• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Smiths have a bit better trigger out of the box.
    BUT, the Ruger (I think) is more serviceable for an average tinkerer.
    Look up sp101triggerjob.com website
    The internals are the same as the sp101.
    If you add trigger and hammer shims, it can slick up a lot!!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just reading this thread again (yes, I'm that boring), b/c I tried out the Smith 617 yesterday finally at Point Blank in Greenwood (I moved from NE to SE Indy), and finally compared the two guns discussed here: me owning the Ruger GP100 and renting the 617.
    I put 40 rounds each through them both. I had other 22s I was using that day including a NEW (for me a novelty) S/W M/P Compact 22.
    Disappointed in the Smith after the hype, but that is just my inexperience talking.
    Ruger sights better.
    Smith groups were a bit tighter.
    Don't remember anything about the trigger, which I know speaks more about me than the gun.
    I was using from Remingtons and Federal Pack/bulk. 1250ish FPM

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Just reading this thread again (yes, I'm that boring), b/c I tried out the Smith 617 yesterday finally at Point Blank in Greenwood (I moved from NE to SE Indy), and finally compared the two guns discussed here: me owning the Ruger GP100 and renting the 617.
    I put 40 rounds each through them both. I had other 22s I was using that day including a NEW (for me a novelty) S/W M/P Compact 22.
    Disappointed in the Smith after the hype, but that is just my inexperience talking.
    Ruger sights better.
    Smith groups were a bit tighter.
    Don't remember anything about the trigger, which I know speaks more about me than the gun.
    I was using from Remingtons and Federal Pack/bulk. 1250ish FPM

I agree with CM's take on S&W revolvers: back in the day they were precision-built by gunsmiths. Great hammer, great trigger out of the box. Today? Junk. My Model 19-5 was made in 1983. Despite not being "pinned and recessed" its a great shooter. I have a 3 inch GP100. Great gun, but there is no comparison with the older S&W.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I agree with CM's take on S&W revolvers: back in the day they were precision-built by gunsmiths. Great hammer, great trigger out of the box. Today? Junk. My Model 19-5 was made in 1983. Despite not being "pinned and recessed" its a great shooter. I have a 3 inch GP100. Great gun, but there is no comparison with the older S&W.

S&W is Junk? That's pretty extreme. I agree that they aren't as nice out of the box as the old ones. And I despise the Hillary hole, but they are still fine guns that can be tuned very nicely.

Fortunately, the Hillary hole is easy to take care of and looks fine with an Original Precision lock plug.

When I think about it, really, it's amazing in this plastic world that we live in, we have such a nice forged steel option. I, for one, am grateful.

I bought a new 586 with a 6" barrel last year for not much more than a Glock 17. The bluing is superb. The blonde walnut, coke bottle grips are beautiful. Lock up is excellent. A tremendous value.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

Quality control is a issue that faces every major manufacturer today and most of the small scale operations too. SW is no exception but junk is far from accurate.

I own SWs that date from the 50's to 2017; revolvers, semis, rifles, shotguns, ARs. Of the handgun group, I have to say that my 2017 629PC compares favorably with the older revolvers in fit, performance and trigger operation.

Don't forget, we had problem SW, Colts, etc. back in the day too. Manufacturing tolerances have changed and we no longer need to hand fit a gun just to make it work.

The area that doesn't compare is finish. The bluing and wood stocks of yesterday doesn't seem to be replicated in anything but the very best high end customs. Sad....

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Quality control is a issue that faces every major manufacturer today and most of the small scale operations too. SW is no exception but junk is far from accurate.

I own SWs that date from the 50's to 2017; revolvers, semis, rifles, shotguns, ARs. Of the handgun group, I have to say that my 2017 629PC compares favorably with the older revolvers in fit, performance and trigger operation.

Don't forget, we had problem SW, Colts, etc. back in the day too. Manufacturing tolerances have changed and we no longer need to hand fit a gun just to make it work.

The area that doesn't compare is finish. The bluing and wood stocks of yesterday doesn't seem to be replicated in anything but the very best high end customs. Sad....

I read somewhere INGO was harsh, so I thought I'd better step up my game :laugh:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

S&W revolvers were never "precision built by gunsmiths" they were fitted together on a assembly line by a trained line worker. That doesn't make them a gunsmith anymore than being a automotive assembly line worker makes them a mechanic.

As someone who specializes in S&W revolvers in my shop I would say with confidence that the average trigger pull weight on a S&W revolver from the factory hasn't changed in the last 50 years. There are always exceptions but average is about the same. To be fair a lot of the older ones have had a BUBBA trigger job and they "feel" better.

"pinned and Recessed" makes 0 difference in how a gun shoots. Just costs more to make them that way. In fact If I was going to make a revolver shoot the best I can I would start with a NON pinned and recessed gun.

The new S&W guns are machined better on the inside and the parts(MIM) are WAYYYYYYYYYYY more precise and fit better. Do they have problems yes they do and way more than they should but here is my opinion that they have about the same amount of problems as the old ones did.
    Social Media make the problems stand out more as anyone can complain and 1000's read it.

I would much rather work on a newer S&W as the old ones are just full of surprises.

FWIW this isn't just a S&W problem as ALL manufactures have problems.

Top Bottom