• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Anybody here have one? I've been eyeing one at my LGS for awhile now, love the looks and feel, hate the price of 44 mag. Yes I know I should be reloading already but if you have one of these how does it shoot? It's a beautiful piece, among others on my wishlist. :D

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    You mean like this one?

<--------

629 Performance Center Compensated Hunter. The only thing I don't like about this gun is the recoil. There is hardly ANY! Very accurate and fun to shoot though. The compensator seems to make it just that much louder. I do get some complaints from the people shooting in the next bay sometimes that they are getting sprayed with mud/dirt from the berm. :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had a 629 classic but traded for a "dirty harry" Model 29. I like that one better. But it hurts to shoot it with hot loads...it still has the wood grips.:)

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I have a 29 classic and a 629, probably two of the most accurate guns I have. I like the 29 Classic the best. (trigger)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've had four 629's.........two 6", one 8 3/8" and a 4".
    Prefer the non classic models for looks, and in 629 the -3 or older (don't have case hardened hammers/triggers).
    I broke my 4" shooting 300 grainers. Those hurt my hand too. Smith fixed the gun fast, cost me 5 bucks to ship it. Trigger pivot broke. Would still run in SA, but not DA.
    Classic models have the "endurance package", and maybe all newer 629's do. On -3 or older they don't.
    But Smith takes care of its customers..........so I'd go with an all silver 4 or 6" 629 of -3 vintage, or maybe -2............and run 240 grainers or lighter in it. I had no problems shooting max'd 240,200 or 180's from my guns...........only issue was a couple of cylinders with 300's and the resultant break.

I won't consider a lawyer lock 629.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    A pinned and recessed 29 is one of the nicest handguns one could ever own. I have had several 29's over the years and always love them. I take it easy with the heavy loads, save them for my Rugers.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm not sure if your question is towards accuracy or towards handling, so I'll give my report on both:D I use to own a 29-3 nickel. It held decent accuracy, but ultimately was just too pretty of a gun for me to keep. Sold it and purchased a 629-5 (full underlug). It is as accurate as any handgun I own.

Both of them are/were not brutal even with full house loads. But, when it comes to big bores in a handgun, a shooter's grip and stance will make the difference. A somewhat lower grip on the backstrap and bending of the elbows allowing the upper body to absorb the recoil will tame things down nicely.

Another thing to consider is that a Smith n-frame can be polished up nicely on the trigger making them outstanding. 44 ammo is a factor, but I cast and reload so it doesn't hurt too much. I deer hunt with my 629 so regular practice is a must.

All of this has just been a three paragraph way of saying "Go Buy It!":laugh:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A pinned and recessed 29 is one of the nicest handguns one could ever own. I have had several 29's over the years and always love them. I take it easy with the heavy loads, save them for my Rugers.

Yeah, I like mine. pretty much a safe queen now, but I shoot it once in awhile. My brother would like to have it. He actually offered me $400 for it! Such a nice brother!:)

Top Bottom