• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I meant personal private property. Restaurants are a place of employment too. Employees shouldn't be victims of second hand smoke. I look at it the same as any other workplace law.

There has NEVER been a credible peer reviewed study that showed any causal relationship between occasional casual exposure to cigarette smoke and any disease including Cancer. EVER!

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    There has NEVER been a credible peer reviewed study that showed any causal relationship between occasional casual exposure to cigarette smoke and any disease including Cancer. EVER!

^THIS^ in spades!:yesway:

People and their cigarette smoke.:rolleyes: I have a hunting buddy that will tear you a new one if you smoke around him. Can't stand it, effects his asthma, blah, blah, blah... Yet he will sit around a campfire all night with smoke drifting in his face and NEVER say a word.:dunno:

Funny how some have allowed themselves to be brainwashed over the purported (yet unproven) effects of second hand cigarette smoke.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I'm reminded of a song on Bob & Tom quite a while back. The words went, "Smoke those cigarettes, smoke em nationwide. Pretty soon the smoke police won't let you smoke outside..."

The Peoples Republic of Bloomington has a ban that goes even one step further. Not only can one not smoke in a building, but it's illegal to smoke within 30 feet of the entrance to a building.

Look, I understand both sides of the issue, but I tend to think that it should be up to the business owner as to whom they want to cater to. If they want to allow smoking, then they do it knowingly that there will be a certain amount of the population that will not frequent their establishment. Just like there are places many of us will not frequent because they do not allow guns. And if someone doesn't want to work around smokers, then they need to find a job somewhere else. :twocents:

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    ^THIS^ in spades!:yesway:

People and their cigarette smoke.:rolleyes: I have a hunting buddy that will tear you a new one if you smoke around him. Can't stand it, effects his asthma, blah, blah, blah... Yet he will sit around a campfire all night with smoke drifting in his face and NEVER say a word.:dunno:

Funny how some have allowed themselves to be brainwashed over the purported (yet unproven) effects of second hand cigarette smoke.

Veeeeeerrryy interrrrrestink. Does he cough and/or use his inhaler while around the campfire either??? :rolleyes:

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana

Sorry, I just don't buy it. There is TOO much evidence out now that links second hand smoke to all kinds of disease INCLUDING cancer!

Every employer, in my opinion, has an obligation to its employees AND customers to provide a safe environment.

But, THANK GOD, we all have our right to our own opinions.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I am shocked that on a web site where so many people believe so strongly in personal choice and freedom there would be people supporting a smoking ban. Freedom is freedom and the more we let the gov't control what we do the more they will control what we do. That is losing freedom. So you do not like smoke. Go to a smoke free bar or restaurant. I do smoke and enjoy a cig after a meal. That is my choice. If you feel like you or the gov't have a right to tell a property owner what they can and cannot do on their own property then where should it end. I do not like the smell of onions. Does that mean I would support the ban of onions in public places? I think if you did enough research everything at one time or another has been said to cause cancer. I believe alot of it has to do with genetics. If cancer runs in your family does that mean that you should not be able to have children because odds are tax payers will eventually have to pay for all or part of their treatment.

You people that say freedom is great but only the ones I personally agree with make me sick. We are either a free country or we are not. Getting to be about time to choose.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Sorry, I just don't buy it. There is TOO much evidence out now that links second hand smoke to all kinds of disease INCLUDING cancer!

Every employer, in my opinion, has an obligation to its employees AND customers to provide a safe environment.

There is TOO much evidence out there that links fried foods to all kinds of disease INCLUDING heart disease.

There is TOO much evidence out there that links high sodium foods to all kinds of disease INCLUDING high blood pressure.

Many places like McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's provide their employees with free meals when working.

When are we going to get past this smoking ban so we can start banning the menu at McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's as well as a good number of other private business enterprises?

We can not leave it up to citizens to make their own decisions. They are just too stupid to be trusted to know what is best for them. Only the nanny state knows best.

(PS GO POUND SAND)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

My plant has atomized lube that is everywhere. It's bad for you. They say don't inhale it. Sometimes smoke from burning oil is so thick you can't see twenty feet in front of you.

But light a cigarette and you'll get yelled at because kokomo banned smoking from places children can go (children have been allowed in our plant twice since I've worked there).

Makes perfect sense.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I used to smoke.

I think smoking is stupid for a number of reasons.

I think the idea of the government telling somebody they can't allow someone to smoke on their property is bull****.

