• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Ok, I admit it, I've been totally bitten with a wheel gun fetish. Been kind of looking at the S&W 649 and 640 for a BUG, or even as an outright CC. I tend to lean towards the 649 because it offers SA/DA capabilities, but wouldn't dismiss the 640 in DA only. And I like that both can handle .357, though I'd doubtfully shoot many hot rounds through either one, I'd likely carry 38 +P for SD purposes in a revolver of this size. Any owners out there with thoughts on either of these? I like the 60 with the 3" barrel as well, but keep coming back to the 649 J-Frame snubby.

Thanks!
    Hopper

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I had a 649 and traded it for a 640, I saw no purpose for single action in a bug unless it was a 1911.

Right on, this is a better answer. Thanks! I like the option of cocking for long-shot range time, but yeah, it wouldn't be realistic to need this for a BUG. Point taken, and appreciated.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Had a 640 for years and it was a nice gun. I went with the 640 since it was a pocket/bag gun and I didn't want to risk lint getting caught up in the hammer over time.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I went with the 638 model in the 38 special caliber. I liked being able to practice in SA if I wanted to when just out plinking. I used the 638 as a EDC for a couple of years. The overall weight of the 649 is what kept me from going that route. I would imagine that shooting 38+p out of the steel frame is a dream on that 649. I bet it can really bark in 357. I'd get the 649 out of the two just for being able to shoot SA/DA.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Had a 640 for years and it was a nice gun. I went with the 640 since it was a pocket/bag gun and I didn't want to risk lint getting caught up in the hammer over time.

This is kind of a sticking point with me. Love the idea of having SA/DA (as Ricnzak mentions), but with it being something I'll carry, it's going to get all kinds of fuzz and lint in the hammer area. Probably nothing a light tap with a shop vac wouldn't quickly remove, but I don't disagree with what you're saying. Still kind of leaning towards the 649, I think.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I carried a 649 for several years. Never had a problem with lint/fuzz. Only drawback was the weight...kinda heavy for a pocket gun, usually ended up carrying it in a OWB holster. Mine was an older model, .38 Special only. Ended up selling it and carrying a Model 38 for a few years till a buddy wanted it more. Now carry a 442 on a consistent basis. SA option was good for plinking, never cocked the gun when training for defensive use. Preferred load was Federal 125 gr. Nyclad.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have carried a 640 for years....Switched to a 638 for a bit but went back to the 640....IMHO the single action option is not needed in a "belly gun"...I have a model 60 3 inch that I keep with me at all times so if I have a need for a single action mode..

Actually for the last six months I have been shooting all of my revolvers double action only as that is the way they were designed to be shot...After a couple of weeks of practice the groups were the same whether I shot S/A ir D/A.....

IMHO ofcourse....

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    of course you could always shroud a Colt Detective Special and have 6 shots available as well as SA/DA capabilities...

coltcase2.jpg

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I wish I'd never sold my 640. It was a relatively soft shooter with .38, manageable with mid-power .357, and fit the holsters I have for the 642/442. The finish is much better than the Airweight series...the "stainless" Airweights have some sort of clear coat that flakes off, but the 640 is for-real steel that can be polished. I could actually pocket-carry the 640 in a Desantis Nemesis, although it was heavy.

If I were going to CC a revolver, the 640 would top the list. I prefer something with more rounds that is easier to shoot...but, as is often said, if you need more than 5 rounds of .357, you need a SWAT team, not a handgun.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    If I had to pick one. My choice would be a 640. After shooting/learning a 640, you'll see that you don't "need" the SA capability.

If I was searching for a "new" one, I would buy the 640 Pro Series. I like the sight picture, and, the "pro" is a -1, it doesn't have the IL. The only "downside" might be the extra expense.

Product: Model 640

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have carried a 640 for years....Switched to a 638 for a bit but went back to the 640....IMHO the single action option is not needed in a "belly gun"...I have a model 60 3 inch that I keep with me at all times so if I have a need for a single action mode..

Actually for the last six months I have been shooting all of my revolvers double action only as that is the way they were designed to be shot...After a couple of weeks of practice the groups were the same whether I shot S/A ir D/A.....

IMHO ofcourse....

I agree that SA is virtually unnecessary for a CC/BUG. When I practice, every once in a while I'll fire off a couple SA shots, but the vast majority of my shooting is DA, regardless of whether the gun is SA or DA.

Personally, I like the aesthetics of the 640 just a bit better than the 649, but I sure wouldn't argue with Santa if he put either one of them under my tree.

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I really favor the Centennials (442/640/642) - they are a little more comfortable because you can get a higher grip, but you should shoot both and see if having the accessible hammer really makes difference to you.

One thing I strongly recommend - attend the snub-nose revolver class at Sand Burr Gun Ranch!

Top Bottom