• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I’ve been out of the construction and remodeling business for quite a few years, so I assume sliding door technology has probably advanced some.

Anyway, we’re looking to replace a set of French doors in our family room, the one we have now is 110” wide, three panels, with the door in the center of two stationary panels. We’re considering going with a sliding door, but I know the ones from years ago weren’t very secure, and most seemed to be drafty .

I’m looking at a 3 panel slider, actually going to the building supply place Saturday to look at some in the real, but I’d like to hear from someone that actually has a newer sliding door. I would really like to find one that has the main sliding panel in the center, but that’s not a deal breaker.

So, does anyone have a fairly new sliding door in their home? How do you like it? How is it at keeping cold air out? How secure is it?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We have a slider in our house just like you described. Our house was built with it in 1992. We replaced it about 10 years ago with one one from Window World. Never had a draft or heat issue. We love it. Security is no less than any full glass door.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I don’t have a modern slider, but our’s has been a good one. I believe we installed it around ‘95, and it’s a Peachtree brand. Cost about $1100 at the time, and it’s super heavy, probably 500 pounds, and it’s only two panels. So I’d advise to get the heaviest, bestest that you can afford, and it should last a long time.

Ours came with the integrated sliding screen door also, which we’ve enjoyed.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    As is the case in most aspects of life, the old adage, "You get what you pay for" applies here.

Do not try to go cheap.
    I'm not saying that there aren't expensive doors that are still crap, but I've yet to find a quality door that's inexpensive.

Top Bottom