• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Wanted one of these little guys for a long time and finally got mine today. Im thinking about carrying this concealed.
    IMG_20151222_103017636_zpsbdaebbwl.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Carrying concealed? I recommend the following upgrade to your personal wardrobe:

large.cgi

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I would agree with "load too hot" conclusion. Years ago when I was young, dumb(er) and bulletproof and thought everything had to be ran at nuclear levels, I didn't heed that warning on my 44mag, and nearly had to buy a new one.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    After researching this issue I'm guessing the ammo load may be to hot ( this coming off of the Smith and Wesson forum).

If you do any reloading and have tools around, I'd measure the length of the case, and its diameter at a few points down its length... Then compare that to the factory fired case.

It wouldn't surprise me if by some odd stroke of bad luck they ran a batch of ammo with an excessively long casing and the roll crimp on that heavy hardcast just kept it from being noticed. I've seen all sorts of weirdness before. Possible that it was too hot, but I've never had a difference in extraction with either my 454 or my 357 when going over maximum. The appearance of the primers just started to change.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    Congrats on the new 'carry' gun. The 500 is one of the most fun-to-shoot handguns of all time. My brother has a 500 and also a 460 with a ported barrel. Great entertainment taking these two to his indoor range - pull the trigger for the first time and everyone else on the range steps back and says 'WTF?????'. I wouldn't mind having one myself except for the $3/round price of admission.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    If you do any reloading and have tools around, I'd measure the length of the case, and its diameter at a few points down its length... Then compare that to the factory fired case.

It wouldn't surprise me if by some odd stroke of bad luck they ran a batch of ammo with an excessively long casing and the roll crimp on that heavy hardcast just kept it from being noticed. I've seen all sorts of weirdness before. Possible that it was too hot, but I've never had a difference in extraction with either my 454 or my 357 when going over maximum. The appearance of the primers just started to change.

Sorry, lost this thread somehow and just saw your reply. I don't think it is the crimp, the load is fine before being shot and have to be forced out after shot and won't go back in once forced out. That's why I think the case is expanding.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Congrats on the new 'carry' gun. The 500 is one of the most fun-to-shoot handguns of all time. My brother has a 500 and also a 460 with a ported barrel. Great entertainment taking these two to his indoor range - pull the trigger for the first time and everyone else on the range steps back and says 'WTF?????'. I wouldn't mind having one myself except for the $3/round price of admission.
    They are very fun to shoot but yes, the price of ammo hurts a little bit. I also have a 454 and to be honest it has more felt recoil then the 500 ( at least I think it does). Probably because the 500 is ported and just a tad heavier.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Well on the bright side if you ever shoot at an assailant and miss, at least you'll blind him with the flash.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Some advise needed....... I went out tonight and put a few rounds through it. I was shooting Corbin Hunter brand bullets (440grain). Out of 6 shots all but one of the cases had to be forced out of the cylinder after being shot. Is this do to the cheap ammo or is something else wrong?

based on my personal experience to hot a load is the most likely cause for cases sticking. Once over 20 something years ago while I was at Winimac gun range in IN, a guy next to me at the 100yrd range was shooting a scoped 454 Casul(sp) and was having to literally pound out his empties with a small hammer and drift pin. I asked what the problem was and he replied he likes to load his 454's as hot as possible. I quietly and promptly moved to the 200 yard range next door placing a nice 10'-12' dirt berm between us.

Top Bottom