• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You are getting close. There aren't very many left.

I had 8 last year.:)

And the other night one was around my walkout basement door. The odor was strong enough that I smelled it when I got to the bottom of the stairs. Walked around outside today and couldn't see where they are making a home. Hopefully he was passing through. Last year I closed up their home they have had the last 10 years or so. I am thinking they may be looking for a new home, lol.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    You are getting close. There aren't very many left.

I certainly hope so. I want to go to my barn without having to worry about being sprayed.

I had 8 last year.:)

And the other night one was around my walkout basement door. The odor was strong enough that I smelled it when I got to the bottom of the stairs. Walked around outside today and couldn't see where they are making a home. Hopefully he was passing through. Last year I closed up their home they have had the last 10 years or so. I am thinking they may be looking for a new home, lol.

Mrs BobDaniels predicted 8; I hope she's wrong. I have seen 5 including the 4 that have been removed.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I certainly hope so. I want to go to my barn without having to worry about being sprayed.

Mrs BobDaniels predicted 8; I hope she's wrong. I have seen 5 including the 4 that have been removed.

It is nerve wracking trying to walk and work outside in the vicinity of a skunk family.:)

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Yes.

Dump a box of moth balls down each hole and cover the hole with a light weight piece of wood or cardboard.
    Don't make the lid so heavy that they can't get out.

Moth balls, in a confined space, will displace the oxygen making it inhospitable. It gives off fumes that smell similar to ether.
    Repeat as needed.
    I've used this method many times to rid a crawl space of unwanted critters. It's inexpensive, and it works.

This. It has kept them from using the opening inside the barn. Thank you Mr. Derf.

It is nerve wracking trying to walk and work outside in the vicinity of a skunk family.:)

This too.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    As some have said: smaller trap and use a large towel/old blanket held in front of you so it can't see you or your feet as you walk toward it and then cover it. I have then picked up the trap using the handle and place the whole thing (trap/towel) inside a large cardboard box to transport the critter off site to release/dispose of.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I have no sense of smell. I was sprayed a few years ago in Brown County. I didn't even see it until I about fell on it. It's weapons are useless against me. :-)

Jason

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I don't know if its been suggested or not yet as I did not read every reply before I did, but find a source either on line or OTC where you can buy coyote urine and place SMALL amounts of it anywhere or areas you know the skunks are using to get in and out of your barn as well as where they are sleeping. I don't know for certain if this will work, but it using coyote urine in the same manor has worked with great success by my friends to drive out and keep out unwanted raccoons and squirrels from their attics, sheds and barns.

Seeing as it's a skunk your dealing with if you decide to try out my suggestion, I would first find the skunks access point or points on the OUTSIDE of your barn and apply a goodly amount of coyote urine onto a substance placed there by you that is most likely to hold the smell for the longest period of time possible also out of the weather, again if at all possible.

Its a cheap and basically risk free method to try before you attempt more aggressive removal methods. In my experience with skunk removal I know of no method to remove them that requires direct involvement like some form of live trapping or shooting (even a perfectly placed brain shot) that doesn't end with the skunk spraying.

Top Bottom