• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I just finished reading https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/311115-another-25-fail.html and it reminded me of a incident that happened years ago.

I had bought (Still have it as a tool box gun) a Kel-tec .32 to use as a back up gun to be clipped in the body armor straps under my duty shirt.

I planned on using it as the last resort everything is going bad type back up. I had to quallify with it so I had bought some reloads at a local gunshow and had some hydrashocks for duty use.

I go out to the local range and am gonna shoot it a bit to make sure I am comfortable with it.

I put up a B-27 target and am at about the 7 yard line and proceed to fire the first shot......bang......I missed? How can this be?

The gun cycled fine and went back into battery. SO, thinking it must be a fluke or I just suddenly became the worlds worst shot, I step up to about the 5 yard line.

Bang.....missed again! Again the gun cycled fine. My shooting partner is laughing his @ss off and said do it again and then look 2ft in front of you on the ground.

Bang......missed again, BUT, a puff of dust on the ground and 2 bullets laying side by side un damaged with rifling marks.

The reloads had just enough powder (or primer only maybe) to cycle the pistol and push the roumd about 6-12 inches out of the muzzle and then they dropped to the ground. I fired another 10 rounds and they all did the same thing.

The box of x brand reloads went in the trash and the hydrashocks came out and things went like they should after that, however I never trusted the .32 after that and it became a novelty gun and sits in my tool box now.

I guess the moral of the story for me is never trust re-loads unless you do them yourself and know whats in them, and of course I would never use reloads for carry or duty even though I have never had a failure of one of my own reloads.

FWIW

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Not saying a .32 is a first go to round. It is what you bought it for as the last resort better then nothing gun. I have had bad reloads before also had .45 Colt bounce off a plastic barrel at 7 yrds, but would not count .45 out. The gun worked and functioned fine. A lot of gangbangers are killed e very year by a .32 also I would want be shot by my Red Rider alone. Not barating just my 2 cents worth.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    and things went like they should after that, however I never trusted the .32 after that and it became a novelty gun and sits in my tool box now.

This part makes no sense whatsoever. If anything the Kel Tec performed admirably, cycling completely on next to no powder. Why would you not trust the gun?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    That would have been funny to see. Surprising that it cycled at all. Sounds like a full power load would case the slide to really slam hard against the rear stop and be quite a handful.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    This part makes no sense whatsoever. If anything the Kel Tec performed admirably, cycling completely on next to no powder. Why would you not trust the gun?

This. I love to trash KelTec as much as anybody, but this situation speaks more about the ****ty gunshow reloads (and the owner for buying/shooting them) than it does for the gun. Had they been double-charged with Tightgroup this story would take a different tone.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Had a Taurus 85 blowup while shooting some gunshow reloads back in the early 80's. I've never bought or shot reloads since.

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I could have worded it better I guess, not the gun the caliber. While name brand ammo has always done fine in it, actually bad ammo does fine in it, I decided to step up to at least the .38/9mm family instead.

As for the reloads, shame on me, your right chezuki, the only box of reloads I ever bought.....lesson learned.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I only shoot my reloads or reloads that come from someone I know. Reload horror stories scare the crap out of me.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    After growing up hearing about uncle Gene blowing himself up in his basement, I'm a little spooky on reloads, too. Poor uncle Gene. Took forever for those eyebrows to grow back the second time.

Top Bottom