• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    An sks is a fine starter semi auto rifle. I would personally rather pay a little more money and get a decent used AK47. I believe the AK to be more user friendly than an SKS and mags and accessories are much more readily available. Either way 7.62x39 is a great inexpensive round to plink with. I am surprised that nobody has suggested you check out the AKs. I love my Norinco AKs so much I bought a Norinco SKS, mainly cause I liked the folding bayonet. I couldnt get comfortable with the sks after using AKs and really dont see any advantage to the sks over the AK other than its cheaper to buy.

Go AK and you will never regret it

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Like someone else said, if you can't hit with iron sights out to 100 yds then something else is wrong. The SKS is a fine rifle. I have a Norinco SKS and a Polytech AKS. The SKS is inherently more accurate then the AK due to the milled receiver. Don't worry about getting mags for the SKS either. You can load stripper clips pretty easily and fast in the 10rd fixed mag versus fumbling around with crappy duckbill mags. :twocents:

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    I like the Yugo SKS. Once you learn to work the gas break on it, its a sweet rifle. And im not blowing smoke here, I would hunt almost anything with it if it were allowed.

oldshaky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greensburg
    SKS rifles accuracy varies from rifle to rifle . I have had several over the years , some were very accurate , a few were so so , but 2 were flat out junk couldnt hit anything with them . For the price an SKS rifle is a good value

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Depends on what the country of origin is. 250 is about right tho for todays market

I didn't even notice your location, I was shooting mine in vincennes today. You could have tried them out!

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    im yet another person that pefer my sks as a yote deterant 3 kills so far on my yugo id stay with a hollow point or soft point round sense your not shooting into a backstop they are a "bit safer" but all common sense applies! i pefer hollow points but the sks doesnt have the greatest bullet guide in the world so jams are more common... soft points do feed extremely well though.... now i have both a chinese sks non norinco (dads) and my yugo sks iv played with the non chrome lined barrel in my yugo groups much better shooting clays at 200 yard i can hit around 7 clays out of a 10 round box mag, vs the Chinese i may be able to hit 2 with 10 rounds and both are dialed in ..... however my yugo like all yugo guns are very heavy and much more solid but but cleaning a non chrome lined bore is a bit more work

Bigjon07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Go to the range and shoot a couple different rifles and go with what feels right. Just about any small rifle round you can take a coyote with. You just need to know if you are keeping the pelt.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Not being negative here, just honest. I had a Chinese (Norinco) SKS and could not hit a milk jug at 25yds with it. If you want an inexpensive Yote gun, You may want to look for a Mosin-Nagant in 7.62 Russian or a russian SKS with a screwed barrel . The Mosin's can be had in Lafayette for $125.00 and they have been re-barreled. My son has one that is very accurate with iron sight at 100yds. If you get one, watch your backstop (Cows) as that round does not know when to stop.

Not to sound like an ass, but you sure it was the rifle?

Top Bottom