• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    So there are many, many threads about the sks vs ak, mini 14 vs ak, mini 14 vs ar-15, sks vs ar 15, and so on. It doesn't seem like much discussion exists comparing the sks and mini-14. So in general what do you think?

More specific to my case, I kind of have a desire to get a mini. However, I have an sks. It shoots very nicely and is quite accurate for what it is. I can't stand the wood stock, but that is easily enough fixed if I would buy an aftermarket one. I would like an all-around "ranch" and SHTF gun, as my wife and I will soon be moving to a more rural location. Do you think there are any clear advantages of the mini, especially since I already have an sks?

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    Alot easier to reload the mini than the sks.If you get factory mags for your mini it will be one of the most reliable firearms you'll ever own.Accuracy is better with the mini-14 as well.

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    The Mini-14 like all Rugers are backed by a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service. I've been out of the Loop for a while and Ruger might have changed their warranty policy. Those are two things a SKS doesn't have. Plus Ruger made a thicker barrel for the Mini since I've been away.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I would say this comparison would just about be a wash with the edge given to the Mini-14 for ease of mounting optics.

Price...SKS with a trigger job and Tech Sights is a bit cheaper.
    Ammo...about even
    Effective range...about even
    Reloading... I have seen guys that are faster with stripper clips than I am with a mag...it is even
    Reliability...leave the factory 10 round mag in the SKS and both are equally reliable.

I think this one comes down to personal preference.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    451's assessment is pretty good. I'd say that with accuracy, range, and reliability being roughly equal, I'd rather have two SKS's than one mini-14 for the price.

Something to keep in mind is that the SKS was designed as a battle rifle, whereas the mini-14 is more of an adaptation of a battle rifle deisgn for more typical civilian use. With that said, there were of course the mini-14's that were made/used by Law Enforcement.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I think the .223 cartridge is superior due to its range, so I would give the nod to the Mini-14 even though I would prefer an AR-15 to both.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I am a fan of the mini 14. I believe that if they mini 14 had gotten on the market faster, I think it would have been adopted by the military over the m16. I think this because it's basically a Garand action and is a traditional gun. When the M 16 was introduced it was like nothing else on the market, plastic and aluminum. Based on these facts, it's as I said my belief that military officials would have probably picked it for service use over the M 16. I know this has nothing to do with the mini vs SKS, but just wanted to throw that in.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I believe that if they mini 14 had gotten on the market faster, I think it would have been adopted by the military over the m16.
    I don't think so. They were looking for innovation and wanted something modular. Eugene and Armalite gave them exactly that. Also the selection had been made and rifles in SEAsia before Ruger even began development in '67. The design process started in '67 and wasn't complete until '73 when it went into production. As you can see in the next post, there wasn't even any interest by other nations when it came out. If it were THAT good, they would have fallen over one another to get their hands on what the US passed up.

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Here is a list of users from wiki Ruger Mini-14 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    • 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
      Australia: Previously used in the 1980's/1990's by the New South Wales Department of Corrective Services.[13]

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Here is a list of users from wiki Ruger Mini-14 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I have had SKSs, mini-14s and mini-30s. I liked them all and never had any problems with any of them. The only advantage that I really saw wih the SKS had over the Rugers is that you can field strip an SKS much easier than you can a Ruger 14 or 30 if that ever needs to be done. I am not an expert marksman, but a couple of the best 50 yard targets I ever shot at was with iron sights on an SKS paratrooper carbine. My SKSs have all been from China and I have never shot or owned any of the European ones if there is any difference between them other than the length of the butt. I have had no troubles with my minis since I spent the money went to factory mags. Some of the aftermarket mags worked just fine after I tuned the feed lips, but that was a hassle to do when you would rather have been shooting than jacking around doing that. Just my rambling two cents.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    i've got a sks and a mini 30. IMO, my mini 30 is just a tad more accurate. both are a load of fun to shoot. my wife handled the recoil of the sks just fine but she has not had a chance to shoot the mini yet. my only complaint about the mini is trying to get factory 20 rd. mags. mine are still on backorder from ruger and they are $40 each. stripper clips for the sks are a hell of a lot cheaper. and as chraland51 said, the sks is a lot easier to field strip. especially if you mount a scope on the mini. so i guess what i'm tryin to say is, GET ONE OF EACH!:D

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I prefer shooting the SKS over the mini-14. Feels more comfortable, and feels like a real rifle heft wise. Now, there's was nothing wrong with shooting the mini-14, or the AR15.

It's all subjective any way.

Top Bottom