• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    At about 3:45 or so this morning I am peacefully sleeping the night away. Something wakes me up. Did I actually hear something? OH CRAP there it is again.. I jump up from the bed, grab the .40 off the side table and slowly make my way down stairs. The noise is coming from the back part of our downstairs where our home office is and our tv/game room for the kids. Something or someone is making a huge racket. By this time the adrenaline is up. Through the kitchen I go, still in the dark slowly rounding corners as I make my way towards the noise. Checked both entry points on the way and both are still locked. I get to the bathroom and then more crazy noise from in there. I know it isn't the cat, because it is outside. The door is wide open so by then I am pretty sure it isn't a human intruder. Flip on the flashlight and see nothing. Flip on the lights and still nothing... hmmm... Start poking around and behind the toilet paper stockpile I find a pretty large mouse that had set off a mouse trap but only got it's tail. It was running around in the bathroom slamming the trap against stuff. Needless to say I didn't get back to sleep. But good to know that I sleep light enough to hear something downstairs. That has always worried me. We don't have an alarm system, but do have outside motion lights on the front and back of the house.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I don't understand the motion lights anymore. I think when they first came out they were good but I think they offer a false sense of security. How many times do you actually get up to see what is going on outside when they come on? How many times do you keep getting up to check?

Glad to hear it was only a mouse, but don't let the lights give you a false sense! And security in layers!

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    They were on the house when I moved in. Just left them there. I don't rely on them for anything other than coming on and off all the time when the wind blows. Both entry points are heavy steel doors with some upgrades on the framing I did when installing them. I have often thought about getting an alarm system, but the accounting department keeps telling me that isn't in the budget with the wonderful cost of Purdue for my daughter and 2 more coming up behind her. Anyone have any recommendations on an alternative alarm system that isn't as costly as say an integrated ADT system or something like that?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    There are many threads here with diy alarms that can be monitored by an independent company. I'd look into something like that and away from ADT.
    Also cameras/dvr/remote viewing, dogs.

Doors are good but if your windows aren't secure, what good are the doors? Is your house vinyl siding? (this is for anyone) Think how easy it would be to cut your way in with a couple of box cutters/knives.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are many threads here with diy alarms that can be monitored by an independent company. I'd look into something like that and away from ADT.
    Also cameras/dvr/remote viewing, dogs.

Doors are good but if your windows aren't secure, what good are the doors? Is your house vinyl siding? (this is for anyone) Think how easy it would be to cut your way in with a couple of box cutters/knives.

It is amazing how little density some exterior walls actually have.
    Even a good wall can be breached easily by a battery sawzal.....we do it all the time making penetrations for HVAC equipment.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    It is amazing how little density some exterior walls actually have.
    Even a good wall can be breached easily by a battery sawzal.....we do it all the time making penetrations for HVAC equipment.

This is why motion sensors inside are important. Ones I use are in certain rooms that are locked at night, with some proper planning you can use them very effectively.

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    Exterior of the house is brick. I'll do some searching on the alarm threads. No dogs, might have to train the cat to attack. Luckily I live in what seems to be a low risk area for crime. We are too far from town to have your average drug/slacker/turd walking around stealing stuff. I don't think our neighborhood has even had a lawn ornament stolen since I lived here. This is the house I grew up in, then bought from my parents and added a 2nd story. 40+ years, same neighbors. We all watch each other properties. My across the street neighbor actually called the sheriff on my in laws when we were on vacation. This by no means makes my home any safer, but it doesn't hurt to have a good set of neighbors that care about where we live.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    They were on the house when I moved in. Just left them there. I don't rely on them for anything other than coming on and off all the time when the wind blows. Both entry points are heavy steel doors with some upgrades on the framing I did when installing them. I have often thought about getting an alarm system, but the accounting department keeps telling me that isn't in the budget with the wonderful cost of Purdue for my daughter and 2 more coming up behind her. Anyone have any recommendations on an alternative alarm system that isn't as costly as say an integrated ADT system or something like that?

Cans on a string, concertina wire or last but not least..........."Claymores"

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Regarding motion lights, consider this. Many crimes happen at night, because the darkness offers concealment. A motion light can suddenly put very bright light directly onto a potential unwanted visitor. They have a decision to make at that point. Now that they are exposed, do they flee or continue?

The theory is that most small time criminals will probably flee as soon as the lights come on, thinking they've potentially been spotted or caught on camera.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Regarding motion lights, consider this. Many crimes happen at night, because the darkness offers concealment. A motion light can suddenly put very bright light directly onto a potential unwanted visitor. They have a decision to make at that point. Now that they are exposed, do they flee or continue?

The theory is that most small time criminals will probably flee as soon as the lights come on, thinking they've potentially been spotted or caught on camera.

I think this was true years ago but now I don't think this is the case. I think its "old" technology and and criminals have heard people talk about how they ignore the lights coming on and going off when "nothing" is out there.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Turn your outside lights on. Leave them on. People want all this Captain Tactical nonsense, sensors, laser/phasers and geegaws, whatever they see on tv or the movies (just like they all want the guns they see on tv or the movies).

People want to rationalize "home defense" of a $3,000 AR-15 but what they really need are a few bucks in light bulbs.

I've never had a Burglary with the exterior lights on.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Turn your outside lights on. Leave them on. People want all this Captain Tactical nonsense, sensors, laser/phasers and geegaws, whatever they see on tv or the movies (just like they all want the guns they see on tv or the movies).

People want to rationalize "home defense" of a $3,000 AR-15 but what they really need are a few bucks in light bulbs.

I've never had a Burglary with the exterior lights on.

We have lights on all 4 sides of our place, makes our neighbor's dark house look more attractive.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Leave them on and you'll be cool.
    I thought I was already cool cause I have this!
    light1_zpslqtm3e9s.jpg

Top Bottom