALIZATION!

Knowing all of the skills will be great - except you won't have time for them! In the long term a broad understanding is good but you will be able to get by with specialization.

Learn how to make honey, or blacksmith, or gunsmith, or fix small electronics, or make biodiesel, or make beet sugar, or or or... Find your niche and TRADE!

There could be some sort of Rambo that knows everything. Great. In the long run so what? Yes, Rambo could do everything EXCEPT for the fact that there is only so much time in a day so Rambo cannot do everything! There just isn't enough time to do it all. Rambo cannot grow a garden and can it and butcher the animals and smoke them and go hunting and fix the equipment and make supplies and and and...

My intent is to grow the stuff I need and have the equipment on hand to be able to make beer, wine and hard liquor. With those supplies available I will be able to trade for the rest. I thought about also making honey but how much time to do so? Maybe.

Do NOT misunderstand me. I am not saying not to learn the basics of first aid and canning and gardening and fixing. All of these are very important. Just consider your familial and friend resources and consider that you won't have the time to do all of this stuff. Know it to teach. Know it to share. Know it to do it in a pinch. Just don't plan on doing all of it every day.

The importance of daylight is severely underestimated. Everything goes to hell in a handbasket and travel times increase. Takes more time. Electricity or natural gas gone? Cooking time using wood increases? Water flow stops? Just disposing of urine and feces will take more time than just flushing the toilet.

Be prepared for everything. But be prepared to specialize, then trade.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

Doug

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Bushcraft: fire, shelter, water and food procurement, tracking, land navigation, weather, plant ID, rope work, climbing, camo.

Fitness, swimming, 1st aid, trauma

Gardening, raising animals, leathercraft, canning, carpentry, small engine repair, gunsmithing, wood cutting and felling trees.

HAM radio, comms,

A second language

Firearms skills, markmanship, empty hand fighting, small unit tactics.

GO!

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    being more active & fit

Bushcraft: fire, shelter, water and food procurement, tracking, land navigation, weather, plant ID, rope work, climbing, camo.

Fitness, swimming, 1st aid, trauma

Gardening, raising animals, leathercraft, canning, carpentry, small engine repair, gunsmithing, wood cutting and felling trees.

HAM radio, comms,

A second language

Firearms skills, markmanship, empty hand fighting, small unit tactics.

GO!

These things are key. I see a lot of people that are prepping, but arent taking care of their own bodies. Being physically fit is a huge advantage. I feel that being in shape will give me the extra edge needed in some situations. I am not saying it is easy, but I used to be close to 300lbs, I am 6'3", and now am down to 213. It was tons of hard work and eating healthy. Those self control excercises when everyone else is eating pizza are good for you too! Work hard at it and it will reward you!

Molly Belle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    The skills I want to learn this year is how to make soap....and medical herbs. Soap is something we don't think much about....but it is needed to stay healthy. I have also been thing of an alliterative for when my toilet paper runs out. May sound gross but I am considering buying a couple hundred cheap wash clothes. They can be washed and reused.

I cloth diapered my youngest and used cloth wipes. They were really nice and did the job better than store bought. I don't see why you couldn't use them for adults. I just took 2 cups of boiled and cooled water, 2 tbsp of baby shampoo, and 2 tbsp of baby oil. You pour it over a wipes container filled with cloth wipes (or wash cloths). There is a way to fold them so that when you pull one out, the next one pops out. There are youtube videos that show how.
    You could keep a little bucket by the toilet for the dirty ones.

It would even save money to do it now.

Molly Belle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    As far as skills go, I think gardening would be very important. Also, learning alternative ways to cook would be great. Learn how to use a dutch oven. It is really fun, and could certainly come in handy! Someone said how to make soap, and it isn't hard. I would add learning to do laundry without a washing machine.
    There are so many skills that would be useful!

Top Bottom