I hate being around cigarette smoke. That being the case, when I am around somebody that smokes, I tell them I hate that ****, put it out, or I make myself scarce. I hate that it is almost impossible to get away from, but I think it should be up to the property owner, not the government.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i'm conflicted about it. i feel like government should stay out of everything. but as a non smoker i hate even having to walk by smokers because the smell gets on my clothes and in my opinion it just plain stinks. if they could design a cigerarette (sp) without the stench and making my allergies and asthma flare up ..............

jake

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    i'm conflicted about it. i feel like government should stay out of everything. but as a non smoker i hate even having to walk by smokers because the smell gets on my clothes and in my opinion it just plain stinks. if they could design a cigerarette (sp) without the stench and making my allergies and asthma flare up ..............

jake

I'm with ya. I grew up in a two smoker household. Started smoking off and on when I was 12. Started actually smoking at least 5 a day when I was 16. Fully quit within the last 3 or 4 months. Now it is almost like I am allergic to cigarette smoke. Just riding in my dad's truck with him for 5 or 6 miles while he smoked a cigarette made my nose close up, my eyes itch and water, and my throat sore. And I had my window down all the way! (His window was cracked, so the smoke was going out his window).

I noticed if I go without one for a good long while, and then I have even half of one, second hand smoke will not affect me.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    from some things ive heard, theyre trying to push this thru for the super bowl...cuz out of towners dont want to sit in smoky indianapolis bars....if theres any truth in that then this idea is just rediculous...visitors should not dictate local law

This is part of it. There is a group of people in Indianapolis that have "city-envy" and these folks tend to be very concerned about what the Progressive/Liberal visiting columnists will write about Indianapolis. Not because they care so much about Indy, but because they feel it will reflect badly upon them and their "cosmopolitanism". (Generally this group is comprised of "world government", "citizen of the world" types). Not all that surprisingly, but ironically, this same group usually is very vocal about legalizing the smoking of pot; presumably without any of these restrictions they wish to place on cigarette smokers. As someone said, most people really only wave the civil rights flag about things that THEY want; they're perfectly willing to throw YOUR civil rights under the bus.

There is, of course, politics involved as well. As long as Republicans held the city council, this was unlikely to pass; but since the Republicans lost the council, and the Democrats will take control next year, the Republicans figured they could steal the Dems thunder by passing this while they still held control, thus depriving the Dems of claiming a victory they could tout during next year's campaign season.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Smoking is plain nasty. It prematurely ages you, causes all sorts of cancers, results in COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) and it stinks. On a regular basis I have to go into smokers homes and can't wait to get home and shower. I hate smoking.
    That being said ...

Tobacco should be outlawed OR the government shoud lay off law abiding citizens. If smoking is so bad, they shoud swear off their addiction to the tax revenue.

ALB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    I absolutely can not stand cigarette smoke. To me, it smells like burning trash. I do occasionally smoke cigars and a pipe but I do it outside or in my vehicle while driving (can't remember the last time I have though). The bars/clubs in Ft. Wayne started being semi decent (other than the human trash) after they implemented a ban. I've got good friends that smoke and not a single one of them has an issue with stepping outside for a few minutes. As far as restaurants, if you're going out to eat and smoke while eating your meal, you're not really tasting your food so you might as well stay home.

PS. That 20 minutes of hacking up a lung every morning looks really cool.

If they could figure out how to ban them we could probably go from semi decent to decent or maybe even nice.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    To those that say us smokers should have extra insurance to pay for any illnesses related to smoking I say BS. 80% of a cost of a pack of cigarettes is taxes, since we are paying that tax and you non smokers are not paying that tax, that money should be set aside for us to be used by us when and if we need it.

I invite 30 smokers to come stand in my garage for an hour and chain smoke like there is no tomorrow and see how many die.

I also invite 30 non smokers to visit that same garage with a couple of scooters running for an hour and see how that works for them.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I'm a reformed smoker. [the worst kind]lol Can't stand the smell, etc.etc.
    The liberal little town of Vincennes, its city council in all its wisdom is currently considering adopting Bloomington In. no smoking policy. The decision will not be made until after the new mayor and council members are in place after the first of the yrear.
    I believe that everyone has a right to smoke and that everyone has a right to breathe smoke free air.
    I'm getting really tired of the nanny state we live in. Where does it stop?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I'm a reformed smoker. [the worst kind]lol Can't stand the smell, etc.etc.
    The liberal little town of Vincennes, its city council in all its wisdom is currently considering adopting Bloomington In. no smoking policy. The decision will not be made until after the new mayor and council members are in place after the first of the yrear.
    I believe that everyone has a right to smoke and that everyone has a right to breathe smoke free air.
    I'm getting really tired of the nanny state we live in. Where does it stop?

It doesn't stop. Eventually they will try to ban something that non smokers enjoy and then they will be pissed off and complaining about it.
    Be it Big Macs, fries, fried chicken, Bacon, etc......

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    It doesn't stop. Eventually they will try to ban something that non smokers enjoy and then they will be pissed off and complaining about it.
    Be it Big Macs, fries, fried chicken, Bacon, etc......
    That's the real problem that everyone faces. When the "Control Freaks" get their way on an issue they always move on to another thing that "Needs to be controlled." :noway:

Top Bottom