• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I'm just curious how you'all feel. I bot an sks and put a tapco stock on it several months back. I think it looks fantastic but what I am liking more and more is the 7.62x39 ammo. I've shot many rifles in my life but this gun was cheap and so is the ammo. It doesn't have any issue and hits the mark beautifully at 100+ yards. I love this gun. Anyone else feel likewise.

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    Yes. Just recently I pick up a norico and a Yugo. Haven't shot the norico yet but i have the Yugo. Nice shooten rifle not much recoil. But I did notice how different the two rifles weigh. Yugo is a bid heavier.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Welcome to the world of the SKS. It is a fantastic weapon. I have a Russian and Chinese w/fixed 20 rd mag. I could say lots more but there are many places on the web to learn about the SKS.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I have a Yugo, Love shooting that thing! Cheap ammo and alot of bang for the buck. Just remember to keep that bore clean, if your using the corosive surp ammo!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    For the money the SKS is one of the best carbines out there. Combat proven in many theaters of conflict, with a very potent round.

Dollar for Dollar is is definitely one of the best values out there.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    My best friend has one, I've shot it alot and if I was in the market for a 7.62x 39, I would have no problem in buying an sks. IMHO it shoots heck of a lot better then my MAK90.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    if you want something different by the sgworks stock. I bullpupped mine and it's awesome.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    My father-in-law has one, and I'm actually going to go shooting with it again this weekend, it's a blast! And yes, 7.62x39 is one of the most fun rounds I've yet to experience.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Fairfield,OH.
    Dad had purchased an old 1954 Russian SKS. Since he had passed, mom gave me the guns he had. I converted it over to the Tapco setup, but have yet to shoot it since I currently have no place to shoot it (that will be changing shortly ;) )..But still not sure about the stock. I may try to look around for something different like a dragunov type or something more sniper looking:dunno:

Does anyone have experience with any of the aftermarket top rails with rails on them? Something like this SKS-501 - SKS Top Cover and TriRail Mounts Replaces Top Cover on Your SKS Rifle

I would like to put a scope on it, but I have seen some guys put optics way up on the front on the top handgaurd area and it just isn't to my liking on that...

BTW, before and after pics - Going to an actual Grippod or bipod, as this Tapco grip/bipod setup has way too much play in it for me...Modified the lower portion of the stock to allow the bayonet to be put back on :D

0408001255.jpg

0107010746.jpg

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Dad had purchased an old 1954 Russian SKS. Since he had passed, mom gave me the guns he had. I converted it over to the Tapco setup, but have yet to shoot it since I currently have no place to shoot it (that will be changing shortly ;) )..But still not sure about the stock. I may try to look around for something different like a dragunov type or something more sniper looking:dunno:

Does anyone have experience with any of the aftermarket top rails with rails on them? Something like this SKS-501 - SKS Top Cover and TriRail Mounts Replaces Top Cover on Your SKS Rifle

I would like to put a scope on it, but I have seen some guys put optics way up on the front on the top handgaurd area and it just isn't to my liking on that...

Here's my :twocents: on the above, etc.

+1 on the SKS (16" or 20") either way, any manufacturer/origin. They all go BANG and some go SLAM BANG until empty. :ar15: (Check your firing pin operation).

BTW: I think the 20" will bring a tighter group at 100 yards if that is your thing. Flyers are known for this round but may have more to do with overheating barrels.

The 7.62x39 round is now global.....for a reason. Low cost helps. Beware of soft primers in USA rounds. Stick with Russian ammo and anything else you can find from overseas. Your SKS just wants fed and isn't picky.

Scope mounted receiver covers are a can of worms. Try a few and prepare to file down the front tangs for a tight custom fit. After a happy slamfest day at the range, it won't be tight any more, even with a buffer. Leapers has a version with side hold down bolts as an option. Some are milled and some are cast. Opinions abound on this subject.

If you are lucky, you might find a receiver cover/scope combination that holds a sloppy zero and 6" groups are easy from a bench bag or bipod. If you really want to go the scope route, a side mount Choate is the way to go but once you drill the receiver, you can't go back. Also consider the shell ejection path related to the scope length. A compact scope may be enough for a 100 yard shooter.

The Drag stock is a winner but the purist loose sleep when we molest the SKS. They will get over it, eventually. The Choate is a bit better in quality but the ATI will do just fine. Trigger pull length related to stock length is important if you are going the scope route. You don't want to get hit in the eye from recoil. Eye relief should also be a factor. Iron sights at 100 yards is not kid play but is doable. Upgrading sights is often recommended by the purist.

Whatever you do, go shoot the darn thing and it's okay to smile after a few rounds of noise making. :rockwoot::D

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I'm just curious how you'all feel. I bot an sks and put a tapco stock on it several months back. I think it looks fantastic but what I am liking more and more is the 7.62x39 ammo. I've shot many rifles in my life but this gun was cheap and so is the ammo. It doesn't have any issue and hits the mark beautifully at 100+ yards. I love this gun. Anyone else feel likewise.

I've had my SKS for about 4 years now. I love it! The ammo is cheap and you can buy it most anywhere that sells ammo. Mine is not a 100 yard gun though. I have it zeroed for 50 with iron sights. At 25 yards it's dead on. I dig it! :rockwoot:It's a great truck gun.

Last edited:

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I'm hoping to add Tech Sights to my Norinco soon. They're suppose to make a huge difference. I've also been thinking about sending the trigger group off to Kivaari. Rumor has it he works some pretty good magic on them. I love my SKS! I actually enjoy shooting it more than an AR (I'm not saying it's a better weapon, just that I enjoy it more).

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I'm hoping to add Tech Sights to my Norinco soon. They're suppose to make a huge difference. I've also been thinking about sending the trigger group off to Kivaari. Rumor has it he works some pretty good magic on them. I love my SKS! I actually enjoy shooting it more than an AR (I'm not saying it's a better weapon, just that I enjoy it more).

I just put a set on my yugo, they r well worth the money! Have no problem at all plinking pop cans a 75yrds with it now:yesway:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Reciever cover scope mounts are not worth the money. Long term they are very difficult to get to hold zero due to two things:

1) Recoil spring movement under the cover, and a lot of the recoil energy ends up in the scope and mount.
    2) To field strip the rifle the mounts have to come off, making it tough to retain zero.

If you must have a scope on the rifle, either the scout scope set up that replaces the rear sight leaf, or a drill and tap mount into the reciever is the way to go. Both are not much more expensive than a reciever cover mount.

The Techsights are one of the best upgrades out there for an SKS.

Joedirt82

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Westfield
    Like what everyone else said, Beware of the receiver cover rails. I bought a russian with one on it....shot it 5 times before I came to the conclusion that they were worthless. you would be more accurate if you bumpfired it from the waist.

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    I had a Russian SKS awhile back. Loved it and shot the hell out of it. Great gun

I strongly recommend you do not scope your SKS. I destroyed 2 scopes on mine. The rounds eject straight up and hit the bottom of the scope every time.

Maybe get a forward rail and a scout scope with a long eye re-leaf.
    SKS432.jpg

Last edited:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I've seen a lot of scope mounts and optics setups on the SKS. I tried to run a red dot on my SKS, on the gas tube, I ended up ditching it very quickly. I have found that I prefer the iron sights on my SKS.

As someone mentioned earlier though, I do want to upgrade to the Techsight on the rear and possibly a fiber optic front post. I just haven't taken that plunge. But, for my money, on an SKS, it doesn't get much better than irons.

Top Bottom