Small Pistol Primer .45 brass is annoying!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You can send it my way. I have lots of LPP .45acp but very little SPP. I'd like options on what primers I use.

I can load it easy enough. It just messes up the rhythm on the progressive because there isn’t an easy way to get it all separated.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I can load it easy enough. It just messes up the rhythm on the progressive because there isn’t an easy way to get it all separated.
    I understand. I don't have a progressive and prime with a hand primer and wouldn't therefore be a huge issue for me.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    After tumbling, i will place them, bottom up, on the kitchen table. Standing as a group, easier to pick out the evil small primer bastards when next to the normal size primer cases.
    Your wife lets you anywhere near the kitchen table with brass? one time I took mine out of the wet tumbler and laid them on towels in front of the fireplace. Cats kicked it all over the family room and I caught hell for a week.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    We actually get people that request them. Small pistol primers are much more available and less expensive. The key is to buy them pre-sorted in large quantities and just keep them separated. For people that do small lots, it's probably not worth the time though.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Didn’t JMB and his buddies develop the .45 acp with large pistol primers?
    If so, then that is the only way it should be! :oldwise:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Didn’t JMB and his buddies develop the .45 acp with large pistol primers?
    If so, then that is the only way it should be! :oldwise:
    Well-Yes + No...
    JMB and Crew picked up some 30-06 cases, cut them down, Powdered and primed them, chamfered the mouth a little, and stuffed a .451"-230 grain Ball projectile into them.
    So, actually, at the start, it was a Large Rifle Primer that "Sparked" the original 230 "Ball" ammo....Bill.

PS: If you like-YOU can do that too===A LOT of work...HA.HA...

Last edited:

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Not mad. Not complaining. But dang does that stuff mess up your groove while reloading. Thanks for letting me vent this morning.
    Friday night with the music on. Loading 45ACP on the progressive press and in the groove!!! Then that dreadful clunk from a SPP 45 case jams everything up.
    IF THAT WON'T MAKE A GROWN MAN SAY F$%K NOTHING WILL!!!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    This is where the design of the Hornady LNL really shines compared to the Dillon presses. Yanking a case off the shellplate is straightforward, and it won't dump a primer if you pass an empty shellplate slot through the priming station, either. Hitting a SPP case when you're loading LPP is still annoying, though.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This is where the design of the Hornady LNL really shines compared to the Dillon presses. Yanking a case off the shellplate is straightforward, and it won't dump a primer if you pass an empty shellplate slot through the priming station, either. Hitting a SPP case when you're loading LPP is still annoying, though.

It isn’t too bad on Dillon 550. You feel the primer not going in and can pull the case. Since I was left with a small pile of sized SPP brass I just pressed in the primers off the press and fed them through. I am assuming they will go bang.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Luckily, I have a few lifetimes of LPP .45 ACP brass. I don't collect .45 ACP range brass. Since, I use Dillon progressives, the SPP would be a real headache.

Top Bottom